Mac Baren mixture Scottish Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one of those blends that seems like should have potential but always kind of fizzles out. Looks and smells great, first few puffs are promising, but the flavor and body you expect never really shows. Bites a bit too if you're not careful. Not unlike so many other MacBaren blends :no:

Puff Daddy":xwmxqt6t said:
It's one of those blends that seems like should have potential but always kind of fizzles out. Looks and smells great, first few puffs are promising, but the flavor and body you expect never really shows. Bites a bit too if you're not careful. Not unlike so many other MacBaren blends :no:
I would have to agree, I just didnt enjoy it.
I felt there was too much burley for me.

robertw1249":1aoot0rh said:
thanks guys do all Mac baren blends have a real bad bite to them
That seems to vary with the smoker, their Dark Twist and Plumcake are the only products which I can enjoy, but I have to smoke them carefully to do so. A shame really, as MacBarens blends are obviously based on very high quality tobaccos. #1 VA bites like a rabid wolverine, and though Navy Flake doesn't bite me (much) the topping is just very tiring to me. As others have indicated, Scottish blend is just kind of boring to me.

so it the VA's that give it the bad bite then or could it be the caseing they put on it to

Burley is what usually bites me. I can typically handle the Va's, but that's just me.

i smoke a lot of VA's and burlys with out any bite but give me some thing with alot of casing on it it bite me really bad

Robert,

I have a little of the Mac's Scottish Mixture but I haven't tried it yet. I will in the next day or two and let you know what I think. Our tastes are very similar.

I enjoy the Navy Flake. That seems to be the only one most people can tolerate from MacBaren.

A couple of years ago, I had a few sample packs of Scottish Blend and Virginia No 1 and was surprised how good they are... to my tastes. I have a pound of each jarred... @ $25 a lb or so, for me it was a great buy. :D

I had the same impression with some Mac Baren blends, but I have been cracking open some tins that have a few years age on them and am really enjoying them. I started a tin of the Black Ambrosia the other day and am really enjoying it. Smoking it as I'm typing. :pipe: I've always enjoyed their HH Vintage Syrian.

thanks for all the help guys and mark you will have tell me what you think of we pretty much smoke all the same stuff thanks for the help

I think the biggest problem with Mac Baren "bite" is that people fail to appreciate a tobacco that is a little subtle. When you get into the honey on toast kind of Mac Baren taste, it's incredible. But if you puff away expecting it to taste like Westminster, well, good luck. :geek:

I love Mac Baren's Mixture, Navy Flake, Dark Twist, Club... I do find plumcake bites me a bit though.

yeah i have been looking to try the navy flake to you cant beat the price on the mixture blend and the navy flake if i can find a online store that DOCK has not cleaned out there stock on it ill get some :lol:

I really like Stockton. Roll Cake and Dark Twist are pretty good. Others I need to be careful. I always pack Mac Baren with a light hand. It's really really important to smoke slowly. Doing those two thing allows me to enjoy Mixture and others. I have a large tin of Mixture that is 30 or more years old. I have to be just as careful with it.

...burnt me to bits and because of that I couldn't get the nuances. I gave it to my son who loves it and for him it doesn't bite.

carlos i bet that 30 year old mixture is some good stuff and thanks for all the help guys