Magic Eraser

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
Looking through some old threads and some other online resources, it seems that using Magic Eraser on stems is a quick and easy way to get rid of unsightly oxidation. Conveniently enough, we also happened to have some on hand. So I used ME to clean up my pipe stems, then dried/buffed with a soft cloth.

Success! Oxi is gone, stems are all still in one piece, etc.

So, my question is, is it safe to smoke right away? Obviously we're dealing with a chemical cleaner. Is there another step I need to remove any chemical residue, or am I good to go after a good drying/buffing/air drying?

I believe Magic Eraser is a foam variant of the esteemed "Oxy" type cleaners, sodium percarbonate/hydrogen peroxide.

Sodium bicarbonate is very similar, and is baking soda. Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used as mouthwash in small amounts.

Both are not toxic in residue, but a water-dampened towel should remove any traces of the Magic Eraser if you're concerned.

8)

Kyle, you're brilliant. I thought that magic eraser was just a grippy kind of foam. I learn something new every day!

Or I just make stuff up that sounds really, really good. :lol:

Doing some research I was partially correct. While some of these magic foamy doodads employ the mighty stain-fighting power of "Oxy-whatever," the actual material is melamine foam.

Melamine is also the awesome coating on cheap particle board bookshelves. It has water resistance, stain resistance, and allows you to have chic black or white furniture at a low, low price. Thanks melamine! Your plastic goodness knows no bounds.

Little did folks know its superpowers could be foamitized and used as a light abrasive, too.

Rumors apparently surfaced about it having formaldehyde ingredients, but these were debunked some time ago.

Needless to say, as far as I'm concerned, still safe, still effective. 8)

Yes, Magic Erasers work great on pipe stems. I read this a couple of years ago and had to try it. Turns out they work great! I cut mine in half and can clean several stems with each half so the 2-pack actually goes pretty far.

Tried the Magic eraser out and it does a pretty good job, yet the oxidation came back on a couple stems. Perhaps I didn't scrub long enough, maybe the oxidation went deeper than was evident, or something.

A little while ago I got in some Brebbia pipe and mouthpiece polish, but have yet to use it. And just after that I read the thread about the walkerbriarworks stem cleaning product that sounds like it has the potential to be the final word.

Need to do that next. I've got some Petes with heavily oxidized stems.

Cheers,

RR

Simple Man":xvuyn2fs said:
I can attest to the fact that the Walker's stem polish system works great... I was amazed at results.
I bought some a while back ago and was very disappointed and told them so, he got a bit agitated and refunded my money. It seems to be mainly just plain ole rubbing compound. I can sand and polish on my buffer a totally oxidized stem in half the time it takes to use there so called stem polish. It may be just fine for minor oxidation but when you can polish it quicker why even bother with it?

Yes, not everyone has or has a place for a buffer and I reckon that's whom they took into consideration when they developed the stuff.
I just wet sand them with 400-600 grit and then finsih off with 1000 and then put them on the buffer and bingo, new and sparkling again.
Just too much elbow grease involved in the other method and about five minutes of that and, I'm needing a complete lube job.

Simple Man":nah6blko said:
Cartaphilus":nah6blko said:
Yes, not everyone has or has a place for a buffer and I reckon that's whom they took into consideration when they developed the stuff.
I just wet sand them with 400-600 grit and then finsih off with 1000 and then put them on the buffer and bingo, new and sparkling again.
Just too much elbow grease involved in the other method and about five minutes of that and, I'm needing a complete lube job.
Do you seal them with wax after you finish buffing them?
Once I've treated an oxidized stem, I carnauba wax them, and depending if I'm headed out in the sun, give them some SPF 15 lip balm, a light coating. Use an unscented variant. Keeps the green meanies from comin' back so quickly, as the direct sunlight seems to speed up the process. 8)

Simple Man":q7r97m34 said:
Cartaphilus":q7r97m34 said:
Do you seal them with wax after you finish buffing them?
Yes, I have another buffer just for Carnauba wax and then I put a coat of Paragon wax on them just because I'm anal that way.