Looking for a favorite tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just joined the forum and have a question about blends. I prefer Cavendish and burly. I have not sampled many different blends, but i notice in many there is a "perfumey" aroma in some that I do not like. I suspect it is Latakia, but am not sure as I haven't been able to isolate yet. I tried some Dunhill Nightcap and noticed it was there in a very light taste. It is not in any of the Captain Black blends. Any ideas from all you old hands?

Well since Nightcap has a boat load of Latakia and this is a flavor that you're only lightly noticing in it, it could be the Perique which is also a fairly fragrant and pungent tobacco.

I had suspected both Latakia and Perique. I'll keep an eye out for both in the samples I just ordered to confirm which it is. Thanks for the advice.
Geoff

What is this? It's getting so you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Geoff.

You will find many more Geoffs in the U.K. than in the U.S. Even though born in Indiana, my dad just liked it spelled "the British way" rather than Jeff.

Fire cured burly and cavendish? How do you feel about some maple added in there? If that sounds good to you, Meat Candy is now available as a regular blend from P&C.

It may sound like an abomination, but it's actually pretty tasty.

I'm sort of a sucker for maple blends, and another burley/ maple blend that also has perique in there, and I highly I suggest is Essence of Vermont.

"Vermont Meat Candy" is one of the worst but most hilarious pipe tobacco names ever devised. :lol:

I'm only betting Latakia is the mystery pipeweed because I can't see many folks mixing expensive Perique with cavendish too often. I could be wrong.

Or, your pipe is ghosted and you're tasting something not intended--sometimes certain tobaccos will release a ghost, while others can mask it.

How about "Grandma's Apple Pie" for a blend name? As good as Vermont Meat Candy, I'm sure.

No ghosts when I tried Nightcap. I have never smoked anything but Captain Black in that pipe and this is the first time I noticed that particular aroma coming from a blend. Nightcap has both Latakia and Perique, so I strongly suspect Latakia is the culprit I don't care for. I have ordered some other samples without any Latakia. That should finalize my research and tell me what to look out for in future purchases. I have read reviews of both tobaccos and perique sounds more spicy that perfumey. I'll know in a week or so when the samples come in.

Dunhill's Royal Yacht is what ya need! It;s got flavor, aroma and some kick all WITHOUT any Latakia :twisted:

monbla256":k9ihx5wo said:
Dunhill's Royal Yacht is what ya need! It;s got flavor, aroma and some kick all WITHOUT any Latakia :twisted:
Leave behind Captain Black's pirate ship and jump aboard the Yacht, and that's not sea sickness you're feeling. :no:

DrumsAndBeer":5qr8n7y0 said:
monbla256":5qr8n7y0 said:
Leave behind Captain Black's pirate ship and jump aboard the Yacht, and that's not sea sickness you're feeling. :no:
YES !!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

monbla256":1xfxcdws said:
DrumsAndBeer":1xfxcdws said:
monbla256":1xfxcdws said:
YES !!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
aka Royal Yuck
aka Royal Ye Gods What Was That?
aka Royal Yeargablefuple