Long smokes uncomfortable. What's a better pipe shape?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bent pipe man , and the reason you mentioned about teeth hurting is why I love my bent pipes. Notice in my avatar I am smoking a pet 303. But some of my favorat pipes are my savinelli 614s. They are a full bent with a nive thin saddle bit. They are very comfortable in the mouth, and a pleasure to hold. Smokes very nice.
IMG236.jpg

plumbernater":h8byjmuv said:
I am a bent pipe man , and the reason you mentioned about teeth hurting is why I love my bent pipes. Notice in my avatar I am smoking a pet 303. But some of my favorat pipes are my savinelli 614s. They are a full bent with a nive thin saddle bit. They are very comfortable in the mouth, and a pleasure to hold. Smokes very nice.
IMG236.jpg

Piggy lighter :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Btw great picture - lots of nice pipes but the piggy lighter is an epic win!

Fraternally

Jers

I'm also with the "hold it more often" crowd. I got my first full-bent a few weeks ago. I don't care for it. It's just a hair heavier than my 1/2-bents, yet I don't like it. I guess I don't like the bowl so close to my nose.... a nose warmer, for sure. I suggest you try an inexpensive or estate full bent first.

In my experience nothing is more comfortable than a vulcanite stem on a pipe that weighs 50 grams or less. I find that acrylic stems are very uncomfortable even with lighter pipes. I would look for a vulcanite stem so you can see the difference. Up keep is not an issue if you get a bottle of Obidisian stem oil. Plus the newer vulcanite doesn't need as much care as the older ones from the British makers.

I'm more of a drooper than a clencher, ie I let the pipe hang for short periods by the stem button. This works, even with larger pipes if the bend is good and the button substantial. At the moment, I'm smoking a 75 gram After Hours bent billiard that is close to 7" in length, it is very comfortable over an hour or so smoke. You will just have to learn what kind of pipes suit your style, that will come with time and a little experimentation. I'm also with Harris on the Vulcanite stems, to me, they are the most comfortable. If I know that I'll be walking around with the pipe, I take one of my few with an acrylic stem. Drooping does not work when walking.

Charatan_AF_Bent_Billiard_Gallery.JPG

Twin jets of Porky brilliance! :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

Until recently I used to have my favoured 'go to pipe' which was a Peterson 317 system pipe (my youngest daughter threw it and it split the bowl, a lamentable loss I must say for I no longer have a 'go-to' pipe).

Why was it such a favoured pipe for me you might wonder, well, it was a very light weight pipe and the curvature from the shank through the stem to the button was 'perfect' in every sense of the word. Like yourself I find clenching very uncomfortable and given time I find some facial muscles around the jawbone socket become uncomfortably painful, on occasion even cramping causing quite considerable discomfort. I learnt however that if I allowed the bottom of the button ridge to rest against the back of my lower teeth and the top of the stem to gently make contact with my upper teeth it sat perfectly without any clenching at all.

If you can budget for a more expensive pipe then that is fabulous, but in the price range the Peterson 317 system pipe is pretty damn hard to beat, I can fully recommend this pipe to you. Should you choose to purchase one and for some truly bizarre reason find you don't like it there are a huge amount of Peterson lovers abound, you will find no problems moving it on, but I doubt very much you will not be totally satisfied with this pipe.

Should you prefer a slightly larger bowl then the Peterson 312 System pipe might suit you better, should I find myself in a position to be able to replace my own 317 I will consider the 312 as I found the bowl on the 317 a little too small .

Kirk Fitzgerald":famlxl26 said:
Should you prefer a slightly larger bowl then the Peterson 312 System pipe might suit you better, should I find myself in a position to be able to replace my own 317 I will consider the 312 as I found the bowl on the 317 a little too small .
Don't forget the 314. It fits in there between the 317 and 312. I have a 20s (which is just a more gussied up version of the 314) and it's one fantastic pipe.

Thanks for the recommendations and feedback, everyone. It's very much appreciated.

I'm not against the "hold it more" practice. I do plenty enough while I'm idly loafing and reading or what have you. But, while I'm up and about, that's not much of an option or desire.

Suppose a full bent is something to look into.

I'll be circling back to identify and search for the specific named models, but off the top of anyone's head, could y'all make any recommendations for a full bent that's not quite so big as a full-on Oom Paul? Thanks.

614 Savinelli, Its the pervect full bent pipe in my opinion. The in side bowl diameter is 3/4" Heres two savinellies . the one on the right is the 614. the one on the left is a 9604 wich is much bigger and alot like the oom paul. I have 8 614 in differnent styles, love them all.
IMG325.jpg

oops picture came out up side down. The 614 is now on the left. well it was. not now

Or, conversely, get a big Canadian and smoke it for a while, Everything else will feel light, afterwards.

Why not just visit a good local pipe shop? They can help you select the perfect pipe that works best for you.

rothnh":qbscmmgh said:
Why not just visit a good local pipe shop? They can help you select the perfect pipe that works best for you.
^ This ^

Shop local when you can boys.

Dave_In_Philly":mrzf9nbi said:
Kirk Fitzgerald":mrzf9nbi said:
Don't forget the 314. It fits in there between the 317 and 312. I have a 20s (which is just a more gussied up version of the 314) and it's one fantastic pipe.
Good shout, never thought of that. ;)