MacArthur Corn Cob Questions.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
Just received two cobs today that I threw in with a tobacco order, one being the incredibly huge MacArthur. My concern is that below where the shank inserts into the bowl is chamber that will go to waste. Is this normal?

The second question is how the shank doesn't act as protection for the bottom of the bowl like my other two cobs. It only sticks out of the wall about an eighth of an inch. This has me wondering "Won't a good portion of tobacco drop past the usable part of the chamber without the shank sticking out to stop it and thus waste a good portion?".

Just curious if these two things are part of the overall design of a MacArthur. If so great, I've just got to find two and a half hours to set aside and smoke the thing!

Thanks Bro's.

The shank sticking out into the bowl is how all MM cobs are made. It usually sticks out more than an eighth. of an inch, but I would say that short is good. Some people cut them off at the start, and some just let them burn off over time, which they will do. Some also fill the bottom with pipe mud. Cobs serve their purpose, but they are a fairly crude smoking instrument. I have several, and smoke them from time to time.

The portion of the pipe that is below the shank is solid cob, not hollow. So no, tobacco won't be lost into the void.

tiltjlp":3c5kehkf said:
The portion of the pipe that is below the shank is solid cob, not hollow. So no, tobacco won't be lost into the void.
Interesting, as mine is completely hollow past the shank and right to the heel.

I've only held a MacArthur to inspect it as a curiosity in my B&M, and it was not hollow past the stem. The stem jutted in almost to the other side of the bowl opposite where it came in, and there's a little void around the edge--it looked like it was hollow past the stem, but it was not. I poked a pipe tool in there just to see.

That "chin" on the pipe did wonders helping it keep upright, like a sailboat's keel fin.

I drilled mine out and inserted a wood plug in the bottom. I also removed part of the stem protruding through the bowl for a more normal setup, as well as cutting the bowl down to roughly the dimensions of the MM General's bowl size. Made a hell of a Cob Churchwarden.

So far no problems and I learned that Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue and Cob go together like Superglue and fingers. :shock:

Rob_In_MO":o5wnsc31 said:
I drilled mine out and inserted a wood plug in the bottom. I also removed part of the stem protruding through the bowl for a more normal setup, as well as cutting the bowl down to roughly the dimensions of the MM General's bowl size. Made a hell of a Cob Churchwarden.

So far no problems and I learned that Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue and Cob go together like Superglue and fingers. :shock:
Heck, for the price you pay these are perfect for experimentation! I'll give fixing it a whirl rather than send it back. The fellow I ordered from threw it in for free anyway. What have I got to lose?

So you've determined it truly is hollow all the way to the bottom, eh?

Kyle Weiss":a88zd58p said:
So you've determined it truly is hollow all the way to the bottom, eh?
Afraid so. Stuck a pen all the way down to the heel. What a bugger. But it's all good because MY CREEPY MEERSCHAUM JUST ARRIVED! :cheers:

Rusty Mouse":pt3zr47y said:
Afraid so. Stuck a pen all the way down to the heel. What a bugger. But it's all good because MY CREEPY MEERSCHAUM JUST ARRIVED! :cheers:
Projects for you, ahoy! :)