Macqueen Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewest

Reaction score
Anyone have one? Really decided I want one of the Lord Of The Rings series. But I will be smoking it, not setting it on a shelf to look pretty. Any thoughts? I like the White Wizard or the Ranger.

I have a briar Ranger, it smokes well, not to long and was cheep for handmade.

Odd at first to have no mouth piece like in the old, old days,

and it won't fit in my pipe rack.

I have the Wizard. I haven't smoked it yet. It looks excellent, but it doesn't ooze quality (the stem in particular). The removable stem isn't made out of one solid piece of wood. I don't know how it's made, but the full length of the side of the stem is a separate inlaid piece. I don't know how else to explain it. The dark "finish" on the stem rubbed off on my fingers so I took a damp rag and removed what I could from the end so it won't wind up on my lips. Hope to smoke it next week and I'll report back.

I also have the ranger, I enjoy it while sitting at home.

PM cigarstorejay here on the boards. He sells them and can probably help you out.

Ewest,

I have a Wizard with a briar bowl.

My impressions are many. First, take your time smoking it. If you are in a hurry, this is not the pipe for you. I have heard complaints of the dreaded gurgle. That's why you need to look upon it as a sipping pipe. The stem is too long to slip even a churchwarden length pipecleaner in if such an event would occur mid bowl. I've never had issue with that problem. Originally, I bought it with the intent of dedicating it to Lat blends. Virginias lend themselves well to sipping, so I'm glad that I tried it with them first. It's now a Va or Vaper pipe, mostly seeing Escudo. In regards to the stem and its stain, I used a little steel wool for about an inch, cleaning it up. Then I put some carnauba wax on and rubbed it with a soft cloth. The wax treatment is part of my cleaning ritual with this pipe. November had a question in regards to the stem and its manufacture. I'm assuming they do the same thing I do when making a long wooden stem. I drill it, then place it in a steam cabinet, then lock it down on a bending jig.
I would suggest getting the briar bowl, and if you are doing a direct order from MacQueen, expect a wait. Also, keep in mind that it's unfair to compare this pipe to a Stanwell, a Peterson, et al. It's a MacQueen, and thus a niche pipe.

I was also thinking about picking up the "wizard". The only thing I have heard is they need to be opened up a bit (5/32).

You might give it a try before opening it up. I think MacQueen changed their drilling a little bit, entering the bowl as the vent should, as opposed to being in the bottom as they once did. I think that solved the draw issues. I can't complain, the pipe is well behaved.

Boulder, thanks for the hint on the rolls of pipecleaners. That way I can purchase a lifetime supply for that MacQueen.

Lesath":raprxvty said:
You might give it a try before opening it up. I think MacQueen changed their drilling a little bit, entering the bowl as the vent should, as opposed to being in the bottom as they once did. I think that solved the draw issues. I can't complain, the pipe is well behaved............
That is good information to know. That was my main gripe/concern about their pipes when they first came out.

Odd what you'll bump into at times...like my doing a search yesterday on MacQueen Pipes and found an eBay vendor selling the Wizard with briar bowl for $59 and $5 shipping. Note there says they have more than 10 in stock. So if someone didn't want to wait 8 - 12 weeks (which is the current stated wait time from MadQueen for delivery) then getting one on eBay might be good...in a week and for less money. Also, Pipes and Cigars looks like they have several models in for good prices.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/macqueen.html

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2174_13997547

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=macqueen+pipes

$(KGrHqUOKjME4mq++nl(BOSV1lM5Sg~~0_12.JPG

Let it be known that I am not endorsing either the pipes in question or any site or vendor.
Any and all trasactions or purchases are the sole responsibility of the buyer.

BTW:

Boulder...

I found Pipe Cleaners on a roll for Churchwardens at Cup-O-Joes only 8$; 50 foot coil pipe cleaner. You can cut to any length desired. Standard pipe cleaner diameter.
pc50.jpg

Now THAT'S what I call a good tip, bro!!! I have two coils on the way.

Super-Dee-Duper!

Lesath":z9uq6k0c said:
You might give it a try before opening it up. I think MacQueen changed their drilling a little bit, entering the bowl as the vent should, as opposed to being in the bottom as they once did. I think that solved the draw issues. I can't complain, the pipe is well behaved.

Boulder, thanks for the hint on the rolls of pipecleaners. That way I can purchase a lifetime supply for that MacQueen.
Thanks for that information Lesath.

To open a bent stem made of wood, I suspect a rod bent to the curvature of the stem would be heated up red hot and then used to ream it out. Then, may the cleaning begin. Fortunately, the stems on the MacQueens were not the issue. There was issue with the diameter of the vent hole and location. When I purchased mine, I was expecting to drill it out a bit to improve the draw. I was going to take a chuck off of a drill press, put a slightly oversized bit in (maybe a #30), and bore it out by hand. Previously, MacQueens had the vent positioned just like a Lepeltier, dead center in the bottom. Upon arrival, I looked in the bowl and thought either they improved the design, or goofed on mine. I loaded it with Virginia Woods, and discovered two things: it smoked well, but the stem required some of the excess flavoring from the finishing process removed. Extra fine steel wool cleaned it, then I applied Formby's tung oil. Formby's was a mistake. I use it on flutes, and once it is dry, the toxic concerns are bypassed. However, pipes and flutes are different. Steel wool followed with wax and a soft cloth was just the ticket. I like wood stems and they are durable as long as you treat them as such.

Lesath wrote:

"...a rod bent to the curvature of the stem would be heated up red hot and then used to ream it out."
Hoo Boy! Could we do it after dark to the rod would REALLY glow? I'm thinkin' the process would be rather...festive! lol

Before I popped for the "Wizard" I bought last night (dang, it gets expensive when I can't sleep) I did a search and read a bunch of stuff about the MacQueens, reviews, posts, etc. By the way...if you do a Google and misspell it by typing 'MadQueens' you get all kinds of interesting stuff! lol Anyway, I found several threads dealing with the change in location of the hole. Basically it was said that they had changed their design. Don't know if that's true...but a couple of guys thought it was. Also, some guy complained about dye coming off on his hands, etc. and was told to do pretty much exactly what you had done...take some 600 grit paper/cloth or steel wool and scrub off the existing dye, then oil it and put a little carnuba on it, etc. Instead of Formby's I would have tried pure Tung Oil (which is what I have on hand)...but following your comments I'm thinking Walnut Oil might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Walnut oil is good to eat and for hair treatments for brunettes, it also looks good on wood. I'd just have concerns it might turn rancid. The wax really did the job. You don't have to take the stem down to bare wood, just enough to clean it a little. The wax makes the perfect barrier. I've made it part of the cleaning ritual, and the pipe seems happy.

Well, I'm surprised. I went back to the site and the rolls are indeed gone. What I'd do is to call them and see what the story is. Maybe they'll be getting them back in in a week and you could 'back order' them and they could ship them whenever. I copied the phone number for you:

Internet Inquiries/Orders
9am-4pm EST
1-888-689-6876

You might look at these, found via a 30 second Google search:

http://www.amazon.com/BJ-Long-Cleaner-Brush-tubing/dp/B004VWB70K/ref=pd_sbs_hg6

http://www.medisafeamerica.com/ourproduct/tp-art-cat/pipe-cleaners.html