Making the leap from aromatics?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
OK guys, I have a beautiful (to me) new pipe and I'm on the fence about what to smoke in it. I have been smoking aromatics in my grandfather's pipes, and have enjoyed them. But as I read time and again about more experienced pipe smokers having a pallet shift away from aromatics for their primary smoke... it gives me pause.

I dropped into my local B&M last night to consider my options... the young man there sold me an ounce of something that he described as a mild english, with latakia that he thought would be a good introductory non-aromatic smoke. Here's the thing. I don't find the smell of it (in the plastic bag) to be appealing. And having ZERO experience with non-aromatics, I don't know if that means I'll still feel the same when I fire it up or not??? I am aware that the aromatics don't often taste like they smell, or even have much taste at all for that matter. The young man at the B&M said that aromatics are about smell and the others are about taste. I'm willing to accept that... just hoping like Hades that this blend called "HMS Victory" doesn't taste like it smells. One way to find out... get a cheap cob pipe and fire up a bowl of it I guess. Would any of you care to make a guess whether the taste experience that I have will be great dispite my aversion to the smell? Or will the taste suck as badly as the smell does to me? Place your bets gents.

I think it is the latakia content that I'm not caring for the aroma of... I opened a jar labelled "Latakia" and stuck my nose in there and involuntarily said "No" out loud upon first whiff! Any thoughts on my ramblings? Thanks. :scratch:

A heavy Latakia blend might seem like quite a jump from what you are used to, but then again you might love it and never want to smoke anything else.

Just keep in mind that if you don't like it initially, there are tons of other blends other than the cavendish aro types you are probably used to that either don't contain latakia, or contain it in greater/smaller quantities, or contain a different kind of latakia.

In my limited experience, the various tobaccos (Va, Perique, Lat, etc) can all behave/taste differently depending on which blend they are in, how they are used, where they come from, etc. So just because you don't like one Latakia or Va or Perique blend, doesn't mean you won't like another.

Give it a shot, if you don't like it at all...try a mildly flavored VA or Burley blend with no Latakia, or even a straight VA or Burley blend. Maybe one with some Perique in it if you are feeling adventurous.

If you like it somewhat, but not alot, maybe try to look for a blend that only has a tiny bit of latakia in it and focuses more on the VA, Burley, Per or whatever.

If you love it, just smoke more of it! :D

I've never been a fan of any blends containing Latakia. There are some I can smoke and enjoy a little but would much prefer a Virginia or Virgina/Perique blend. It's the smell of Latakia that puts me off and in a strong blend it gives me almost a nauseous feeling. Some people can't get enough of it though.

My first adventure from aromatics was with a Virginia/Perique flake and I remember it well. At first I wasn't completely sold but I got whispers of sweetness with a richly satisfying tobacco taste. I was just getting into the hobby and was pretty cheap about it. The tin cost me ten dollars so I was going to smoke it all before I bought anything else, whether I loved it or not. By the time I finished the tin I was hooked. Couldn't get enough of those flavors and when I tried to go back and smoke an aromatic I was completely disappointed in the lack of taste.

Buy a cob and try a few samples of Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Burley, and Latakia blends. Then when you decide what you like, smoke what YOU like and don't mind what others say about your choices.

LtMac

If you switch to a virginia based tobacco you will need to learn to smoke slow. Aromatics generally don't bite and that is why first time smokers find them to be friendly. Virginias and Vapers can bite the tongue, especially if you smoke fast or puff them. This can turn you off from them before you get a chance to enjoy them. Additionally, smoking slow tends to bring out the best of the sweet flavors, rather than charring the sugars into bitter charcoal.

Another good transition might be a burley based tobacco, especially one with as little topping as possible. Then a burley/virginia blend can help transition you into the pure virginias which a lot of us consider to be tobacco nirvana.

Good luck and have fun, the infinite variation is one of the great treats of pipe smoking.

Guys,

And now... the rest of the story: I just came in from a 30 minute smoke of the aforementioned English/Latakia with what I found to be very surprising results.

As I said, when nosing the baggy, my sniffer was saying "Are you sure you want to smoke this stinky stuff?" :evil:

The fact is, while the Aros can have a nice room note, there are times when I find them to be cloying. I needed to find out if there was something more to this pipe thing.

I fired up a bowl in a corncob pipe that I picked up today specifically for this experiment. Immediately, I was relieved that the smell of the tobacco while burning was alot less offensive to my nose than before. I smoked it nice and slow as suggested. I found it to be absolutely pleasant to smoke. Mild and smooth. Not at all overpowering as I had feared.

I am fond of thinking of new experiences in terms of analogies. In comparing the experience of smoking this, my first English blend to the Aro that I smoked last night... the thought occurred to me that it was sort of like drinking a cup of hot tea or coffee versus drinking a fruity smoothie. Both are satisfying at the right time, but I can (and do) drink coffee/tea all day long. I like smoothies too, but one a day (or less) is plenty for me.

I'm thrilled with my discovery and look forward to many new tobacco experiences in the future. Thanks for your input Brothers.

Another, maybe less surprising result. After the smoke, I went and stuck my nose in the bag again. That repulsive smell was no where to be found! I guess it just took a little warming up to. Good Day :)

When I switched from aromatics to non...I started with sweet VA blends, then deeper VAPERs and burley blends, and it was a few years before I got into english blends...HATED latakia in the beginning and now I love the stuff...it's like crack...I want more and more...lol maybe not that bad...

You seem to have skipped some of my steps...so dive right in...GLP makes some damn good english blends, I love maltese falcon, it is my fav tobacco so far...have a tin of chelsea mornin but haven't tried it yet...westminster was sour tasting to me but oh well.

I enjoy english blends so much now I bought a HUUUUUUUUGE Savanelli Goliath, just to smoke maltese falcon in...if you want a kick in the pants english try C&D pirate kake

savandfalconBW-1.jpg

I noticed that your in Dayton, if your at the Wharf, they have C&D and GL Pease blends in bulk you can try. You might want to try some of the VA flakes they have in bulk as well. The awesome thing about this hobby is that there is soo much to try. FYI i really liked Indescribable too

JohnnyO":2093w1cj said:
...GLP makes some damn good english blends, I love maltese falcon, it is my fav tobacco so far...

...if you want a kick in the pants english try C&D pirate kake
JohnnyO... thanks for the recommendations! I will be aquiring some maltese falcon and C&D pirate kake in the VERY near future :bounce:

By chance have you ever tried Frog Morton? I'm tempted to get some, it seems like people either love it or hate it... would like to hear your take on it. Thanks.

Wide Awake":y2mapxxp said:
I noticed that your in Dayton, if your at the Wharf, they have C&D and GL Pease blends in bulk you can try. You might want to try some of the VA flakes they have in bulk as well. The awesome thing about this hobby is that there is soo much to try. FYI i really liked Indescribable too
Wide Awake: Thanks for the tip! That is my local smoke shop... so If you saw my note to JohnnyO above, it is good to know that I can sample them locally. :)

I have recently made the same transition. For me the Va. is good but Im really liking the Vapors...

I would echo the recommendation of Maltese Falcon. You might also check out Westminster and Squadron Leader.

For a good Va, try C&D's Briar Fox. Very nice, smooth, sweet (but not cloying) smoke.

Mike

Tim, Whatever way you choose, it's all about the journey, I've now been puffing for 50 yrs.and still learning, and in that learning I find myself, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Real Leroy Mercer":40scdbd7 said:
Smoke what ya like! And like what ya smoke!!! Hell with tha reat of'm!
Leroy is that kinda like drinking coffee in the morning with that first bowl of english blend then smoking aromatics, drinking iced tea all day and smoking another english after supper?

Do Whatever Blows Your Dress Up kinda thing!!!

OK Brothers, I got home from work today and my beautiful Boswell Churchwarden was waiting for me. I had stopped by "The Wharf" my local B&M on the way home from work and picked up an ounce of Maltese Flacon and an ounce of a Va/perique blend called "Bullseye" which is in pressed disks of VA with a black dot of perrique in the center (smells awesome in the bag.) I wasn't sure which one to christen my new pipe with... but decided on the Maltese Falcon. Loved it! I had a cup of coffee afterwards that tasted amazing with the Maltese Falcon still lingering on the taste buds.

What is the skinny on switching back and forth between the Maltese and the Bullseye in the same pipe? Do I understand correctly that as long as I dedicate the pipe as a non-Aromatics pipe there isn't much problem alternating between the English blends and virginias? :scratch:

Also... did I read somewhere that after smoking a bowl out of a pipe it should be 'rested' for 24 hours until using it again? Or is that crazy talk? :shock: :drunken:

I've read and experienced myself that smoking VA's in a pipe that I normally smoke English blends in, you can taste the Lat. while smoking va's. Not something that i enjoy, really takes away from the Va flavors. I have a couple pipes that I use for English blends and a couple for va's. I've smoked a pipe a number of times in one day, haven't had the pipe go sour, I usually try to let it rest for an hour or so. I do like to try to rest my pipes for atleast 24 hours. But it's hard to let pipes rest if you don't have a few of them to put in rotation.

Abe

Yep the latakia might linger in there still. I have pipes dedicated to VAs, aromatics, English blends, and finally a pipe or two dedicated to lakeland floral blends.

I have not tried frog morton, though I did try frog morton across the pond...syrian latakia is a bit softer and sweeter, I liked it before I liked the normal cyprian latakia. I'll have to order some frog next time...might be a while though, I'm going to be moving and probably living in a smoke free apartment before I get married later this year... :pale:

There are a lot of good english blends...Penzance was the one that started it all for me, that stuff is like Gold but I smoke the falcon more often. Mississippi Mud is a good one, even though the it sounds really weird...cavendish and latakia? It's good!

Tim --

Assuming the Bullseye that you picked up is Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake, (which it most likely is) the center dot of dark tobacco is a small amount of cavendish to compliment the virginia and perique. This is a very good blend, but WAY different than Maltese Falcon. I would suggest (as with most virginias) smoking this one slowly, as slowly as you can; some call it "sipping." This is so that the virginias in the blend can develop into their fullest potential; very different and a little finicky compared to an English blend. But, the rewards may just astound you! As for smoking both blends from the same pipe, well, in a perfect world you would have separate pipes for virginias and a different set of pipe(s) for English styles... If you end up smoking both from the same pipe, it's not the end of the world by any means; it just would not be ideal. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

glad to hear you're enjoying the englishes so much, there was one i used to smoke that i loved, i went back to VA's for a long time and couldn't find another i liked. i've recently managed to find two i like again, they're not the most heavily smoked englishes i know, but all the attention given to SG squadron leader really ought to be paid to the westmorland mixture. its a cyprian latakia, but its used fairly sparingly and the little cavendish rounds it off to where it tastes much more like syrian imho. when i'm in a mood for something a little bolder i like petersons old dublin, which has a lovely sort of old leather, chocolate, and cedar aroma to it, smokes extremely cool, and is really what i was expecting out of the squadron leader.

hope you try them, and enjoy them as much as i did.