MacB Plumcake Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
Alright, I'm sure this has been reviewed ad nauseum, but what the heck...

I found an old tin (not too old - pre .com label) at a tobacconist the other day and figured I'd give it a shot. Opened the tin when I got home and got hit with a strong (pleasing) spicy aroma - no hint of the supposed rum casing. The tobacco was pretty dry right out of the tin. The makeup seemed to be a mixture of tan (virginia) and brown (burley?) ribbons with some bits of black cavendish. There was also a good amount of pieces of tougher stuff (latakia) that seem to be shredded flakes.

Packed it in and fired it up. Very enjoyable flavor - to this noob it seemed like a mixture of English and burley blends. It was a perfect melding - I like burley to be present, but add too much and "cigarette" starts coming to mind. Still no hint of that rum. Leather, fresh ground pepper, lemongrass come to mind, not as flavors, but as presence, if that makes sense. I didn't find it bitey at all, quite the contrary - it was cool and burned dry, with some easily dumped ash at the bottom of the bowl. I didn't catch the room note, but my wife didn't comment either way.

The one problem I had with it was that the nicotine content knocked my socks off and I didn't want to stand up for a while after my smoke (I did mention that I was a noob). Maybe I'll have to try packing half bowls so that I can handle it...

We all need our socks knocked off from time to time.Keep on with full bowls
and you will learn to love it. :)

Winslow :sunny:

Since discovering I could buy tobacco online, I've been really enjoying Plumcake, and also MacBaren's Black Ambrosia. Also have some of their Vintage Syrian for a change of pace. For years I've been smoking Borkum Riff bourbon, which was about all I could get in grocery and drug stores. Well, Capt Black is still about ubiquitous, but I never cared for it.

I discovered Plumcake and Dark Twist at a local tobacconist years ago (c. 1975), but he went out of business. My memory of Plumcake, back then, was a much sweeter, heavier smoke, not so different from the Dark Twist. I wonder whether it changed, or my memory is failing. I do like the hint of latakia. For someone who has smoked aromatics almost exclusively, I still think of myself as a fan of English blends. Plumcake seems to resolve that dilemma, for me. Black Ambrosia is nice when I anticipate a need to operate heavy machinery.

I tried Plumcake about 8 years ago and liked it. One of the people living in my house at that time said it smelled like dirty socks. I have an 8oz tin that I bought some years back. It is at least 20 years old. I guess it is about time I revisited this blend.

I am smoking Plumcake right now! For me it was an acquired taste. I remember the first time I opened the tin I wasn't sure how to react haha. I definitely recommend this tobacco because when you get the full taste with the hint of sweetness, it is excellent.