looking for a taste-alike bulk tobac

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnylaw13

Reaction score
So being green or a n00b to pipes, I'm still not really sure what I like, but I do know I enjoy Middleton's original Black & Mild. I also know where I've found it FS pouches of it are outrageously expencive! So I'm hoping my fellow brethren could point me to a less expencive bulk that tastes and smells similar to B&M.
thank you for any help!

Hi Johnny,
I've never tried the Black and Mild but, if you're looking for an 'easy' mild smoke take a look at Mc Baren's 7 Seas Regular blend. Smells wonderfully chocolatey in the pouch and has a mild yet satisfying (to me) smoke. I'm a bit of a greenhorn too Johnny (a year or so) and this is proving to be a 'go to' smoke for me.
Regards,
Stick.

I have not smoked Black & Mild in quite a few years. I can't remember the exact flavor but I highly recommend 4Noggins 3 Blind Moose. I absolutely love it. It is one of the best areomatics and it is cheap.

J_Rock":ynv3oyov said:
I have not smoked Black & Mild in quite a few years. I can't remember the exact flavor but I highly recommend 4Noggins 3 Blind Moose. I absolutely love it. It is one of the best areomatics and it is cheap.
just run down to a gas station, they probably have singled cigars on the counter for a buck. Break it up, stuff that in your pipe and smoke it! That's actually what I was doing for my 1st couple days, they are pipe tobac cigars after all.

Stick- just looked it up on P&C, it does sound delightful, sounds like it could be close also. I may have to give it a shot!

Try Lane's 1-Q, or 4-Noggins Killington or Brigadier Black Alamo from P&C.  All are good aros and are not too expensive. All can be gotten in bulk, with the exception of the BBA which comes in an 8OZ. tin.

What else have you tried that you find Black & Mild superior to? Seems to me that you have nowhere to go but up, and I speak as a Middleton fan.

Richard Burley":h5yp8ltv said:
What else have you tried that you find Black & Mild superior to?  Seems to me that you have nowhere to go but up, and I speak as a Middleton fan.
Well im not sure i would call it superior, just liked it but so far in the few weeks ive been smoking pipe have had
SWR
Capt. black reg
borkum riff bourbon
sutlfill PS golden age
sutlfill vanilla custard (pretty good)
capt. black cherry (should have listen to reviews on that one!)
comoy's cask no.1 double english (like it in the morning)
a blend from Book World they call Black Bear or "classic" depending on the store
and today i got in my 2 for 1 from P&C of CAO black which im finding pretty delightful

maybe its the mildness of the black and mild i like but being so new to this im not sure what it is that i like about it, the aro of it is nice also

What were you thoughts on the Captain Black?

Lane makes quite a few mild aromatics that are inexpensive, available in bulk, and probably the closest approximation you'll find to smoking a Black and Mild. In fact, some of the Lane blends are pretty much the various Captain Black blends minus the heavy does of Propylene Glycol (the preservative that keeps it from drying out, but also can goop up your pipe or make it hard to keep lit...it's the same stuff used in many cigar humidifiers). What it sounds like you're looking for is a toasted black and or toasted golden cavendish, likely with vanilla added as a flavor.

If you walk into any brick and mortar tobacconist, many of their aromatic "house" blends will actually be Lane bulks (sometimes alone, sometimes in combination) with a different name. They're also carried by just about every online retailer I've ever seen.

Honestly, if you're enjoying those light, drug store aromatics I would imagine that Lane is going to be your best bet in terms of cost and availability.

Ian, I thought capt. Black was well, it was just okay. I suppose it would do in a pinch, well no not that either cause I cant get it within 30miles. I had to order it to try it. I definitely dont think I would make it my daily smoke. Though it was better than the borkum bourbon. Maybe if I tried the gold it would be better or even the black. I do know that I like black cavandish but solid cav gives me wicked dry mouth I've noticed.

Well, tried B&M one more time to make sure and well my opinion of it has very much changed. Not enjoying it so much anymore. But I ordered a pound of 1-Q.. Without having tried it so I hope that turns out well for me n

Go to pipesandcigars.com (no affiliation) and check out Lane Ltd. LL-7, Peter Stokkebye, and Scotty's Bulk Blends Trout Stream.  These are all really tasty, high quality, inexpensive variations of Vanilla aromatics that should be along the lines of Middleton's Black & Mild.