Mac Baren Scottish Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstodvictory

Reaction score
I bought a bag of Mac Baren Scottish Mixture (from bulk) the other day. I like it.

Here is a photo of it:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=10778

In the hand and in the pipe it reminds me of a tinned tobacco I used to buy years ago, but I can't remember what that older stuff was. I know it wasn't a Mac Baren tobacco though. That was back when many more Dunhill tobaccos were available in the US than today. At that time I was smoking mainly Dunhill and Esoterica blends out of tins.

Does anyone have ideas? What could I have smoked in the mid-late '90s that is not Mac Baren Scottish Mixture, but is a lot like it?

Steve

Ed Burak at his Connoisseur Pipe Shop in New York used to give a sample of tobacco with every pipe he sold me. I don't know if he called it his house blend, or Ed's Favorite, or something similar--but it tasted and smelled, to me, exactly like MacB's Scottish Mixture. And I was very familiar with that blend at the time, as it was one of my favorites. I would like some now, actually. Any chance you bought any from him? Wish I could remember what he called it. It smells the way pipe tobacco ought to smell, doesn't it? Tastes great. Think I'll get some. Wait a minute--you said tinned tobacco, right? I don't think he tinned it. Never mind.

Richard Burley":qmvfxxei said:
Ed Burak at his Connoisseur Pipe Shop in New York used to give a sample of tobacco with every pipe he sold me. I don't know if he called it his house blend, or Ed's Favorite, or something similar--but it tasted and smelled, to me, exactly like MacB's Scottish Mixture. And I was very familiar with that blend at the time, as it was one of my favorites. I would like some now, actually. Any chance you bought any from him? Wish I could remember what he called it. It smells the way pipe tobacco ought to smell, doesn't it? Tastes great. Think I'll get some. Wait a minute--you said tinned tobacco, right? I don't think he tinned it. Never mind.
That would be (or was - no longer in business) his Scottish Ribbon which is purported to be one and the same. I have never tried the Mac Baren version so I cannot say with certainty.

Paul Bonacquisti (Park Lane Tobacconist) makes a match blend called Connoisseur's Flake which is quite nice.

sounds good

how does that compare to the regular mixture?

im fond of mixture flake.

but another recently liking has been macbarens roll cake. similar tempermental and a wee touch on the stronger side.

camo