Major score for a $20 ticket

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Went yesterday and picked up the saddle I won from the Cowboy Poets Gathering raffle. Found out it is a custom built handmade saddle complete with matching saddle bags headstall and reigns. Valued at $4000. Big yee haw. Pics to come later.

1629325684150.png

Don't know how many "horse people" we have on here, if any besides me, lol but for those interested here are some pics. Hand made by Olin Miller Saddlery. Approx. value $4000. Came with matching saddle bags, breast strap, head stall and bridle. I am SO happy. Lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-18-16-53-56.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-18-16-53-56.png
    908 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_2021-08-18-16-47-10.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-18-16-47-10.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_2021-08-18-16-57-22.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-18-16-57-22.png
    835.6 KB · Views: 80
My first wife was a competition equestrian. She rode on an English saddle, exclusively. As she progressed through the competitive ranks, she insisted that it was imperative that she have a saddle custom made for her exact size, style of riding, and type of competition. She was thin with a small derriere and insisted that she required a saddle to accommodate her skinny little buttocks. I paid plenty for that f----ing saddle!
Does the saddle you won fit you? Is it comfortable?

It is comfortable and it fits okay but a bit smaller than I prefer. It's a 16" and I prefer a 17" usually. Not because I have a big butt but I have long legs and like to sit back a bit in the seat. Being a roping saddle it has a pretty high cantle and deep seat. The bigger question is will it fit my horse? Should as it is full quarter horse bars and a 7" gullet, but we will see. However, if it doesn't work out I can easily sell it or trade it out at the local saddle shop. This is horse country and there are plenty if rodeo cowboys in the area. Also being that it was custom made for the Cowboy Poets Gathering it has extra sentimental value. If nothing else, I can just keep it to look at as it cost me next to nothing. I've ridden English saddles and they pretty much suck, lol. Plus they cost like hell, for a custom made one, which you found out, because equestrian riders typically think of themselves as more upper class and better than us poor cowboys. Attached is a pic of me in Ireland on a Haplinger, on an English saddle, replete with helmet and vest. Totally unnecessary but required by the stable where I was riding. Nice horse but too small for me. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190924-171147_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190924-171147_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
I've ridden English saddles and they pretty much suck, lol. Plus they cost like hell, for a custom made one, which you found out, because equestrian riders typically think of themselves as more upper class and better than us poor cowboys.
My ex's parents were both raised on MN farms. Her dad was a WWII vet and we became friends. Her mother hated me with a passion after she found out that her "virginal" daughter and I were living together prior to marriage vows. She did think of herself as upper class, regardless of her very middle class upbringing. She was an art history major and aficionado of chamber music. I rode with her on an English saddle once and posted as the ex insisted. When I dismounted I wasn't quite certain that my testicles were still intact. The ex is 72 now and still "involved" in the horse world. She never married again and the last photo I saw of her on a Florida equestrian website, she looked like her mother after surviving an uglystorm. (As a young woman, she was stunningly beautiful.)

I admit to being a little negative about the ex. In today's dollars, she took me for almost $1/4 million.

That's too bad. Unfortunately some women just do not age well. Unless you have ridden a lot and built up the leg strength, posting is very difficult. I can do it, but it always makes my butt sore. If you were banging your cahonies, you were not doing it right, lol.

RSteve:
Now you tell me. 50 years after the fact and they still are sore.
Ranger107
Most folks who try posting for the first time wind up with achy thighs and a rash on their backside. But then a lot of them are women so they don't get sore cahonies, lol.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I wish the old ex no malice, but I wouldn't mind if I heard she has achy thighs and a rash on her buttinski.