Looking for a nice strong tobacco with a kick

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
I was reading some reviews on tobaccoreviews.com looking for something with a nice nico kick for those times when a heady smoke is desired. Ran across a review for Gawith & Hoggarth Black Irish Twist that gave me a LOL moment. This is from a guy who gave it a 4 star rating mind you:

"...Yes, it smells like roasting flesh, and yes it's an incredibly strong smoke, but I like very strong tobaccos, and never mind a stinky tobacco if it smokes nicely, and this one does. It smokes nice and cool (though the nicotine on your tongue is enough to make keeping something cool to drink handy a necessity), is extremely satisfying, and best of all, it not only ran my wife from the room, but entirely out of the house. Based on that alone, it's a keeper, even if tasted like burning pitbull turds. HIGHLY recommended, but caution is advised."

Same tobacco, but another reviewer who didn't like it and gave it a 1 star:

"...Having loved both Brown Irish X and Brown Bogie I decided to try some of this and BIG MISTAKE!! This stuff is absolutely vile, the most disgusting thing I have ever smoked. It literally tastes like a completely burned steak and smells like a dozen burnt steaks, I couldn't even force myself to smoke even half the bowl before I dumped it in the garbage. I like my steak bloody and i like my smoke to taste like tobacco not burnt ass! "

Any of you brothers ever tried it? :lol!: :lol!:

I smoke it regular....

I would suggest you smoke brown irish or happy bogie instead. The black has an oily greasiness to it. "Why do you smoke it then PB?" Good question.. same reason I eat McDonalds everyday for lunch I guess, its an aquired habit..lol Then again I breathe diesel fumes all day so maybe that has something to do with it. I like it, but most people seem to not for whatever reason.

Along the same lines, 1792 is famously likened to "dead mouse in a tin" and said to be brutally strong.

:face:

Peterson's Irish Flake is pretty stout... an excellent smoke, in my opinion.

I second the vote for 1792; very strong and a unique, enjoyable blend.

Old Joe Krantz doesn't taste strong exactly, but the nic hit (for me at least) has a jaw-clenching wallop.

Warning: all the tobaccos I list are truly HOs. I smoke one of them at least once a day, and am basically my body has adapted to their whomp on the head whallop of nicotine. They are very, very strong. I read about pipers who feel Old Joe Krantz or Cumberland being strong, but they pale in comparison.

If GH could eliminate the industrial oil overtone in Black Rope I think I'd like it a lot.
To give you an idea of how much I smoke it, I bought 3 ozs in ~03; half of it is gone. I give a 1.5" plug to those who chew with strong admonitions about the heavy nicotine.

Right now Irish Flake and Dark Flake are running neck to neck in my #1 spot, closely followed by pre-transition (< '06?) Gawith Bracken Flake (thank you Natch), GH Dark Plug and their brown ropes, the Happy Brown Bogie the best of the lot.

If GH could eliminate the industrial oil overtone in Black Rope I think I'd like it a lot.
It's olive oil -- part of the manufacturing process. If they'd eliminate it, it wouldn't be what it is.

Yak, in what way would Black Rope suffer without the olive oil?

gandalf, Mike Rutt responds to regular queries about the availability of Dark Plug. He will tell you when he or his distributor is ordering and at what point on the horizon his getting some is.

Last time he had it he had a 2 500 g box limit; in my experience with this tobacco, given its sporadic availability you have to strike hard and at least get a box.

Mike if it didn't have the oil cooked into it, it'd be Brown rope wouldn't it?

I have no idea. In the information about this tobacco it's supposed to be stoved brown rope-no mention of olive oil, not to say it's not there; Gawith probably doesn't want that part of the recipe known.

Yak, how did you find out about the olive oil?

PB,

Your binomial in hex is 42, 72, 61, 6E, 64, 6F, 6D. Other than a love of 6s, what is this about?

I read it on the internet, AB -- probably years ago, in a discussion of HO Lakelands.

May have been on the Knoxboard.

LOL... Mike I told you in the other thread you asked in, You're just looking at it the wrong way.. Try 8-bit ASCII

Doc Manhattan":10eoawp4 said:
Old Joe Krantz doesn't taste strong exactly, but the nic hit (for me at least) has a jaw-clenching wallop.
I tried OJK, now I wish the whore would just leave so I could find another. While she is in my house all I want to do is play her games. She is so exquisite!!
Ed

These are my favorites that use the strong dark fired tobaccos, I would order them thusly in terms of strength alone (not flavor or overall how much I like them):

GH Brown Irish X
GH Dark Flake (either one)
Pete Irish Flake
SG 1792 Flake
SG Bracken Flake

I smoked one bowl of the Black Irish and dumped it in 5 minutes. Chewed it twice, and didn't enjoy it. Guess we weren't made for each other. Just couldn't stand the flavor.

As far as pure strength, I have a bunch of this Indonesian tobacco called "Tambolaka" that is absolutely brutal. Got it through a guy on another site. I can smoke the African leaf in the above tobaccos without incident but this stuff is strong enough to put down a water buffalo and it has a profound earthy flavor and aroma.

Well I ordered some Peterson's Irish Flake, GH Brown (Happy) Bogey, and GH Brown Twist...
let's see if they can drop me to my knees and make me cry "Uncle" :geek:

Tim in Ohio":3rss84sw said:
Well I ordered some Peterson's Irish Flake, GH Brown (Happy) Bogey, and GH Brown Twist...
let's see if they can drop me to my knees and make me cry "Uncle" :geek:
Very nice! I guess there's a little masochist in all of us. :lol: The Irish Flake is just awesome stuff. I've heard that the happy bogey is the same tobaccos as the irish twist, just a smaller "ring gauge" and maybe different proportions to compliment that. I wonder how it affects the flavor. I've only had the Irish and it is top notch tobacco. It's got a really nice flavor and aroma, blows SG Brown Rope 4 out of the water in my opinion which is like smoking cardboard in comparison.