looking to branch out into tinned tobaccos..where do i start

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiperCub

Reaction score
Has anyone tried GL Pease, Navigator blend? i've wanted to get away from house blends and aromatics for a while, and i'm looking for a medium to full bodied smoke..and i've always wanted to try like, a Balkan or a VaPer. The only problem is, i dont have a local b&m anymore since i moved, and was just wondering if you guys had any ideas to get me started

Just out of curiosity, why Navigator? I only ask because while it is a pretty full blend, it's not a VAPer and it has no Oriental or Latakia to speak of, so a Balkan it is not.

You might think about McClelland's Frog Morton. It's a Latakia blend, but it's got a sweetness to it (not a cased sweetness like an aromatic, though), and I found it to be one of the best blends for crossing over into a new genre.

VaPers can be tricky...it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing just how Perique-y you'd like to go. You can always try Orlik Golden Sliced, which has almost no perique in it and would sort of like dipping your pinky toe into the shallow end of the VaPer pool (which not to say that it's lower quality, by any means - its naturally sweet, tasty, and a very easy smoke). For something a little sturdier, you might look at Telegraph Hill by G.L. Pease. You'll definitely notice the perique, but it's not over-the-top...plus the Virginia in that blend makes it a very nice smoke.

All three of those are widely available online and none of them will break your budget.

If you want to try a Balkan you can smoke all day without blowing the top of your head off after several bowls, give Presbyterian a try. It's a VERY NICE smooth easy smoking English/Balkan and I get mine from smockingpipes.com 100g a month along with my Dunhill Royal Yacht as my monthly "stock" 'bac. You might want to work your way thru some other Va's before you try RY as it's a rather full bodied but tasty blend with a LOT of Lady 'N' in it !! A VaPer you might want give a try would be some Orlik Golden Sliced which does not hit you over the head as do so many of Mr, Pease,s blends do. JMHO  :twisted:  :twisted:

Rob_In_MO":uudnruh0 said:
PiperCub - PM me your address and I'll send you a few samples on Friday.  (my day off work)
Mighty fine offer there Rob.

so, not only do i get engaged, i get offered new tobacco....wow guys...i dunno what to say

PiperCub":u6ru24h8 said:
so, not only do i get engaged, i get offered new tobacco....wow guys...i dunno what to say
I'd say you found the right board to join. :twisted: 

You won't find a better group of people anywhere on the net. They've been there for me and treated me right, and I've tried to do the same for others in return.

i've been wanting one for a while..but i'm on a tight budget...anyone know of a cheaper, but still quality churchwarden?

Well, unlike what my tobacconist recommended and kept insisting was "best" for me, I see nothing at all wrong with GL Pease Navigator for a first tin. If my Tobacconist had let me trial some of those supposedly overly-strong burley and English blends, I would have been smoking the pipe now for over 35 years.

Seriously, it's a fairly full-bodied smoke. Sextant is similar and no less tasty, a bit more medium to full bodied. It would also make a great choice. But then, nearly any GL Pease English, Balkan, or flake style blends would be a good choice to start with.

Orlick Golden Sliced is my everyday go to tobacco. Wonderful taste thats got just a little perique to round out the Va.'s. A fine tobacco that's moderately priced and a favorite of many of our members. :) 

AJ

For a good down to Earth Perique Blend, you could try McConnells Scottish Cake.

ajn27511":3g43tpkq said:
Orlick Golden Sliced is my everyday go to tobacco. Wonderful taste thats got just a little perique to round out the Va.'s. A fine tobacco that's moderately priced and a favorite of many of our members. :) 

AJ
I second this OGS recommendation. It is really a great smoke and and a bargain for what you are getting.

I realize you were not asking for VaBurs, but two of those that won't break the bank and will give you a peek into tinned tobacco out there are MacBaren's Old Dark Fired and Navy Flake. Navy Flake has a little rum/honey topping.

PiperCub":dvn0knud said:
is the rum whatmakes it a navy flake??why is it called that?
It is not easily quantified because current Navy Flakes are all over the map. Some have perique like the PS LNF. Some have Latakia like the Samuel Gawith Navy Flake.

I am not an expert, but shooting from the hip here, I am going to claim that Navy Flakes are at heart pressed Virginia flakes with a little something else to add interest. I think historically they were stored in rum barrels to keep them from drying out. They picked up some rum flavor, and some of them do come with a rum top note (in the tin at least). Many of the tins have a ship on them so you will know they are really Navy Flake.

Someone else can do a better job perhaps with the definition. If mine is stupid, I will be a man about it and defer to wisdom I don't have.