Looks like the younger Bro's gotta cut back on your Starbuck

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good for you! Oh, no wait...it's bad for you...hang on, this just in, it's good for, nope, never mind, okay we're pretty sure this is going to kill you...eventually...maybe...possibly.

All things in moderation my friends.

Local TV has these Health Experts that spout that crap. Wine, coffee, etc. seem to change benefit/scare by the hour. That is then followed by a global warming update or a DC crisis. Every so often they actually report news. They seem apologetic when they have to do so.

No surprise to me. I've always thought the younger generation was defective.:twisted::lol: :twisted:

My favorite line from the report:

The study did not find a higher death risk for adults 55 and older. Sui says there may be a bias — the research may not include unhealthy older people because they might have already died.:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

Not sure why that's so funny to me. Maybe it's because of the picture in my mind of an angry research analyst sitting at a bar slobbering in his beer cursing some poor dead chap for having the nerve to die before he could get his data.

I might have a warped sense of humor but I'm alive and can drink all the coffee I want.:tongue: 

Or maybe I secretly harbor some pent up resentment for research analysts.:affraid:

AJ

ajn27511":g1zr8gqz said:
No surprise to me. I've always thought the younger generation was defective.:twisted::lol: :twisted:

My favorite line from the report:

The study did not find a higher death risk for adults 55 and older. Sui says there may be a bias — the research may not include unhealthy older people because they might have already died.:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

Not sure why that's so funny to me. Maybe it's because of the picture in my mind of an angry research analyst sitting at a bar slobbering in his beer cursing some poor dead chap for having the nerve to die before he could get his data.

I might have a warped sense of humor but I'm alive and can drink all the coffee I want.:tongue: 

Or maybe I secretly harbor some pent up resentment for research analysts.:affraid:

AJ
"... they might have already died " has got to be the BEST part of it  :lol!: :lol!::lol!::lol!::lol!::lol!::lol!:

I have consumed my fair share of coffee. I always drink it black. I quit coffee last month.

The biggest problem I noticed when I would walk into my local Peet's coffee, was with people, most younger (& some very obese) ordering the caloric & fat equivalent of a banana split every morning as their choice of a caffeine delivery system. :pig: 

"I'll have a 20oz triple extra whip caramel macchiato please."  Uh no, sorry that's not coffee. You really want an ice cream sundae with coffee flavoring. :p

Quit treating your local Starbuck's like it's a Swensen's and you may just live to see old age.

A couple of years back, a Swedish research group declared that mother's milk was bad for infants. My high opinion of Swedish research groups went down seriously! I presume the study was funded by an infant formula company?
No one gets out of life alive!
Black, no sugar!

I might be under 55, but I can bellyache like the best of the old men.  Case in point:

News.  Studies.  Captive audience.  Money.   The same people inclined to believe the flip-flopping of "information" will believe political parties, candidates and game shows just as much.

Plus, Starbucks is disgusting.  It isn't coffee.  It's Starbucks.  Like McDonald's isn't food, it's McDonald's.  Fat, filler and ads.  Sugar, fat and caffeine, Starbucks is an energy drink.  A really expensive one, by health and by wallet.

Europeans and South Americans, and before that, in the beginning, Ethiopians, have been drinking coffee for years.  Thousands of them.  What's bad is over consumption...of anything...ingested by brain or stomach.  As the quality gets lessened more processed (no matter the source) and more manipulated, of course everyone else will follow.   Cigarettes are a great case-in-point.   Pipe smokers live longer.  Espresso drinkers are healthier than those sluggin' down 30oz of fat and sugar.

Duh.

It's a lack of fortitude and honor in what is sold, and an acceptance of what is consumed (and how much).  The peddlers have this crap all down to a finely-tuned science--because it works.

Kyle Weiss":u5gh0z1s said:
It's a lack of fortitude and honor in what is sold, and an acceptance of what is consumed (and how much).  The peddlers have this crap all down to a finely-tuned science--because it works.
Well stated Kyle. You've nailed it.

AJ

ajn27511":ut7qrhzu said:
Kyle Weiss":ut7qrhzu said:
Well stated Kyle. You've nailed it.

AJ
Seconded.

Echoing what others have said, there always seems to be some new study which confirms or denies some other study on what is good or bad for us. I treat it as junk science (or just plain ol' BS) perpetrated by those who have Nanny tendencies, or some other agenda.

It must sell to some folks, but it sure doesn't to me.

:lol: 

Cheers,

RR

I might drink a lot of coffee, but let me tell you, I've never once let one of those infernal energy drinks cross my lips, so I've got to be doing better than a lot of people. Besides, I offset any highs in my blood pressure from caffeine with the zen-like experience of smoking a pipe almost every day. Whatever tthey say about the effects of nicotine, I can assure you that my heart rate and blood pressure both drop when I light my pipe.

Hey, Just read a study on Pipes and pipe Tobacco that states it not only leads to liver failure, heart disease, chronic bronchitis and syphilis but, it can kill you in just hours after indulging.
I suggest we get rid of all our pipes and tobaccos post haste.
I'll be going to the dump the end of the month, so to help all my brothers and sisters and help save them from sure death and disease you can send me your pipes and tobaccos and I will dispose of them for free and I'll even pay for postage.
No need to send Burley's or Dr.Grabows.

I always think it's funny how everything we do seems to be trying to kill us in some way and yet on average humans are living longer than ever.

Should be great for the 'gubment, though. Now they can impose a sin tax on coffee too.

Yes, these "studies" are ludicrous, but I look at it from the researchers' standpoint. They have to come up with something to justify their funding, which is usually grants from some entity or other. These aren't real scientists looking for and finding causality, but rather mediocrities collecting statistical data, then making weak and qualified inferences from it. Then the media clowns and parrots, another group of mediocrities trying to give the appearance of earning their keep, get hold of the story and try to present it as news.

Statistics, per se, don't lie, but the people using them do, whether deliberately or through incompetence. What is one to make, for example, of the "fact" that most people involved in fatal car accidents have ingested carrots a week prior to the accident? Avoid carrots, just to be safe? Show me cause and effect and I might listen to you; otherwise it's just a rogues' gallery of babble. Meanwhile, I have to put up with dainty ladies of both sexes who sincerely believe that a whiff of my pipe brings them a step closer to the grave, and act accordingly.

Recommended: "How to Lie with Statistics," an old classic written in the '50s, I believe. Short and sweet.

Richard Burley":ohdinknb said:
Yes, these "studies" are ludicrous, but I look at it from the researchers' standpoint. They have to come up with something to justify their funding, which is usually grants from some entity or other. These aren't real scientists looking for and finding causality, but rather mediocrities collecting statistical data, then making weak and qualified inferences from it. Then the media clowns and parrots, another group of mediocrities trying to give the appearance of earning their keep, get hold of the story and try to present it as news.

Statistics, per se, don't lie, but the people using them do, whether deliberately or through incompetence. What is one to make, for example, of the "fact" that most people involved in fatal car accidents have ingested carrots a week prior to the accident? Avoid carrots, just to be safe? Show me cause and effect and I might listen to you; otherwise it's just a rogues' gallery of babble. Meanwhile, I have to put up with dainty ladies of both sexes who sincerely believe that a whiff of my pipe brings them a step closer to the grave, and act accordingly.

Recommended: "How to Lie with Statistics," an old classic written in the '50s, I believe. Short and sweet.    
THIS 100% !!:twisted: 

monbla256":tivcy2yl said:
Richard Burley":tivcy2yl said:

THIS 100% !!:twisted: 
Definitely +1 (or 2 or whatever...) Personally I've never understood the attraction. I like the way my own coffee tastes, and for that matter I usually quite enjoy making it myself as well. A cuppa or two futzing about the house in the morning and rest goes into the thermos. Badda-bing, and I'm out the door! :D 

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: 

swhipple":2jbsotnu said:
I always think it's funny how everything we do seems to be trying to kill us in some way and yet on average humans are living longer than ever.  
This is one observational clue that has always puzzled me.  

Humans have a funny way of comfort through problems without actually wanting to fix them, or going through the motions without questioning the action.  Usually, it's motivated by power and greed from farther up the psychological food chain.   If we cured more than we treated, no need for pharmaceuticals, by example...pretty profitable stuff.  Worse yet, it's easier to create problems to treat.   Add a dose of fear, and someone's rakin' in the cash.  A majority of the environmental efforts between the government and private organizations figured that one out.  So did judicial systems.  Make a law, create a business.  Discover a problem, bilk the public.  

Of the hurdles to modern corporatists, private or public sectors, optimism is the worst thing for the bottom line, more so than truth, self-sufficiency or an observant public.  

The simplest of parasites never kill off all the hosts...it's a symbiosis, after all.  

We will never be rid of them, however, we're sure doing a piss-poor job controlling them.  

A man walks into a room infested with hungry ticks.  A smart-looking, lab-coat-scientist pops out and says ticks hate mosquitoes, and the man notices a door that has a bright, happy sign:  "Mosquitoes!  Enter!"  The man quickly walks through the door.  The scientist follows.  "You know," says the scientist "...the more skin exposure, the more the mosquitoes..."  So the man strips naked.  He is covered in mosquitoes.   He's so pleased to not have ticks on him, that he defeated them!   The solution, after that scare, must be to always have mosquitoes around.  The mosquito breeder syndicate stealthily behind the two-way mirrors couldn't agree more.  What got the man to go into the tick-filled room in the first place, you might ask?   An ad he saw on television, which he regularly watched, (which showed him news, shows, movies and commercials, directly and indirectly about tick problems) that said, "Tick Seminar."   He promptly went, because who like ticks?  It's fact--they're awful and diseased.  Ask anyone.  

(...why hunt for one host when you can have a whole herd...?)

:lightbulb:

8)