Mac Barens Dark Twist Roll Cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I don't like Mac Bite Tobaccos. Or rather, I did not like it until I discovered Dark Twist Roll Cake.  I bought 50 grams of this, went back and bought another 500gram and a week later, I bought another 500gram.

It's available at a B&M about 50km away from me @ $3.58 / 50gram in bulk.

They also sell Ambrosia @ $3.58 / 50gram, also in bulk.

Anymore DTRC lovers here at BoB?

I need to revisit this blend at some point myself. However I'm a bit overrun with tobacco at this point so it won't likely be soon. I smoked and enjoyed this blend in the past. It was when I thought all MacB's burned like hell and I mostly abandoned them. I now believe technique is almost always a factor in MacB bite and since mine has improved I've revisited several blends to good result but not this one yet. My favorite MacB roll blend is actually sold under a different brand name and can't be had for that price but it inspires me to retry the MacB roll cakes in general.

I got the Mac Bite when I first tried DTRC.

After some practice I realized that I was smoking my pipe like a I had somewhere that I needed to be in 10 minutes. DTRC doesn't reward the greedy puffer and will quickly remind you of the importance of moderate cadence. Must puff slowly..:p

Looks like I'll have to re-visit some of these MacB blends.

When I was first getting into the pipe in the mid/late 90's I got in a tin of Roll Cake. It was so sticky and moist that it wouldn't burn at all. I ended up leaving the tin open for several weeks and it didn't alter. Ended up throwing it out!

Now I know it was overly laden with PG, but back then all it did was make me crazy! Hopefully they don't apply that so liberally anymore.

The DTRC sounds intriguing. Might have to check that out.

Cheers,

RR

You can dry it crispy these days. At least the blends I've had my hands on.

This is an old review, but it still holds true for me. If I were writing it now, I would tone down the perfervid prose a bit, but I still hold the main points.

Begin Text:

Now for the umpteenth time I've been able to confirm that the MacBaren "macbitey" reputation remains and will remain a complete mystery to me. I do know that many smokers complain that MacB blends bite a lot. This widespread reputation represents the puzzlingest experience I've ever had in the pipe world. Why? Because they do not bite me; I find them all soothing and even curative: Navy Flake, Club Blend, Scottish Mixture. And now, Dark Twist Roll Cake. Body chemistry - it has to be body chemistry. Or I don't know what.

I've found my first tin of DTRC to contain excellent tobacco - excellent. An inspired and transcendent blend. Muted and subtle but rich: the quality and sublime flavor and sidestream of this blend remains sedate yet persistent and commanding throughout the smoke. Smokes at a low level, but you're not supposed to puff just because it doesn't send out volumes of thick smoke; just let it come along in little slow sips. Just nurse, it will respond - do not resuscitate with brutal EPR methods. As with all other tobaccos, I do not puff away seeking a nic hit that is not there. In the MacBarens I've tried that nic hit is just not there and was not supposed to be. I smoked a bowl last night and still retain in memory the subtle mercies of the flavor and aroma that it delivers - in unspectacular yet indelible manner. This almost Proustian, lingering recall of its qualities may explain why those of us that love this blend "feel" the need to reach for a tin, without consciously knowing why. And what an easy pleasure to fill and to keep lit.