listerine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM

Reaction score
I was googling info on pipe cleaning and found some folks suggesting listerine to clean the stem. Does it work? Will it damage the stem?

If you just buy some decent rum then you can have a drink and clean your stems with one purchase. Save the listerine for afterwards.

I agree, If you can't find everclear (it's like paint stripper) use 151 rum for cleaning your pipes stem.

If you want a quick sweetining you can use your favorite shot, I've used vodka and had good results.

Just remember the wood of your pipe will soak up the flavor of the product used to clean it.

I use cheap vodka or generic isopropyl alcohol. Listerine strikes me as being too sweet and not strong enough (I think its only 25% alcohol or something like that).

I've used listerine to de-gunk a nasty stem, not on a bowl though. Works nicely for disinfecting the plastic bits though.

The possible lingering mintyness would probably irritate me...Everclear and other drinkable spirits are either complimentary flavors or will evaporate. Considering grain alcohol (ethanol) is the main disinfectant in Listerine, might as well just cut out the mouthwash flavors and use the toughest stuff around. :lol:

Everclear is not sold in Ontario Canada.

JM":l1q7bst3 said:
Gosh'derned Canada! :suspect:

...but really, you can find some strong drinkable spirits there I'm sure... I hope... :lol:

I'll use isopropyl alcohol for the stem and my fav sherry for the bowl.

Thanks folks.

JM":pkbpvrbf said:
I'll use isopropyl alcohol for the stem and my fav sherry for the bowl.

Thanks folks.
Sherry! I'm an oloroso and fino fan myself. 8) Delicious.

JM":iesa7o02 said:

Isopropyl alcohol for the stem then, with regular cleaning after each days use, any of the above will work fine. :drunken:

Thanks folks.

I recently, just two days ago, fell in love with Alvear's Amontillado sherry and will definitely use it in the bowl.

Should I change the alcohol the stems are soaking in if it starts to turn brown in colour? How long do I soak?