long term tobacco storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serif365

Reaction score
Either through some kind of hoarding frenzy or inate conspiracy theory that pipe tobacco would soon be banned from Internet commerce I have accumulated MANY bulk blends in plastic bags (you know, the little ziplocks you get from P&C). I now have enough tobacco to last me 50 years at the rate I smoke (a bowl a day) and at my age my sons will be delving into my cellar long after I'm gone. The tins I've bought are self-contained but I want to preserve the bulk tobacco for future posterity. Unless you guys (or gals) have a better idea my intention is to store the tobacco in Mason jars with a partial vacuum. I want the blends to continue to age, meld and mellow so I'll need a little oxygen in the jars.

Any other tried and proven suggestions (I want to get at least 10 years storage)? Have any of you older pipers had any experience with long-term storage? :scratch:

Mason Jars are best. For optimum long-term storage, just be sure to use new lids and check the rings every so often to be sure they remain tight. Eventually, during the aging process the jars will seal themselves.

I spent so much time packing away 40+ bulk blends yesterday that I didn't have time for a smoke. The upside is that my tobacco is safely preserved and I like being able to see the mix through the glass. All this said I think I'll load up and smoke a bowl of Glengarry Flake! :sunny: It's 5:00pm in Austin Texas and a cool 58 degrees (quite a drop from 108 a couple of months ago). Great pipe weather!!! :)

I stick my mason jars in the microwave for about ten seconds before I slap the lid on them. The tobacco stays moist but warms just enough to make the seal pop within a couple minutes. Others dip the jar in hot water before putting the lid on for the same effect. Glad the jarring is working for you brother.