MacB Bold Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyOdhner

Reaction score
Love me some MacB ODF and Pete IF, and I just ordered a tin of MacB Bold Kentucky (along with a couple of Falcon bowls and some pipe cleaners). I'm eagerly anticipating its arrival. Has anybody out there smoked it? How does it compare to ODF and IF?

Holy Cow! This blend is both sublime and powerful. There's a healthy done of Vitamin N in here. Also, next to no topping that I can detect, a goodly helping of dark Kentucky leaf, and just enough Virginny leaf to give it some sweetness. I'd say it's equivalent to Pete IF, but where IF is dark and brooding this has a nice sunny side to it. I'm smoking it right now in a Falcon smooth billiard bowl, which is on the smallish side. Not tiny, but small - and it seems like the perfect sized bowl. Any smaller and I wouldn't be able to get the full measure of this wonderful blend. Any bigger, and I might need to be resuscitated due to nicotine overdose.

Do I believe that this is the strongest blend in the MacB line-up? Yes, yes I do. Do I think that this is a blend for experienced pipe smokers? Yes, yes it is. I'm sure that some newer pipe smokers would really enjoy this, but I'd say that they'd be few and far between. What I get out of this is a deep and earthy nuttiness with an underlying sweet hay flavor - as would be expected from this blend. If I could compare it to a meal, it would be a savory steak that has been seasoned and grilled to perfection. (If you're familiar with the San Angelo, TX, area, we're talking a steak from the Lowake Steak House back in it's heyday type of steak).

RoyOdhner":waek4sxl said:
Holy Cow! This blend is both sublime and powerful. There's a healthy done of Vitamin N in here. Also, next to no topping that I can detect, a goodly helping of dark Kentucky leaf, and just enough Virginny leaf to give it some sweetness. I'd say it's equivalent to Pete IF, but where IF is dark and brooding this has a nice sunny side to it. I'm smoking it right now in a Falcon smooth billiard bowl, which is on the smallish side. Not tiny, but small - and it seems like the perfect sized bowl. Any smaller and I wouldn't be able to get the full measure of this wonderful blend. Any bigger, and I might need to be resuscitated due to nicotine overdose.

Do I believe that this is the strongest blend in the MacB line-up? Yes, yes I do. Do I think that this is a blend for experienced pipe smokers? Yes, yes it is. I'm sure that some newer pipe smokers would really enjoy this, but I'd say that they'd be few and far between. What I get out of this is a deep and earthy nuttiness with an underlying sweet hay flavor - as would be expected from this blend.  If I could compare it to a meal, it would be a savory steak that has been seasoned and grilled to perfection. (If you're familiar with the San Angelo, TX, area, we're talking a steak from the Lowake Steak House back in it's heyday type of steak).
Well then, it certainly seems like something I'd go for. Based on this and JimInks reviews. Already enjoy ODF so this seems to be right in the ol' wheelhouse!

:drunken:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":5r9pbauu said:
Well then, it certainly seems like something I'd go for. Based on this and JimInks reviews. Already enjoy ODF so this seems to be right in the ol' wheelhouse!
I believe you'll like it. I'm smoking some right now in a Falcon rusticated Dublin bowl, with a mug of Folgers (black) on the side. Just wonderful. Yezzir, MacB knocked it out of the park with this blend.

Man oh man, this tobacco is outstanding. Not long before I finally cracked a tin of ODF to try and it quickly became a favorite. This blend is similar but turned up several notches. When I first smoked it I don't think I was prepared for how strong it was. I stood up out of my rocker with wobbly legs and a head so light it felt like it would fly away like a balloon. Doesn't hit me as hard now, and is absolutely delicious.

Anyone who enjoys ODF should try this.

Well, I tried this stuff for the first time a couple/few nights ago in a rather short Danish pipe with a wide bowl. Before I got a good coal going I had to dump it out, and reload it into a cob to finish it...

Smelled like sweet beef jerky in the tin. It did not taste like sweet beef jerky in that little Danish... I was tainted by the experience so finishing it in the cob was more on principle than enjoyment.

I'm thinking this would be better suited in a long stemmed black walnut pipe. Which, I am about to do now.... I'll edit in with the results.....

OK..........

If any of you have tried the ready rubbed version of Mac Baren's ODF, it reminded me of a slightly bolder presentation in a long stemmed pipe. Pretty heady stuff too. A great last smoke of the day, on occasion. At least for me......