Lost Bully today :(

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on of late, I'm having the longest bout of bad luck and it is really starting to get just a little too much to keep putting up with.

This evening I was sat here pondering my recent mishaps with tobacco and I looked over to the higgledy piggledy collection of jam jars and pickle jars I am keeping the samples of aromatic tobaccos Jim sent me recently and felt a comforting warmth you can only get when you are reminded of a kindness from a friend.

I reached across to pick up my Bully and it slipped from my fingers, we have a very thin carpet on top of a concrete floor, Bully landed awkwardly and the stem snapped off. I just sat there staring at my broken Bully for a few minutes and then reached down to pick up the two pieces, I looked at the broken stem and the stummel with a bit of broken stem poking out of the mortise and thought to myself how typical it was right now for my all time favoured pipe to suffer an injury.

Not wanting to give up on my old faithful friend I popped out to the shed to remove the broken stem from the mortise, my hopes were to maybe fit another stem from a pipe I don't use so much to my much loved Bully, wouldn't be the same of course but at least I would be able to still smoke it. It was dark and cold out there, I tripped as I was entering the shed and Bully went flying into the shed and hit pretty hard on the drill press, a strange and heart sinking sound was heard when Bully hit the press, I knew what it was the moment I heard that sound.

Bully's shank had snapped off right at the base of the bowl, he's done for, I walked slowly and purposely to the bin and threw Bully into the blackness turned around shut the shed door and came back inside. I'm tired, frustrated, cold, sad and more than a little miffed, isn't life a perfect little shit at times.

DAMN! As we say down her, "You got snake bit" on that one ! Maybe Bully was tired and felt he needed to "get on" and knew with your skill and artistry you will make his successor even better than he was!! :twisted: My thoughts on this don't take away the pain of the loss but try and focus on the new opportunity! :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry to hear about your ill-fated Bully, Kirk

But sentiment for Bully aside, if by chance the pipe that you make for yourself smokes any where as fantastic as the one you made for me, you'll be in damn fine shape in no time. ;)

Sorry... we've all had days like that. :(

Sometimes it doesn't pay for me to get out of bed at all. When one thing goes wrong, it's usually the first in a procession of things going wrong.

To better days ahead! :cheers:

Sorry for your loss buddy, but I'm sure you will make a proper replacement.

Right sorry to hear of the loss of your favourite pipe "Bully" Kirk. Looks like the two of you were fast mates for a while. I know you've pictured her in the past and could sense that this was a really important pipe.

Never will there be a replacement for her, but surely you can craft a suitable facsimile that will pay homage to her.

Doesn't make the loss of her any lighter to bear I realize. Losing an old and trusted pipe like that must be crushing!

:cry:

Cheers,

RR

monbla256":imgtak7w said:
DAMN! As we say down her, "You got snake bit" on that one ! Maybe Bully was tired and felt he needed to "get on" and knew with your skill and artistry you will make his successor even better than he was!! :twisted:  My thoughts on this don't take away the pain of the loss but try and focus on the new opportunity! :twisted: :twisted:

THIS^^^^. Your "bully" will slide right into a new body and life will be good again.

Many thanks for the understanding replies, only fellow pipe smokers understand the profound nature of losing a much loved and reliable pipe.

I may in the future attempt to make myself a new Bully, some how I just don't seem to enjoy any other pipes as much as I enjoyed Bully, just have to move on I know, doesn't make the act any easier though.

It's never easy is it...

My best to you brother...

Do you have a pic to remember him by?

PozzSka":8bk2md2w said:
Do you have a pic to remember him by?
I do my friend, this was Bully, he wasn't much to most folk I know but he was a loyal and reliable friend.

Bully.jpg