Mac B Bold Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Occasionally I'll stick a review up on the big site. It's fun to do. Seldom will I post them here, but I thought I'd share this one with you guys, because this tobacco is ridiculously good. If you like dark fired Kentucky tobacco, or a dark flake with good strength, (think Irish Flake, G&H Dark Flake, Old Dark Fired, etc.), you will likely find a deep rabbit hole with this one. In fact I am writing this from the deepest depths of a Bold Kentucky buzz. ZZzzzzzz.

Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky..

No two ways about it, this is a rich, spicy, unbridled tobacco. However, Mac Baren seems to have learned a few new tricks in the process of developing and producing these fabulous HH series flakes. First off, Bold Kentucky is absolutely delicious and amazing. I use the term amazing because despite the rich flavor and the ramped up strength, when smoked slowly Bold Kentucky still manages to be exceedingly mellow and very well balanced. Despite its strength, the flavor is exceptionally focused and has a remarkable amount of restraint.

The tin note is savory and has a slight vinegary edge with a hint of chocolate and spice. The aroma reminds me of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. At first light, the flavor is very even keel with subtle hints of pepper, wood smoke and a sliver of sweetness. Gradually the flavor intensifies, delivering a full, rich and complex, bittersweet earthy burley smoke that is soft rather than edgy.

Bold Kentucky does share some commonalities with Old Dark Fired, but it is stronger, deeper in favor and obviously not as sweet. It is however, every bit as captivating. And while Mac Baren’s hot pressing process has taken some of the teeth out of what would otherwise be a monstrously strong tobacco, Bold Kentucky still has plenty of strength. The flavor strength is a firm-strong & the nicotine level is certainly higher than Old Dark Fired but it's not as strong as say Gawith Hoggarth's Dark Flake, Dark Birdseye or Sam Gawith's Black XX. If anything, when it comes to nicotine, I would put Bold Kentucky on par with Peterson’s Irish Flake. Nevertheless, I treat this tobacco with respect and smoke it in a smaller pipe. Up to this point it has never left me swooning, only peacefully relaxed.

Once again Mac Baren has done a wonderful job designing a blend that highlights their well-aged Kentucky dark fired leaf. It’s an absolute pleasure to smoke and it pairs nicely with a robust American style double or triple IPA.

Great review Bro. It lets me know what I will be up against when I buy some. Which is, I believe, an awesome smoking experience. :D

Thanks for your take on Bold Kentucky! I've been going through a tin of it over the last month and have found it enjoyable. I'd probably give ODF the nod if I had to choose between the two, but still good.

Thanks so much for the review Chris. As much as I enjoy ODF, I will definitely be adding a few tins of Bold Kentucky to my cellar.

This demonstrates how much taste vary among pipe smokers and just how subjective taste can be. Since opening a tin of Bold Kentucky, I've tried it in 6 pipes of various sizes and shapes. It's the worst. I'll not finish the tin. It's hot, blah, and one dimensional. It is bold, and it is strong, but not in a good way.

Chris you've created somewhat of a quandry for me. I've never tried Bold Kentucky. I love GH Dark Flake but have a serious problem with the taste of ODF. What to do, what to do? :roll:

AJ

ajn27511":7gjpxavu said:
Chris you've created somewhat of a quandry for me. I've never tried Bold Kentucky. I love GH Dark Flake but have a serious problem with the taste of ODF. What to do, what to do? :roll:

AJ
PM me your address & I'll send you a few flakes to try.. ;)

How does that sound? :p

DrumsAndBeer":2aocqi09 said:
PM me your address & I'll send you a few flakes to try.. ;)

How does that sound? :p
Sounds great Chris. PM sent. :)

AJ