looking for a work break pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitepony1986

Reaction score
hey there i am looking for a cheap as in less then 40$ pipe that has a small bowl i can smoke during breaks at work. my only real stipulation is no cobs..i own cobs and like them but i am a bigger fan of briar. Maybe dr grabow has a small bowled pipe? any help would be apprciated

The only site I know of that lists them as a group is at Iwan Ries.  Others seem to intermix them.  There is a little Ewa Aunis 163 there that might fit the bill well.

Nice thing about getting one there is that it will get you on their mailing list and they are one of the few that sends out an annual catalog.  On the negative side, they tend to be a few bucks more than the other vendors.

You're going to be hard pressed to find anything new at that price that will smoke halfway decent. You can take a chance and grab a new Kaywoodie on ebay for $25-$40 and it may smoke OK and a lot of them do run small. It won't be great, but it will be a pipe. If you want to consider $50 and an estate pipe, you could probably pick up a Savinelli or even a Stanwell on the bay. At roughly $60 you can get a brand new Savinelli that will be a pretty good pipe. There are also small bowled meerschaum pipes on ebay that are of decent, but not great, quality at around $50..

You can pick up an estate Kaywoodie for $15 on the bay. If you like Dublins an 01, or 08 shape would fit the bill and if you like a small billiard look for a 68, or 13 . The shape # will be the last two digits on a 4 digit # these would be about pre 1940 after 40 they just used two digits for the shape. Hope this hels MIKE

P&C has Dr.grabow's sectioned off pretty well with decent descriptions.

Based on description alone, the Lark seems to fit your preference. The description says something to the effect of "Smaller bowl, should be name for 'having a smoke on a lark'"

I'de go with a small cob like Kyle suggested, possibly the Eaton.  Kaywoodie also made a line of small bowled pipes called "Campus" pipes, as in smoke 'em between classes.  They can be had on ebay easily enough.  KW also made a line called "Colt" which were relatively small bowled but more to the point they were very short nose warmer style pipes.  They show up fairly often as well.

It'll be tough to find a better bargain than the Eaton IMHO.  Check out Mars' price!  :cyclops: 

http://www.marscigars.com/corncob-freehand-2.aspx

whitepony1986":qbmbef54 said:
my only real stipulation is no cobs...
Just gonna place that there. 8) 

I'm not a fan of tiny pipes so I can't help much more beyond what I saw read about Dr.Grabow. My fiance has a pipe that is a very undersized Dublin with a yellow circle on the stem we got in our pad lot a while back. I'm not sure who made it but it's perfect for her short smokes.

And we also have a vest pocket pipe(but it also fits well into any pocket or small tobacco bag). I enjoy it and so does the fiance, you might want to try that as well. It has a very small bowl size. I could send you a pic for size comparison to a normal size, pm me your email and I can get it to you asap.

whitepony1986":8g76qr5w said:
hey there i am looking for a cheap as in less then 40$ pipe that has a small bowl i can smoke during breaks at work. my only real stipulation is no cobs..i own cobs and like them but i am a bigger fan of briar. Maybe dr grabow has a small bowled pipe? any help would be apprciated
A CLAY pipe is cheap, small, usually about fifteen minutes depending on what you smoke and to a degree disposeable !! :twisted: :twisted: 

It's not just a cob, it's a Missouri Meerschaum. That counts.

Some people have to protect their image...I get it. :tongue:

8)

you could also just pack half a bowl. use it as a way to break in new pipes. i bought a bontemps little guy off of viking club pipes for little smokes. it works okay. smokes nice, but most of the time i just pack half a bowl and use the little frenchy for strong baccy.

If the OP is worried about (or bothered by) the look of a Cob, then the MM Country Gentleman might be more suitable.  Since it's stained, it's much darker than the average cob.

i actually just went to walgreens and picked up a dr grabow lark it seems like it will work fine but thank you all for your suggestions

Don't know if you could track down a estate Boswell 10 minute puffer that would be in your price range. I seen they had some on their website this week new for 80 or 90 bucks. I also have a Brebbia Lord that is a very small pipe that goes for $40.00 new.

whitepony1986":4bcamflm said:
i actually just went to walgreens and picked up a dr grabow lark it seems like it will work fine but thank you all for your suggestions
My first pipe back when I was about 16. It was a straight panel pipe, standard mortise/tenon. It's now in the possession of GuitarMyFriend around the forum.

The old ones worked great, I hope the new ones are okay. Enjoy it!

8)