MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian - get thee to thy baccy-seller!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Doody

Reaction score
Ladies & Germs:

If you haven't tried MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian yet, you should make an effort to do so, IMHO.

I fell in love with HH Old Dark Fired and as a result, I grabbed a tin of HH VS out of pure curiosity at a random shop. I enjoyed the first couple smokes of it, but now that I'm about halfway through my 100g tin, I'm convinced this stuff is cased with heroin or meth. It just gets better every time I light it up.

YMMV - just wanted to share.

Doody!

PS: I still love my ODF too!
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Keep trying them, Doody.  Every one in the HH series is something special, and  they're completely different than your typical Mac Baren tobaccos.

I have about a half-pound left of the Syrian they had a promo on a year or so back.  It is a tasty tobacco and I enjoy a bowl of it occasionally.

I also posted this on another smoker's forum, so if one is inclined to take advantage of the limited availability of Mac Barens HH Vintage Syrian, it would probably be advisable to do so with some haste, before it's unavailable.

Ten years ago, when Syrian latakia was becoming quite rare, Mac Baren released HH Vintage Syrian. I purchased a few tins, primarily for aging. I opened one tin but found it disagreeable. I'm pretty sure that I sent it out in a Boxpass. Last evening, I decided to give the tobacco another try. It's obvious to me that my taste in pipe tobacco has changed over the years. I've never been much into aromatics; having smoked straight Virginias for nearly 50 years. Now I seem to only be satisfied with an English/Balkan blend with a lot of latakia.
The HH Vintage Syrian I smoked last night was wonderful; very smokey with latakia, dark fired Kentucky, Turkish and Virginias.

I just looked at many on-line vendors and many have no HH Vintage Syrian. Given the political upheaval in Syria, I'd guess the tobacco is out of production. It is no longer pictured on the MacBaren website.

The vendors that do have some are getting $19.00 to $21.00 for a 3.5 oz. tin, about $5.72 an ounce.

JR Cigars has some inventory. Their price on the 3.5 oz. tin is $20.81, but for the 1 lb. bag it's only $46.00, and if you use the coupon code jrdojo1, you get another 15% off.

Here's my cart:

Quote:
Shopping Cart Unit Price Qty Price
HH Vintage Syrian Mac Baren (1MHH16) $46.00 1 $46.00
Subtotal $46.00
Coupon Amount - $6.90
Shipping cost $6.99
Final Amount $46.09
$2.88 an ounce shipped!

https://www.jrcigars.com/item/imported-pipe-tobacco/mac-baren/hh-vintage-syrian/1mhh16

Thanks RSteve,

Followed your suggestion and took advantage of the 15% discount and received the baccy today.

Interestingly, I just received an email from Pipes and Cigars today saying the MacBaren had reduced their prices across the board.

I checked and found that P&C's new "reduced" price for a pound of Vintage Syrian is $51.49 so I was still way ahead at JR Cigars with the discount code you mentioned.

Again, thanks for the heads-up.

TLA

Doody,

Discovered Vintage Syrian after considerable searching in the lat tobaccos. I love it. I haven't tried all the HH blends, but I grabbed a couple of pounds to cellar. I agree that it's just amazing!

Dottleman":j1dhv9vw said:
Doody,

Discovered Vintage Syrian after considerable searching in the lat tobaccos. I love it. I haven't tried all the HH blends, but I grabbed a couple of pounds to cellar. I agree that it's just amazing!
I also agree. It is good. I got lucky and loaded up just before their price increase and I had a 20% off coupon. Wish they would send me another coupon like that. :twisted: :twisted:

AJ

Unfortunately I have apparently already overextended my reach of the sweet leaf. Perhaps next month... I do have a pound put up though, so I guess I'm set for a while! If I could only just get some Syrian Lat, man, I could whip out a batch of the good stuff!

Yes, I really, really like this baccy.

Had 2 pounds in the cellar and have just order 3 more.

This is a really good smoke.

TLA

I have located a source of H.H. Syrian 16 oz. bags for $53.99 per pound. This is $10.00 a pound less than Iwan Ries, if Ries even has any left. This, as we've written and read earlier, is the absolute last of the Syrian latakia.
I don't know how much inventory this vendor has, I ordered two pounds and received a shipping confirmation.

http://wvsmokeshop.com/macbarenhhvintagesyrian16ozbag.aspx

My two pounds arrived Saturday morning, June 3rd.

RSteve":y09nf5xi said:
I have located a source of H.H. Syrian 16 oz. bags for $53.99 per pound. This is $10.00 a pound less than Iwan Ries, if Ries even has any left. This, as we've written and read earlier, is the absolute last of the Syrian latakia.
I don't know how much inventory this vendor has, I ordered two pounds and received a shipping confirmation.

http://wvsmokeshop.com/macbarenhhvintagesyrian16ozbag.aspx
Wow. I don't like Latakia but it is very kind of you to share the info. There are many folks who will dig this news.

Slowroll":39tag2s5 said:
Thank you for that info! I have a pound on the way. :cheers:
You are very welcome. This vendor's HH Syrian appears to be the last of the MacBaren inventory. Since last year, when it became known that Syrian latakia hadn't been produced in over a decade, I began to stock up. I just checked my lb. bags and the packing dates on earlier purchases ranged from April, 2016 to December, 2016. The two pounds I received from WV show a packing date of April, 2017, so I'm pretty certain that this came from MacBaren's last inventory. HH Vintage Syrian has been removed from the MacBaren website.

<hijak on>

RSteve

It's great to see (read) you here on BoB. You've been an occasional poster before this but I always sit up and take notice when you do.

Really good to see you're still sassy, vertical, and in the game. Been a long time since the halcyon days at HP!

Cheers,

RR

<hyjak off>

Brewdude":hlmvblhx said:
<hijak on> RSteve, Really good to see you're still sassy, vertical, and in the game. Been a long time since the halcyon days at HP! Cheers, RR
<hyjak off>
Thank you, it's always nice to be vertical, particularly now in my 70s. As you know, I've been a pipe smoker for over 50 years, but recently I've been smoking my pipes far more than cigars. I smoke a pipe daily, but only smoke cigars occasionally. I'm pretty hooked on English/Balkan blends. I even have substantial Penzance tucked away.