Looking for Recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Neil

Reaction score
I have been getting a good grasp on Cuban Cigars lately, and have been doing some reading surrounding the rest of the world's production of cigars. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some manufacturers who use interested mixtures in their stogies. I am specifically drawn to the Camaroon (obviously because it is hard to find) and Samatra leaf. I am also looking for some manufacturers who use lighter leaf from Jamaica and the Canary Islands.

Any recommendations?

Neil, I haven't smoked a Jamaican cigar in decades, but Barrington House makes several various Jamaican Puros, they're pricey (though likely less expensive than Cuban cigars):

http://www.cigarjamaica.com/

My all-time favorite Cameroon is the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol.You can check it out here:

http://www.bestcigarprices.com/blog/cigar-review-ashton-heritage-puro-sol-belicoso-no-2/

A damn good Cameroon is the original La Perla Habana Morado, especially for the price -- $60 a box at BCP and they do ship internationally:

http://www.bestcigarprices.com/cigar-directory/la-perla-habana-morado-cigars/la-perla-habana-morado-robusto-13109/

Wow Roth, those are great recommendations!

Thanks a million, I'm going to have to check some of those out. I really apperciate it!

You're more than welcome, Neil!

Please let us know what you think if you do decided to pull the trigger  :) 

Hello Neil! Roth is right, the Ashton Heritage is a delicious cigar and worth a try, unfortunately it is no longer made with a Cameroon wrapper. They started making it with an Ecuadorean Habano wrapper. Along those lines though, a tad milder, Arturo Fuente's Don Carlos is a great smoke with a camaroon wrapper. Tatuaje is one of my favorite brands and does some wonderful things with a Sumatra wrapper. Their "7th Capa Especial" or Cojonu 2012 "White Label" are both fantastic. They have a bright peppery spice with light cocoa and ceder elements. They're not rich, but there's a definite sweetness to the smoke. Medium to full body.

Thanks Pipa, I guess I was fortunate then because I was able to pick up some Ashton Heritage Puro's with the Camaroon Wrapper from SmokingPipes.com. I was quite impressed with the smoke, I'm pretty sure I posted somewhere on here about it.

I'm was not aware that Ashton no longer uses the Cameroon wrapper on the Heritage Puro Sol -- the whole idea for creating the cigar is steeped in history and based on a special relationship which centers on the Cameroon, as stated by Ashton founder Robert Levin, below.

"In November 2003, the new Ashton Heritage Puro Sol was introduced and immediately received a 90 rating from Cigar Insider and numerous accolades from industry insiders and consumers alike. The Ashton Heritage Puro Sol will be a cigar steeped in the tradition and honor of two legendary cigar families, the Fuentes and Meerapfels. This exquisite cigar marks the first time a Cameroon wrapper has surrounded an Ashton blend and the results are stunning. With the marriage of Carlos Fuente Sr's blending and the African cameroon wrapper selected by the late Rick Meerapfel, the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol is destined for a place in cigar history."

As Jerimiah Meeraphels so aptly stated, "Is there any tobacco in the world that can compete with this one?”

http://www.cigarjournal.co/index.php/us/back-issues/1571-ausgabe-22013-nmeerapfel-tobacco-group-nexzellente-deckblaetter-aus-kamerun

Fortunately, the original Ashton Heritage Puro Sol, with the genuine legendary Meerapfels Cameroon wrapper, is still available for purchase online and at many B&Ms by discriminating cigar connoisseurs.

Yes. Its a wonderful story. Our local Ashton Rep wasn't even aware of it until the change was in motion. There was no press release from Ashton or write up in any magazines. The transition happened about 1.5-2 years ago. Because of the lack of information distributed, many vendors are not aware that the wrapper changed. If you look at the Ashton Cigar website they clearly state that the wrapper is an Ecuadorean Habano with no reference to the wrapper having been Cameroon in the past. Don't get me wrong, I still think that the "new" Heritage tastes fantastic, I just wish that Ashton had been a little more transparent about the change. If you really want the Cameroon wrapper, you need to find someone that has inventory that is 1.5-2 years old.