makin a razor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubhdarra

Reaction score
so i'm working on a straight razor for myself. i'm mainly switching to straight razors on the assumption they're cheaper. so far i have the blade forged and rough ground, i'm going back in to put the sorta bump at the top of the tang in because i've seen it on all other razors this shape. i'm gonna do a double hollow grind on it and the scales will be made of epoxy stabilized maple or black walnut burl...

just asking if anyone has suggestions on what i need to do to this sucker before i put any more time into it.

thanks,
-liam

I would do the grinding wet if you can. The blade on a razor is so thin that it will overheat very quickly.
I have a Pakastani-made razor that is heavy and thick -- you don't want that, it's like shaving with a meat cleaver. My wife bought me a nice Dovo razor about 10 years ago. The blade is thin enough to be a little bit flexible near the cutting edge.

Good luck with your razor. Keep us posted.

Dub I don't know if its in fact less expensive...a buddy (that you know) got me hooked on this. 1st came the razor AD, then the soap/cream AD, funds don't permit for the cologne or brush AD. I will tell you that wet shaving is a hell of a lot more enjoyable then using any disposable cartridge. And don't get me started on the foam/gel crap I used to use.

well rug, i can make, sharpen, hone and strop my own razors, which is a plus, i know soap makers who give me soap in trade for tooling, and the fiance is just getting started, and i already wetshave so i've got two brushes and bowls. you gotta remember i like practical stuff handmade by people i know, not top of the line straight grains. in fact, i'm getting two new pipes soon in exchange for tooling i'm making for the pipemakers. i'm pretty dern excited :)

any rate, i also got a pic of the razor, i've finalized the profile and put the hollow grind on it. gonna give it a lil vinegar soak to chew the scale off, quick draw polish then heat treat next week, polish, sharpen, hone, strop and fit it. god willing it'll be done by saint paddies.

the wood block its sitting on is stained and epoxy resin stabilized curly maple burl i'm planning to use for the handle.

IMG_3498.jpg

see ya saturday :)