loose tenon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8razor

Reaction score
Im sure its been asked/explained before, but I don't feel like goin through the older posts. How do I tighten it up so it doesn't feel like its swaying like a hammock when I tjrn my head. Its an old , but beautiful Grabow bulldog. A beautiful find at the antique store last weekend for a nickel. Ill post pics soon as I'm able, can't be more than 10 years old and in really nice shaoe other than this issue and a charred rim.

The quick fix is a coat of clear nail polish. Works if it isn't too loose.

Another is inserting a drill shank that is slightly greater than hole size in the bit. Boiling water needs to soften the material enough. The bit shouldn't be a lot bigger and you may want to pick up a numbered drill at a good hardware that's about right.

I have made temporary, quick fixes by inserting a bit of wax paper in the mortice.

i just rub some beeswax on it and smoke it. sometimes takes a time or two but it has worked for me on my few pipes with that problem. i would go that route first, because there is no harm in doing so, oddly enough it works for tight tenons, too. it might take two coatings of the was to notice a difference. good luck

+1 to ye olde wax paper trick. Or you can use a bit of any fairly substantive paper. Then reassemble and trim the tag.

I pulled a little used GBD 9438 Prehistoric off the rack this evening. It's been in my basement, in a case but the stem was very loose. I rubbed some beeswax on the tenon and smoked it. That did the trick, snug as before after one bowl. A good reminder that pipes are meant to be smoked!

str8razor":axx42kes said:
Yeah push. Not threaded anyway. I do a push/twist action
If it is a filter pipe,you can spread the two prongs with your pipe tool.