Local Blends.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klbxmiller

Reaction score
Just got to the local (the closest local) tobacco shop and i picked up a pound of their blend called middle earth. I had a sample of it about a month ago and had to get some!!! THe shop guy told me it was like 40% Oriental, 40% Latakia, and i forgot what he said the base was. Any how i have about 100g (may not be an exact mesurement but it's in a small mason jam jar which i estimated from jaring other tin's of tobacco i've opened) but to the point i wouldn't mind trying someone else's local favorite. If anyone wants to maybe trade PM me and would love to send it. I got it from www.riegelscigars.com in Ft. Wayne Indiana.

I wonder... do any of your (speaking to anyone) B&M's still blend up by hand? The only things I see are jars in the front filled with tinderbox blends... :x

Nope. He just renames and it stays on the shelf in the flimsest of bags until it sells. If you like your tobacco dry...

Moving along on this tangent, how common is it that we find the local tobacconist took a blend and just renamed it to whatever? My favorite tobacconist actually does do this, but I find it easy to forgive him this one failing, considering his selection of tins exceeds all the other local smoke shops' combined.

It almost seems counter-productive. Not hard to imagine a fellow looking for Philosopher and passing it by because it got renamed to Alien Incubator.

It's also annoying because if I wanted to fulfill klbxmiller's request, it seems all too easy to be misled into believing that I've got a house-made blend, when all I've really got is a house-made label.

I've just gone through my own tobaccos and sorted out what they really are, based on my faith that the written description at least somewhat matches the contents. Here are my results:

Not Renamed
1-Q
Hazelnut
Serendipity

Renamed
Black Cavendish, renamed to "Captain's Choice"
Black Cordial, renamed to "Blend Four"
R Blend (match for House of Windsor brand Revelation blend), renamed to "Silver Oakum"

klbxmiller:

I just purchased some Bishop Burley from a local Edward's today. I'll burn a bowl or two and if it seems worthy of passing on, I'll let you know and maybe take you up on your offer!

I am fortunate to live half an hour away from Faders in Baltimore, Maryland. A small portion of their stuff is re-named Lane and Stokkybye tobaccos, but the vast majority of their stuff is still hand blended in house. Haven't smoked much of their house English blends in awhile, but I remember Maharajah, Istanbul, and #325 being favorites back in the day. It's definitely a shame to see fewer and fewer shops hand blending these days, but with no Syrian Latakia and many Orientals no longer available, it is understandable why many shops don't bother. Just my 2 cents anyhow.

-Scott

I dunno.. Tobacco Corner here in memphis, has a few blends that I cannot find..anything like them ..whatsoever..
Full VA Flake, with a strong Vanilla Topping - best smoke ive ever had! It in no way taste like Mac Baren/ or CAO.. its a plain Vanilla Bean type vanilla, nothing dark, and deffinitly comes through the smoke, and smokes cool all the way down..

They do have some VA blends - some McCleland 2015, 5125 all that stuff...that they rename into QM, 5125(i think) is renamed "Lord Elliot Balken"
but all in all.. its all good baccy' and cheap/fresh to boot.

Im smoking some stuff called "Your Fathers Blend" - its kind of a crazy smoke - straight VA, shag cut and has a nice nutty/vanilla taste.. to it..

there is a place in my local mall that renames some of the brand blends but mixes one with a base of 1-Q they call ben's best that i haven't been able to get the mixture down and another one they call frosty mug taste just like root beer tastes interesting but bites horribly. there is another tobacconist a little further away that will tell me who they get it from and label it just like they got it, the interesting thing is that the only in house blends they do are ones customers make.