Living sitiuation issues.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
I live in an a apartment and its in a great location, have several good friends who live here and the price is right, but management sucks hard here. When I first moved in they informed me that they would be doing renovations to the first floor apartments, I am on the second. It turns out there was hazardous chinese drywall in they first floor apartments and they knew and did not tell but rented to me any way. They have been gutting the bottom floors to the studs. Taking out everything but the brick walls and framing.

They guys removing it threw it in open air dumpsters in our parking lots but they wore full body tyvec suits to handle it. So have this dust everywhere for the tenants to breath but the contractors had big dusts masks.

I asked them to test my appartment for contaminated dry wall and they agreed. A few weeks later I asked for the results and they stated their key didn't work on my appartment so they didn't test, they decided just not to tell me. They then gave me the results for my neighbors appartment stating that all the upstairs apartments where unaffected and I had nothing to worry about. I don't trust these guys as far as I can throw them.

At first the management was ok they kept up the place and kept the grounds clean. Now they are kind of just like "F it". It took them three months to spray for bugs in the appartment even though it is written in my contract that they spray upon request. They didn't do it till I didn't pay 150 dollars on my rent and told them it was for services not rendered.

So they taped a letter on my door telling me to pay up the 150 in three days or they would issue an eviction notice.

Upon that they also removed the laundry room on site and told us to pretty much deal with it, they would have the laundry room renovated in three months and to do laundry else where. Didn't offer any reimbursement , I spoke with the lady here on the weekend to see about getting a break in rent or some other option to work it out but she stated she wasn't allowed make any decisions.

This isn't about the money, I have the money to pay rent no problem, I just want a safe and clean living environment that has all the facilities that I payed for. They have a class action suit against them for the drywall but it mostly pertains to the people on the first floor who had chinese drywall (according to them the second floors didn't sustain any damage during hurricane katrina, ya right.) I'm don't know what to do here , they don't keep management available on weekends and I work a standard work week. The people they keep in office on the weekends tell you the can't make any decision and you have to talk to one of the managers who are only available 8 - 5 , mon - fri. I have number two on the way and don't want to deal with this crap

What should would you guys do here? Sue, get the hell out of dodge, or deal with it?

Sorry for the bitchin'
Thanks for listenin',
Ian
:D

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Ian.

Simple solution, pick up the family and move to Texas! Cheap rent and standard of living, plentiful jobs, plus you can come chill with me and the gang. ;) 

How close are you to johnson space center? I work at stennis space center, could look around.

I think the answer is simple. You don't trust them now why would you think you would trust them in the future. I'd take a lot of pictures of what is going on and then get the hell out of there. If the management is bad now, I can tell you that that will never become a better situation unless it is sold to new management company.

i.keenum":li7w3cdp said:
How close are you to johnson space center? I work at stennis space center, could look around.
Ha! Far, far, far away! The Johnson Space Center is in Houston. It's a 12 hour drive from here!

A Lot of people forget how big Texas is!

If it were me I'm sure my impulse would be to duke it out. But they aren't worth your peace of mind. You'll be irritated/pissed during the whole time you contend with them. Get the hell out of dodge and try to forget the whole thing. Nothing is worth disturbing your peace of mind unless physical violence is imminent. They aren't worth it.

Sounds like you've fallen in the "investment" class of a complex. Minimal investment of time and resources on property to maximize investment return. The "we will accomidate your needs" approach by a mgmt. firm id usually the first sign of this condition. It's not gonna get better if you stay "...and try and work with 'em" so I'd look for other digs. Sadly this is becoming more the "norm" in the apt. world even down here in Texas. It's all about the ROI for these guys. At todays money you could probably buy or rent a house as cheaply as renting in a complex. It's a sad but cut-throat world, the 21st century has become. :twisted: 

For the safety of your family and your peace of mind you have only one option and that is to move out and to move out quickly. The owners of the property are only interested in an immediate return on their investment. They will probably sell out or file for bankruptcy within a year.

AJ

I would trust them either, specially with a small child and one on the way. While planning to leave I'd try to get an investigation going by the authorities into the drywall thing and anything else there doing below board. Sounds like the typical scum bag management to me sir.

Unless you have documentation and receipts to present as evidence you're probably screwed. You cannot withhold rent unless you've given written notice to an issue, the landlord failed to adress it, and you spent the money out of pocket to remedy the issue. You cannot just say "You didn't spray for bugs so I'm withholding $150 from the rent". Now, if you made a written request for the bug issue and had a reciept for service from a pest control company, you could withhold that amount.

If you feel the landlord has violated safety standards there are governmental agencies you can contact that will visit the site, review the issue and practices, and even intervene on your behalf. I'd start with your local zoning and ordinance office, a tenant landlord mediation service, and even OSHA regarding the hazardous waste handling. If you can get documentation for violations and make the argument that the landlord is penalizing you with threats of eviction for not remaining silent on unlivable conditions and safety violations, then they are screwed big time. But, it will be a fight and may not prove worth it to you. The flip side of that, obviously, is that they get away with it.

If you decide it's best to just move, you may want to contact all of those agencies anyhow, don't tell them you're moving, and let the paper trail get started. That way, when the landlord tries to sue you for damages and back rent, etc, you have something to stand on. Also, if you get the local agencies on their back they may just be happy with you leaving without paying anything more in the hope that you don't pursue legal action (if they realize they are in the wrong).

Whatever you do, educate yourself on the laws of your region and cover your ass.

Both pest control and laundry are written in to my contract, seems like the laws make it easy for the renters to get away with screwing tenants. I don't have time or opportunity to take them to court. Guess it's time to get looking for new digs . I know a few people who settled out of court and got all their rent paid back. I'm going to push them to give me the name of civil suit lawyer , don't have the money now but it would take bout a month to save up for the new deposits and stuff, boy I hate moving. The have some duplex's down the road that are about a hundred more a month but seem much better maintained.

Sometimes putting a bug in the right ear can get things done without taking anyone to court and will make things rough on them after you leave. I wish you the best of luck sir.

It was briefly mentioned in the local news they ran the story. I've just never asked about the civil suit and figured things would be alright seems I'll have ask about it get the F out and see if anything comes from it.

There are probably free assistance programs out there if you look for them. California has the dept of fair housing, and even local law schools that offer free assistance to low income people who can show need (like an agressive and unfair eviction). If you look, you'll probably find something similar in your region. You'd be amazed at what a phone call or letter from an attorney, legal assistance program or government agency will do to stop an agressive landlord in their tracks.

My whole point about the receipts for bug service is that you understand your rights and responsibilities. Your contract may have language that states exterminator service will be provided, but if it doesn't stipulate penalties for not providing the service, you have to follow the laws of your area. If you can't afford to go to court now, you won't be able to afford it in 3 months when they sue you for everything under the sun. The simple act of not paying all your rent owed without just cause is grounds for eviction and suing you in small claims court for a whole lot of money. The judge won't care a lick why you thought you had good reason, you have only the language of the contract and the language of the law. If you owe them money, pay it. If you think the living conditions merit a non payment of rent, better get your ducks in a row properly via the resources I mentioned earlier. If you don't, it's not going to be a matter of if they sue you and win, it'll be a matter of when.

Maybe you should talk to your folks for some advice?

Ian, the laws actually favor the tenant, you just have to know what the laws are and how to play by them. They are different in each state. Ultimately I would get out of there. If laundry and bug spraying are actually in your lease then you do have the ability to charge them for those issues, you just need to learn the proper ways to do so. I have rented for most of my life, and I would concur with most people here, they are not going to get better, probably going to get worse

rev

Ya I'm going to talk to management tomorrow. Money isn't a big issue more principle than anything. Probably pay up tomorrow and if no  way is made im out.

Sadly it's a lot like Vegas, the odds are in the Houses favor as far as legal action. Unless you have an unlimited amt of funds available, just cut your loses as they say and get on down the road with new digs or stay there and just live with it. Sometimes life just sucks. :twisted: 

Ocelot55":notjxs4s said:
i.keenum":notjxs4s said:
Ha! Far, far, far away! The Johnson Space Center is in Houston. It's a 12 hour drive from here!

A Lot of people forget how big Texas is!
Sounds like a good opportunity to enjoy your pipes during the commute:lol!: 

monbla256":wwqzlw1g said:
Sometimes life just sucks. :twisted: 
No truer words have ever been written. :evil: 

AJ

Sorry to hear it Ian, I agree with everyone else and I hope that you can get out and into some place nicer for your family's sake.