Makin' a Medico mo' betta'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricTKT

Reaction score
I picked up this Medico squat tomato at the 2013 Greater Kansas City Pipe Show. I just got the wild hair to go ahead and refinish it. The rustication-to-smooth lines are funky so I've decided to rusticated the whole bowl myself. The stem is entirely oxidized, and the shank is in rough shape as far as the finish goes as well. So, here's to lots of sanding! Huzzah!!
image12.jpg

So here is the newly rusticated Medico. I got all the horrid oxidation removed front the stem, and completely rusticated the bowl and shank. Just haven't decided whether to stain it, and if I stain it what color to use. Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f56/18/83/56/89/photo10.jpg
P.S. Rusticating the whole thing considerably reduced the weight, and also made it a lot more pleasing to the eye.

Looks pretty dadburn good to say the least sir.
Stain? Well for now I think it looks pretty good without it but, if I had to I'd say
something light brown, a tan maybe.

Jesse Jones said the same thing about leaving it natural, I may end up doing that. I may put some shellac or Danish oil on it though, I think it would make for a nice finish as well. He also suggested that, if I were insistent on staining it, to do a red understain, and then do a chocolate overstain and rub it off the highest ridges of the rustication before it dried to give it a two-tone/worn look. I'll take some other suggestions just to see if there's something out there that I haven't already considered.

As for what I used to rusticated it? I am very good friends with pipe maker Jesse Jones, and he has a modified, Phillips head screwdriver that I used. Now if you've never used one of these things, they are very effective at doing their job, and produce a very nice rustication. However, they also do their job very well on the human hand, twice I did some not-too-enjoyable damage to the hand I was holding the pipe with.