Long rant - "Smoking a pipe is hard work"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
So Christmas day, I was over at an almost-relative’s house for dinner. To set the scene a bit, I was in a small smoking room with my mother and her significant other. My mother was enjoying her Parliament Light cigarette (barf!), and her significant other was enjoying one of the Perdomo Lot 23 cigars we gave him for Christmas.

I was breaking in one of my Christmas gift pipes with half a bowl of boswell's premium burley while we all chatted about this and that. I had to re-light a few times as I spent too much time chatting between puffs, and after about the 3rd relight my mother remarked something to the effect of "Seems like smoking a pipe is hard work".

I thought about it a bit and realized that she is right in a sense when compared to cigars or cigarettes. They were both lit up and puffing by the time I got my tobacco, pipe, cleaners matches and tamper out of my bag. The cigarette was finished before I even got the pipe fully lit, and the cigar was about finished while I still had almost 1/3rd of the bowl left.

It is not easy being a pipe smoker these days. Sometimes it seems like the world is conspiring to prevent you from just relaxing and enjoying a dang pipe when really that is all you want to do. I am often surprise at how difficult it can be to make the time to enjoy a pipe.

I used to meditate a bit, and find that meditation presented similar mental challenges to pipe smoking, and similar psychological rewards as well. It seems that modern life is so often full of distractions and is almost designed specifically to take time away from the pleasurable pastimes and activities...those very things that help us to better deal with and endure the less pleasurable and fun aspects of our day to day.

It seems to me that this is wrong, and I have never quite been able to reconcile these feelings with the realities of...reality. Thinking on it now, reminds me of how I felt during my teenage years: just a general feeling of dissatisfaction and resentment towards alot of the everyday this and that. I think the difference between then and now is not so much that those thoughts or that attitude dissapeared, but more as if they have been counter-balanced with a profound appreciation and love for those all too rare times when I am able to just sit and smoke my pipe, or relax at home with my wife, or take a vacation to some new and exciting place.

It seems to me that these are the things that I must always keep in mind and make every effort to maintain and protect as they are constantly under assault from the daily grind. These are the things that I worry about losing when lying awake at night, unable to sleep ‘cause my brain won’t shut up. Pretty much everything else I do is endured so that I can have these things and enjoy those times.

A Buddhist would probably say that these are just more worldly attachments, and should be "let go" in order to reach enlightenment. I am not so sure.

I don’t really know where I’m going with this. I guess as the title suggests, this is just a long rant really. Assuming you read this far, feel free to share any thoughts or opinions. Or not. :D

-Adam

Hey Frost!

Jip I share in those sentiments and wonder about the same thing.
Life is fast and the pressures of the economy and the rat race.. just trying to stay ahead makes me think that this cant be all we have been put here to do. This is where the pipe comes in. I force myself to take a time out 3 times a day. STOP! the entire process is a calming ritual. Selecting the pipe, choice of tobacco, filling it poring a large cuppa joe........ when I smoke thats all I do, I smoke at home in the comforts of my man cave or patio. At this time I am quiet....... I kindle my love affair with lady nicotine. The biggest mistake you can make is to smoke with cigarette junkies and the like who will not understand this ritual.
They will think you are mad. Then again there are pipe smokers that think I am not true pipe man. I too have found my self in similar situations and smoke more matches than tobacco.
I do however enjoy a pipe in the company of fellow brothers. I smoke with one of our brothers, Muddler. We chat but we smoke more...... that is fantastic.

You Should read some of the essay and article posts on pipedia.org or on the website of brother GL Pease. Greg has a Fantastic outlook on this and I believe that his blends are of the best in the world. For me that is, his blends are best enjoyed in peace and quiet. They are so complex and multi layered that they demand ones full attention to really be enjoyed to the fullest!

Interesting post brother frost!

Regards

I have to agree.
It seems this modern world has (or is trying) to program us to be constantly productive. I personally have grown to resent this even though I'm guilty of treating others with contempt, impatience or resentment for not being productive (in my eyes) but also resent others when they treat me that way (yin & yang kind of thing). I do find solace and peace when I can just sit and smoke my pipe, the key is making myself do it without feeling guilty that I'm not "being productive". Remembering that the "productive" part is the renewing of my mind and relaxing of my body.

EJinVA..........

Well said my man...... your status has just been elevated to PIPE GURU! never thought of smoking time in that way! Well done!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Just two points, well unless I ramble.

Pipe smoking can be as complicated or as simple as you desire.. Tobacco pouches, tampers, pipe cases/rolls, pipe cleaners, smoking jackets, and on and on and on are not essentials.. You really only need a pipe, a pinch of tobacco, and a wee small bit of flame. I have a ton of pipe nails, and a few nice tampers, but most often I just use my pointer finger. I guarantee you won't over tamp, twice anyway :) tobacco pouches are cool, but a pre-loaded pipe or a zip lock works just as well, and so on and so on... Don't misunderstand me, the rituals and rigmarole is fun sometimes, but its not essential to enjoyment.
As for relights, its a non issue, it happens, some baccys and pipes more than others... Situations also lend to relights, the guy who talks the most relights his pipe the most, and sometimes the guy that thinks the deepest needs more relights, its just a given.

I liken it to eating, cigs are kind of like big macs.. Temporarily satisfying, almost instant, but of little lasting value and with few if any redeeming qualities.. Cigars are like a steakhouse visit. Good food, relatively fast, but at a high price..
Pipes are like a home cooked meal, even the simplest requires more work than the other options, but you have more control over flavors,quality, and quantity and it can be as casual or formal as you wish.

puros_bran":028jh1a9 said:
I liken it to eating, cigs are kind of like big macs.. Temporarily satisfying, almost instant, but of little lasting value and with few if any redeeming qualities.. Cigars are like a steakhouse visit. Good food, relatively fast, but at a high price..
Pipes are like a home cooked meal, even the simplest requires more work than the other options, but you have more control over flavors,quality, and quantity and it can be as casual or formal as you wish.
PB my friend. You are a philosopher!

I was going to post some thoughts myself but I have to finish my laundry, then run to the store. I have to go to Home Depot and get some flooring and I need to go by the bank.

Oops! :face:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Who ever said it was a complicated matter???????? Nothing about the ritual of pipe smoking is complicated for me........
PB my man agreed on the tamper comment you make......... still a baccy jar is far cooler than a ziplock..... I do confess, my weekly quotas are stored in tupperware! Baccy jars and fancy tampers including pipe zippo's are cool to pull chicks! :lol:

Frost,
I think everyone finds that at some point pipe smoking is sort of pain in the arse, but this too will pass. I was nearly a hermit when I started smoking a pipe, so got to fight through constant relights in privacy. Having passed though my hermit phase, and now a more astute smoker, I now find that I neglect conversation and let it go out instead of the pipe. Perhaps, in keeping with you Buddhists reference, there is a form of pipe enlightenment, when the smoker transcends the pipe, conversation, ect to become one with existence…or the smoke. Don’t smoke, be the smoke. In a word, “inpipenment.”

The thought of what our society is trying to shove down our throats as mentioned in the above posts just gets me aggrivated so I am not going to comment. I am just going to get back to my pipe and enjoy my annual after New Year's vacation. To H...., uh, with Obama and all the rest of the knuckleheads that think they have an inalienable right to tell me what to do! They can all kiss my ass, and knowing them they would probably enjoy it!

Nice one... JUSTPIPES.......
AMEN..... I am on vacation as well........ how about a bowl full of WALNUT, that will calm us all down! :lol!:

I think we are all missing the point here...... as long as we all smoke no matter how when or for what reason....... THAT GENTS, IS ALL THAT MATTERS!
AS BROTHERS OF BRIAR...... UNITED WE STAND!

Piet Binsbergen":bzgzzk47 said:
AMEN..... I am on vacation as well........ how about a bowl full of WALNUT, that will calm us all down! :lol!:

I think we are all missing the point here...... as long as we all smoke no matter how when or for what reason....... THAT GENTS, IS ALL THAT MATTERS!
AMEN! :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":7q1n30vo said:

Hah. I knew I could count on the BoB to bring things back into perspective for me. :D

JUSTPIPES........
Shwooosh.....pop..... the lid off a new tub of WALNUT......here I go!

FROST..... there you go brother........ it's a basic matter...... nice to see you...... you have opened a mass debate as you can see! nice one!

Piet Binsbergen":85xsxfml said:
JUSTPIPES........

FROST..... there you go brother........ it's a basic matter...... nice to see you...... you have opened a mass debate as you can see! nice one!
Gosh I hope not :D

At least we can probably count on the debate remaining civil and pleasant with all of these contemplative pipe smokers around.

Piet Binsbergen":vyvdwffc said:
JUSTPIPES........

It is a grand thing to see a brother that knows of the finer leafs of our passion! :D

Hmm...perhaps I should try this Walnut. A little TAD may be just the thing to cure my malaise.

HAR!!!

Obviously Frost hasn't joined the rubber room.

Anyway, where the debate? It looks to me like we are all in agreement.

Frost":0o4rj85r said:
At least we can probably count on the debate remaining civil and pleasant with all of these contemplative pipe smokers around.
Amen,
We send the others to bash around in the Rubber Room :D .

I often get on bents about the times. I overshot my birthday by a century or so - I find this in every area of my life.

I recently watched the movie Up in the Air, where Clooney's character is a motivational speaker and does a thing about being minimalist. He asks you to put everything you care about in a backpack.

Watching the movie I started thinking about all my PAD and TAD - I'd miss them. But then I realized what I love about pipesmoking is the simplicity and meditative relaxation. I could be just as happy walking into a corner store and coming out with a cob and pouch of PA. Funny how we collect "stuff" but a good exercise to ask ourselves once in a while "could I do without it/them?"

Frost,

Give Walnut a bash...... Great English blend...........ask JUSTPIPES!

Justpipes,

thanks for the shout out brother, nice to see I'm not the only walnut junkie round here. In South Africa, we cant get the stuff so we rely on friends and connections to fly the stuff in when they go over to the states. From what I believe, Walnut is readily available there. Here it is worth GOLD! Our fantastic Government has just passed a new law that any tobacco may no longer be shipped by post, internal or abroad. Last year we were mail ordering the stuff on the net. Now they confiscate the goods at customs!
What is really dumb, is that you may bring it in with your luggage when you travel but you may not post it! How stupid is that!!!!!!
So from one Walnut brother to another, I am really screwed!

p.s....... RUBBER ROOM..... where is that? never been there......... I really haven't connected with a brother that I did not get on with.......... Has anybody ever met a pipe smoker that is nasty? besides Joseph Stalin.... and I am sure deep down he was a pleasant guy! :lol!: