Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stapf

Reaction score
I'd heard this before, but never thought it would be this dramatic. I bought a Tim West estate pipe at the same time I started trying Burley Perique tobaccos. So I naturaly dedicated it to them. It smoked so wet I was ready to either sell it or send it for repair. Before I did something that drastic I decided to try my old standby Kajun Kake in it and I smoked nearly the whole bowl with no gurgle. I used 1 pipe cleaner during the smoke and I think I.could have smoked it all the way with slightly better technique. Previously I was using at least 5 pipe cleaners a bowl and often many more than that. Live and learn. I had no idea it could be that dramatic a difference.

I too have noticed this from time to time. Some pipes you can get careless with and puff
way to fast with and there forgiving, while others demand a slow cadence.
Although a few freehands and not to poo poo Tim West in anyway (he makes a fine pipe IMHO), if that's what we're talking about, do have a tendency to be wet smokers because improper drilling techniques or stem work. ;)

It definately could use some work as it won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way through with the stem attached. It is the only pipe I have that refuses to do so. Not a freehand, but not quite traditional. It is a bent that is based on a traditional shape, but the bowl is panelled. I was told it was from the early 80's. At that time it wasn't considered such a big deal if you couldn't pass a cleaner from what i understand. I'm just glad I found a tobacco it likes as I like the pipe, but the gurgle was really annoying.

stapf":m9y8ipfs said:
It definately could use some work as it won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way through with the stem attached.  It is the only pipe I have that refuses to do so.  Not a freehand, but not quite traditional.  It is a bent that is based on a traditional shape, but the bowl is panelled.  I was told it was from the early 80's.  At that time it wasn't considered such a big deal if you couldn't pass a cleaner from what i understand.  I'm just glad I found a tobacco it likes as I like the pipe, but the gurgle was really annoying.
There a quite a bit of pipes out there that won't pass a cleaner but, that doesn't mean it was drill improperly nor does it mean it will gurgle. Passing a pipe cleaner doesn't mean it won't smoke well but, for me it's just a PITA to have to wait till it cools to pull the stem to clean it. Yep! I'm lazy and want to run a cleaner through my pipes right after I'm done and be done with it.

One of the mysteries of life.

For me remembering which pipe does what with each tobacco is the problem.

mark":5xd1urex said:
One of the mysteries of life.

For me remembering which pipe does what with each tobacco is the problem.
Amen Brother, which is why I maintain an Excel spreadsheet with pipes across the top and blends down the side. Where each intersect is where I have my notes.