looking to try somthing new

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsweeney

Reaction score
I have bein trying to find new tobacco to smoke right now my favorite is
Dunhill London blend. So I want ideas of thing to try ...?

Give us an idea of what you're looking for...what do you like about London Blend? What do you think is missing? Looking for smoky, sweet, spicy, neutral, strong, mild, etc? Give us a place to start, and you'll have more suggestions than you can shake a stick at.

Try SG Commonwealth, has a good amount of smoky Latakia .

I like the London, too--wasn't mad about it at first, but have really come around to it. If you're interested in another Dunhill blend, their Nightcap is pretty great, in my opinion, and their 965. Then of course there's Penzance, if you can find any, and SG's Squadron Leader, and and and...

...hell, man, on further thought, just pm me your mailing address and I'll send some samples your way--don't have any open Nightcap on hand, but should have some of the rest, and one or two others that might float your boat. Beats blind-buying stuff you might not care for...

Strong Latakia with a little edge:

Captain Earle's (Hermit) Ten Russians
Dunhill Nightcap
C&D Pirate Kake
GLP Sextant
C&D Star of the East

Great stuff, all of it.

Cool of you to offer samples to the guy, GG. :cheers: Love this place.

8)

mcsweeney":eg7gdd2z said:
I have bein trying to find new tobacco to smoke right now my favorite is
Dunhill London blend. So I want ideas of thing to try ...?
Everything and anything :twisted: :twisted: But since you've started with a good blender I'd stay with 'em and try some Standard Mixture, 965, Nightcap, Royal Yacht and some Dunhill Flake. The best advice concerning this is that you try a FULL TINS worth of these and try just two at a time. Since your just starting, stick with one or two blends to allow you to LEARN ea. Ping-ponging daily will not really allow you to learn just what you like :p

Since I just mentioned I am smoking it, I recommend Hearth and Home's Ten to Midnight. Very tasty. Can be gotten for reasonable as well.

Dunhill London was the first big love of pipe tobacco. Nightcap was next. Another favorite of mine is Frog Morton on the Town. All three have been in heavy rotation for years for me. I'm branching out and now enjoy many C&D and G.L.Pease blends of English or Va/Per blends.

I'll throw GLP's Odyssey into the mix here, mostly because I have been smoking a lot of it lately and it's REALLY good.

It's very smoky, but most important it's balanced, complex and flavorful.

monbla256":hztmvw0b said:
Ping-ponging daily will not really allow you to learn just what you like :p
Hrmmmm...I'd have to lightly object, on personal grounds: the palate can get very tired of a flavor quickly. It'd be better to get a few tins of something that sounds good, smoke the stuff until you either start liking it or start getting bored (or determining a solid "yuk") and then move to something else...with the full intent of going back to the one from which you're taking a break. The worst-case scenario would be "I hate this tobacco, but someone on BoB said I should stay with it..." ...that'd be awful for some newbie.

Going back-and-forth can be okay, provided the smoker is smoking well enough to not tire out the tongue, but if they're chuggin' like a train on the pipe, that's going to bring up a host of other problems that isn't necessarily the tobacco.

It seems to me by "ping ponging" I simply started to notice I, quite naturally, started reaching for certain tins more and more...suddenly, I had favorites. Pragmatic tasting is a learned skill.

8)

I loved the plumcake great flavor very little bite. BTW this site is awesome thanks for showing me

mcsweeney":ip0545v3 said:
I loved the plumcake great flavor very little bite. BTW this site is awesome thanks for showing me
Plumcake and BoB are both awesome, if you ask me. I always smile at Micky B gettin' some love.

8)