Malware

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I read this article in the NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/world/europe/in-greece-business-rules-can-puzzle-entrepreneurs.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=olive&st=cse
and went to the web site and explored a bit and ran into a problem. While I can't say I picked up the problem at this site, the problem occurred while I was at the site. Apparently I downloaded some malware that hid files and caused all sorts of havoc with my pc. I have ESET anti virus software that limited the damage. Hopefully every thing is back to normal with the help of my service contract.
I mention this because
(1) there is no telling where you might run into a problem and
(2) the people I have talked with recommend malwarebytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
You can download a free version of their software that is active for 14 days.
I tried it on another pc and it found a couple of items that it deleted.
If you try their software let us know what you find.

I run Malwarebytes, Super-AntiSpyware, Nortons, CCleaner, and of course Windows Defender. All are free. I catch all sorts of crapware & malware each time I do the deep scans.

Proabaly can find them on filehippo if you look around a bit.......

This particular one is called the "System Scan" virus. I know because I got it a while back! It's actually fairly benign because it does not destroy anything. It simply blocks off your desktop and access to most of your files in the C drive. Don't try to download the "solution" software it offers because it's just a scam to get your credit card number. The most maddening thing about it was that it self protected itself in the search results for a solution. I was running Avira and all results for "system scan Avira" caused the browser to close!

I tried downloading several free malware programs but none managed to get it all.

I eventually just found a way around it by checking the file settings and discovered that it just made everything in the C drive "hidden". After changing it back to "show all folders" i was able to access everything again.

Pain in the ass but not catastrophic.

MisterE":aro6lkx4 said:
This particular one is called the "System Scan" virus. I know because I got it a while back! It's actually fairly benign because it does not destroy anything. It simply blocks off your desktop and access to most of your files in the C drive. Don't try to download the "solution" software it offers because it's just a scam to get your credit card number. The most maddening thing about it was that it self protected itself in the search results for a solution. I was running Avira and all results for "system scan Avira" caused the browser to close!

I tried downloading several free malware programs but none managed to get it all.

I eventually just found a way around it by checking the file settings and discovered that it just made everything in the C drive "hidden". After changing it back to "show all folders" i was able to access everything again.

Pain in the ass but not catastrophic.

I had this a few months ago...what a pain in the neck. I did, however, find that by booting in safe mode and running Spy Sweeper (by Webroot) followed by STOPzilla I was able to get rid of it. In fact, this combination seems to get rid of just about any problem I've ever run into. They're both paid products (free trials available), so I only keep an active account with Spy Sweeper for regular use, then subscribe to the other only when a real nasty bug makes in necessary.

I've been using Firefox as well as the NoScript extension almost since their first public releases. TSR antivirus or malware programs won't catch everything. Your best bet is to run Malwarebytes once a week while a TSR antivirus/security proggy for the average PC user should be run in the background all the time except when scanning with another antimalware proggy.