Major drag!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just opened a tin of Escudo from '14 I got in my bombing last year. 

The lid was looser than than a prostitutes' morals, an old Harleys' nuts and bolts, etc......

Bummer. :eek:

The discs weren't bone dry strictly speaking. I was able to separate them without shattering them. Ya, I know how to re-hydrate stuff like this.

Placed the discs in a bowl and covered it with a clean white washcloth that had been soaked with water and then wrung out thoroughly. Taking care that the cloth material did not come into contact with the 'baccy of course.

I'll check it later today and will proceed from there. Sometimes it takes another treatment such as this to bring it back, but tactile feel is my friend here. I know what it's supposed to fell like when fresh, and it isn't overly moist right out of a properly stored tin. In fact right ready to rub out/fold and stuff.

The positive news is that I removed a bowl's worth first and put it into a pipe. Then proceeded to do CPR to the bowl, breathing slowly and making sure there was plenty of mouth moisture available. Sounds gross but it works in cases like this.

The upshot is that the smoke was fine and exhibited all the characteristics of Escudo. Enjoyed the entire bowl over about a 45 min experience. Never got hot or harsh, and I figure there were still some strands that didn't get the forced moisture treatment.

Shows to go you that this technique can be used effectively, at least on 'baccys that are not too far dried out. I'll be looking forward to sampling the re-hydrated coins in due course.

:rendeer: 

Cheers,

RR

I bought an Old tin of Copes Escudo on the bay last year and had the same problem as you did, but a lot drier I have to say.
I rehydrated it using the same method and it's one of the best smoke I ever had, needless to say it's all gone now.

Yeah, the CPR trick is actually pretty effective! I was doing it with some ODF RR that had gotten pretty dry. I actually think it works better than rehydrating the whole batch. While the moist towel trick gets it wet again, I find the overall flavor to be diminished. When I just blow warm air through the pipe, the flavor seems to be fuller. :scratch:

Nice recovery Rande.

I was tidying my smoking cupboard a few weeks ago and dropped a tin on the hard floor popping the seal. Mason jar to the rescue.

Jarred up what I had last night but noted it was only about halfway to being back to original moisture levels. Yet there was indeed progress - the coins did not want to shatter upon flexing and had some "bend" to them.

Got the contents back into the bowl with the damp washcloth earlier today and will monitor the progress. Hopefully this treatment today will sort it out.

I had a bowl of the weed this early afternoon before putting it up for the second treatment. Still had to perform CPR to the bowl but it burned and tasted just fine. Very encouraging!

Cheers,

RR

Happy to report the second re-hydration treatment worked a charm. The coins are now back to what I feel is pretty much the original moisture level.

I've since had 2 or 3 bowls and it smokes and tastes just fine to me. Looks like the volatile oils had not degraded to the point of it being beyond salvaging. Perhaps not 100% like Escudo is when it's presented properly, but close enough for me!

Cheers,

RR

Good for you sir, Enjoy! :cheers:

One odd thing here - as it's been a while since I opened a tin of Escudo I seem to remember the coins being somewhat light in color. Sort of like a golden.

These coins are pretty dark brown in color with light flecks. Heavy aroma of molasses. Not sure I recall that.

Could this be due to the ingress of oxygen, or am I dis-remembering? Guess I need to open an older tin to see for myself, but after this one is done.

:scratch: 

Cheers,

RR