Making pipe tobacco from a cigar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmick

Reaction score
Just a random thought... besides flavor what is the difference between a round sliced flake and a sliced cigar? Or would it be possible to slice a cigar and smoke it in my pipe?

A long day and halfway through my first bowl add up to strange thoughts. :shock:

I've done it and it is great. Just put a small cut of a cigar into a coffee grinder and run it for a second. You will end up with flakes that can be placed into your pipe. I keep a jar of cigar flake to add as a condiment spicing up a typical blend such as C&D Engine 99. I see no point in smoking it straight. If I want a cigar, I smoke one. My cigar flakes come from a butt not thrown away.

Smoking butts! Ouch!

One of my favorite blends is John Patton's "Storm Front" which is a blend of two Burley's and Cigar Leaf. But there are a fair number of makers that offer blends with more or less cigar leaf. I'd never put together a listing before, so I made up the following:

In addition there are others out there that are not generally available, so I didn't list 'em. Also, several makers put out blending tobacco that I didn't list. Plus, there are a number of superb recipes that are no longer made, esp. those of John Patton, who had at least another half dozen blends that are not being offered following his retirement. (Oh! The humanity!!!) And Steve Books (Brooks?) of Rich's is no longer working there I've heard. I don't know what this has done to the amazing and pretty pricey cigar blends that he has designed...they were without a doubt among the highest quality blends offered anywhere.

John Patton (via 4-Noggins): Storm Front, Hodge Podge & Latakia Junction
Russ Ouellette (via Pipes & Cigars): Stogie, Virginia Spice & Strike Force
Cornell & Diehl : 412A: Billy Budd, 420: Habana Daydream, Purple Cow, Grey Ghost & Billiard Room
Pipeworks & Wilke: Churchill
Robert Lewis: 123 Mixture
Fox: The Bankers
Peretti's: Cuban Mixture & Blend 500
McClelland: Dominican Glory & DG Maduro
GLP: Robusto & Key Largo
Tambolaka: Tambolaka
Iwan Ries: Canadian Plug
Robert McConnell: Various, for Blending...and others as well, not listed.

The blends that I know pretty well and would recommend are in bold face.

If anyone out there knows of others, please let me know, as I'd like to get together a comprehensive listing.

If you want the most flavor, seperate the wrapper leaf from the cigar and smoke that, mixed perhaps with other tobaccos. The wrapper is where most of the flavor lies.

LIPIPE":869s3dfk said:
My cigar flakes come from a butt not thrown away.
Smart. The only problem is I will now be blending yet another tobacco that I am forbidden to smoke in the house.

Can't smoke in the house, eh?

GOOD! I NEVER smoke inside. It creates secondary smoke that's not healty for you, your loved ones, your pets (if any), etc. Whomever guides your actions in not smoking inside obviously is a well informed and cogent individual that has your best interests at heart.

I guess it's time to head for the bunker...

I disagree that Tambolaka, at least in sticks or the already prepared version, contains cigar tobacco. Are you speaking of their cigars? My store, when rendered, is consistently sinewy throughout. The smoke doesn't have a hint of cigar leaf but is instead very, very robust, spicy, and with the deepest flavor of anything I've smoked.

So far as I know they make the Tambolaka cigars out of the same stuff they use as the Pipeweed. It's listed as "cigar leaf" on Tobacco Reviews. While I agree with your appraisal of both the leaf and the experience, I'm just goin' by the book here. lol