MacBaren Va #1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vercer

Reaction score
So I picked up a 100g tin of this today and just tried a bowlful... Holy CRAP! Could even make it 1/3rd the way down. First couple of puffs had my tongue burning and the little one wondering what that nasty smell was.

Is this normal from straight Va's? It smells very sweet, almost like raisins. Not sure whether to hang on to it and see if it improves or just throw it in the compost at this point.

I realize this could just be my inexperience with pipe smoking in general and virginia's in particular. Anyone else out there have any experience with this or any thoughts?

Ray

Some time back I stoved a jar of two year old Va#1, hoping it would cure the tongue bite. Well, it didn't - it still bit like a dog - but the flavour improved. Worst part is that, on a foolish whim, I had bought a 5lb bag of the stuff.

So it's not just me then, that's good news. Think I may try cellaring it for a while and see if I have any better results. At least it was cheap :)

Virginia #1 is a good training tobacco..

Smoked sloooooooooooooow and I mean just barely this side of lit it will reward you with alight sweet taste... Smoked any other way and it taste what I imagine a cat litter box taste like..and your tongue will feel like a herd of cats where trying to cover their wares on it.

I pack all MacBaren tobaccos with a light hand and smolder them. Like PB said, just this side of lit. I pay attention that I do not start puffing away.

I haven't tried any Va #1, but I really like their Va Flake. I have heard they are somewhat simmilar in taste. I just got a pound of it in today and IMHO, it's much better with a little age on it, as are most Va's I have tried. As PB said very slow puffing is the key for Va's. With the Va Flake, I have a better experience if it is well dried before stuffing it.

You gotta have age on this one! I have been using it for blends. I enjoy it quite a bit now and then. SLOOOOOOWWWWW! :D

Tame it with Mc5100, 5120, 2015... I have various combos going with Va No 1 and it changed Va No 1 into a nice "base" tobacco.

4 or 5 pounds of this stuff would be an invitation to become a mad scientific hybrid blender :lol: It's actually fun. The next best thing since the taming of the shrew.

Carlos":ee5g1wev said:
I pack all MacBaren tobaccos with a light hand and smolder them. Like PB said, just this side of lit. I pay attention that I do not start puffing away.
Ditto,
McB tobacco is harsh stuff.
I love golden blend and club.
Good technique is essential here!!!

Good luck man!

Slow Puffs":exj3usxk said:
The next best thing since the taming of the shrew.
i had a shrew once. it ran off a cliff and died. oh wait, that was a lemming. nevermind. :D

bruins":mnlo5y12 said:
Slow Puffs":mnlo5y12 said:
The next best thing since the taming of the shrew.
i had a shrew once. it ran off a cliff and died. oh wait, that was a lemming. nevermind. :D
Hey Bruins, True to form bro, would not expect anything less from ya!!

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Thanks guys, picked up some Escudo yesterday as well and it seems to go much better for me. Still liking the Froggy more though.

Vercer":biwoxojc said:
Thanks guys, picked up some Escudo yesterday as well and it seems to go much better for me. Still liking the Froggy more though.
frog morton is good, isn't it. since beebiz won't shut up about it, i had a bowl this morning (it'd had been a while). it's like the perfect morning smoke. :D

bruins":fjgd7ute said:
Vercer":fjgd7ute said:
frog morton is good, isn't it. since beebiz won't shut up about it, i had a bowl this morning (it'd had been a while). it's like the perfect morning smoke. :D
Beebiz would probably croak without it. His stash is probably nee-deep-need-deep-nee-deep.

Falconer":s3xmzsfx said:
bruins":s3xmzsfx said:
Vercer":s3xmzsfx said:
Beebiz would probably croak without it. His stash is probably nee-deep-need-deep-nee-deep.
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I wonder what I should post here????????????????????????????
ahhhhhhh, nothing! 8)

index.php