Lucite or Vulcanite?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is something on two of my pipes that is not lucite or vulcanite, it is soft but glossy and no oxidation. Any ideas? It feels like the plastic they use in plastic cups. Polyethylene or PVC, oh and one of the pipes is a falcon if that can help.

Is nylon expensive or is there another reason It's not used or common ?

Add me to the vulcanite camp. I like to hold my pipe in my mouth and vulcanite is more comfortable for me.

i.keenum":ik64bmh4 said:
Is nylon expensive or is there another reason It's not used or common ?

I'm not sure, I don't own a Falcon but I understand the mouthpieces are not removable,,,probably a cost saving feature eliminating the machining of mortise and tenon. I think I read somewhere they're pressed into the aluminum stem, something vulcanite or lucite probably isn't suited for. Nylon being more pliable is. I'm just going on memory here,,,

Well I just got a billiard from eBay with a removable stem that seems to be same material says France on the bit :?:

While I prefer lucite/acrylic over vulcanite/ebonite, a lot has to do with the quality of the vulcanite/ebonite, as well as the thinness of the stem. Paolo Becker, Scott Thile and a host of others do a great job with ebonite, to where I've had some of these pipes for several years and they are in great shape with little care. Still, a light pipe with a quarter or half bend, and a thin lucite stem does it for me.

:farao:

Guess I'm old school, 'cause I like ebonite. I clench, too, but the lucite doesn't deter me from that...a bit harder, but if it was uncomfortable, I'd never have bought another one after my first. I do find ebonite more easily held and softer, though.

The oxidation (my pipes were bought new, and I've only had them for a little over a year) issue doesn't bother me. I apply bamboo oil (or mineral oil) to seal them a couple a times per year, so that helps. I always clean clean them whilst smoking and wipe them down with a Briar Wipe impregnated cloth after I'm done.

I've cleaned up a couple of pipes for someone once. They were from the '50's and heavily oxidized and toothed up. I used fine grit wet sandpaper and got most of the teeth marks out and some of the discoloration (wasn't really trying too hard on the oxidation...old pipe and all, for him it was part of the attraction).

I've also modified the fit on some of my lucite and ebonite stems (a little snug) by also using fine wet sandpaper and finishing with a plastic polish (like for cars). I wouldn't be amiss to using the polish on any stem that started to discolor.

Originally I didn't like lucite at all, especially the colored stems. They didn't look like "pipe" stems to me. Well, after you buy a freehand or two...they don't really look like "pipes"! So, what's the big deal w/the lucite....

If forced to chose I think I'd go with vulcanite, but only by a hair. I think each stem has its pluses and minuses and I appreciate them all.

Cumberland is my favorite which I suppose is a type of ebonite. Lucite otherwise.

I'll go with Dave on this one. I like the feel of vulcanite, but I hate having to use jewelers rouge to get it clean. I think next would be vulcanite.

I'm in the Lucite camp if I have to choose. Low maintenance, no worry about the taste if you haven't smoked the pipe for a few months. I've also got a few old pipes where the Vulcanite button is almost down to the nub due to years of polishing and oxidation.

I'm definitely a clencher! So I prefer the softness of vulcanite over the "glassy" feeling on my teeths of lucite. But this doesn't influence the choice of a pipe obviously...especially after the discovering of pipe bits!(In spite of a little increase in salivation)

P.S.
Here in Italy it's quite the opposite: vulcanite stems are preferred, also among famous pipe makers but in newer productions there's the spreading of lucite.
VULCANITE is Old School
LUCITE is Nu Skool
:clown: