Lovat Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Blues

Reaction score
I have two pipes that both belonged to my dad. they are matching pipes except one is straight (which by all pics and descriptions I can find is a Lovat shape). The other one is made the same only it is about 1/4 bent. My question is, is this pipe called a bent lovat, or is this a different name altogether? Any help is appreciated.

Do a google for Pipe Shape Chart or post a pic..

Sidenote: South East KY??? where bouts?

It will be tomorrow before I can get home to post pics.

Owsley Co. in southeastern Ky

Ex Knox countian here....
Lol...you can't get any more south east except for Bell co..lol

True, my wife is from Leslie Co. just one county away from bell. I'll post pics of the two pipes if i can figure out how to post them. I found my camera, but haven't figured out how to post the pic yet. :scratch:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm trying to find out what the shape name for the pipe on top is. The one on bottom is a lovat shape, but is the top one a bent lovat, or is it a different shape altogether?

I'd call it a quarter-bent lovat, or even just a quarter-bent billiard with a saddle bit. I don't think there's a new name when that shape takes a bend.

Thanks Doc! I've been wondering about it for some time now but I don't ever seem to have my camera handy when I'm wondering. Thanks to all for the compliments. :cheers:

Doc Manhattan":i1sgghqv said:
I'd call it a quarter-bent lovat, or even just a quarter-bent billiard with a saddle bit. I don't think there's a new name when that shape takes a bend.
I second Doc here!!!
a pipe does not get a new name as the it's shape tilts upward.
full bents may also ber reffered to as Hungarians or "oom Paul" but this is not the case with these!

Thanks for the info and kind comments guys. I have several more pipes that belonged to my father, ( he was a pipe smoker for 40 years before his death in 1999) that i'll try to get some pics of. I smoked cigarettes for nearly 15 years (and still one every once in a while) and never enjoyed one of them more than a bowl full of pipe tobacco. Thanks to all! :cheers:

New Smoker":xt8n9zsj said:
Thanks for the info and kind comments guys. I have several more pipes that belonged to my father, ( he was a pipe smoker for 40 years before his death in 1999) that i'll try to get some pics of. I smoked cigarettes for nearly 15 years (and still one every once in a while) and never enjoyed one of them more than a bowl full of pipe tobacco. Thanks to all! :cheers:
Sweet bro, enjoy!