"Man Cave" Envy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesbarber

Reaction score
All this talk of the "man cave" all over the place. I've got a man cave of sorts. I've got my own room with all my guitar/music stuff in it. There is a small spot for the wife to do her knitting and reading but she never goes in there. I can't smoke in there though, nor anywhere else in the house. That's a bummer. I did sneak a bowl in the room one time though and loved every minute of it. I usually find myself in the garage or on the back porch. It's not a bad deal being outside but I never experienced as good a smoke in those places as I did the one night in that room. Outside, the smoke just wafts away unless you're standing in the right spot. And then the smoke rings don't seem to last as long.

Everything but smoking in my man cave...bollocks! I'm goin out for a smoke... ;)

Utter nonsense..

Smoke in there..

If she says anything
Calmly, kindly, in a non confrontational manner explain to her that you intend to continue smoking in there. Then be done with it. Don't argue, fuss,fight,whine,or crybaby, but Do smoke in there if you wish.

Man up bro.

I've been planning on finishing my basement now for a few months and decided it was a good place to build my "man cave". While discussing my plans for the basement the other night I proposed that my wife's "indoor smoking ban" be lifted strictly in my man cave and to my utter surprise the ballot was approved unanimously. Of course it was conditional that I use it in moderation and that we look into some sort of air purifier. This works for me since I use my pipes in moderation anyways. Baby steps are steps none the less.

I didn't ask and I didn't demand, simply brought it up in a discussion and you see the outcome. "You'll gather more bee's with honey..." you know the rest.

Of course I am also building her "woman hive"(sounded appropriate) where she can do her sewing/knitting and whatnot. These will be two separate rooms so that is one difference to your situation. I also have no garage or porch (yet) to use.

-H

We are all indebted to PB because his advice has helped so many younger couples get started on the right track and saved numerous marriages.

Bub":p342a4fy said:
We are all indebted to PB because his advice has helped so many younger couples get started on the right track and saved numerous marriages.
I think I'll go live over at PB's house when the wifey kicks me out after taking his advice. :pale:

Women Like Men, try it sometime, I'm sure she will freak you out when she actually starts respecting you instead of snickering at all the crap she pulls on you with her friends. You aint gotta be an ass but you do gotta be a man.

You wanna see a cute blonde turn into DEVIL WOMAN, try lighting up in the house (call me a milk toaster if you want :tongue: )(been there, done that, ain't going back). She has an Asthma card up her sleeve as well as a "think about the children" card.

puros_bran":b88u67zh said:
Women Like Men, try it sometime, I'm sure she will freak you out when she actually starts respecting you instead of snickering at all the crap she pulls on you with her friends. You aint gotta be an ass but you do gotta be a man.
She'll never admit it but they like it when you're authoritative. It's how they're designed. ;]

EJinVA":w2ypgrc1 said:
You wanna see a cute blonde turn into DEVIL WOMAN, try lighting up in the house (call me a milk toaster if you want :tongue: )(been there, done that, ain't going back). She has an Asthma card up her sleeve as well as a "think about the children" card.
That is a tough situation EJ, but I'm with PB, a firm, resolute, but not rude hand works wonders. Also, starting from day one of the relationship helps alot, or you may need to pick up, "The Art of War," and replace "the enemy" with "the girlfriend."

I was this close (holding forefinger 1/8" from thumb) to coming back with some smart ass reply for you boys but have decided to refrain at this juncture.
However, I reserve the right to reapply it at a later time.

I've smoked in the house all these years with very little hassle from my other half unless I smoke something unusually stinky.When we moved to a new house four years ago we ended up with an extra room which I use as a smoking room.I have a chair,tv,a table ,and some shelves that I keep smoking stuff on.There's a closet that I've put shelves in to store tobacco on.I have an air purifier on the table.Maybe I'm just lucky but,I'm pretty well set as far as a smoking area goes.

I will just be tough in the basement hamshack. :D All I have to do down here is mention crickets and she beats a quick retreat.

Carlos":sqs15494 said:
I will just be tough in the basement hamshack. :D All I have to do down here is mention crickets and she beats a quick retreat.
Especially Camel Crickets! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just noticing the BS in here is getting higher than the snow banks outside,,, :lol!:

Justpipes":2gf6yd73 said:
Carlos":2gf6yd73 said:
Especially Camel Crickets! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mmmmmm........tastes like chicken! :lol:

mark":41x2obsa said:
Just noticing the BS in here is getting higher than the snow banks outside,,, :lol!:
I've been bullshitted by experts and these boys in here are not experts,
it is the Irish who are experts,they are born to it. :)

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":k6y0p309 said:
I've been bullshitted by experts and these boys in here are not experts,
it is the Irish who are experts,they are born to it. :)

Winslow :sunny:
PB ain't Irish!

The spouse, religion, and politics stir up the stuff for sure!

So far a happy marriage, going on 8 years this March. I'm not about to screw it up. I've taken my stand on many points but there are some things I've just got to give in for. You win some, you lose some. She's worth losing to. I don't get outside near enough anyway. Vitamin D and all that jazz... 8)

She has some sort of complete disinterest in the pipe smoking. It's one of these "I'm happy YOU'RE happy" kind of things. She's cool that I take part but she wants absolutely nothing to do with it. And she doesn't even like the smell of tobacco. Crazy woman, I say.

Right now I'm working on some Peterson Gold Blend. So far it's great. Maybe if I found something a little more aromatic she wouldn't have such a dislike for it. Gold Blend is not so bad to begin with though. My dad was having a bowl of it on New Years Eve and it was a pleasure to stand next to him. Smelled wonderful!

I think it's the ashy after smell that bugs her. The smokey clothes and such. Also, there is a smoke alarm right outside the door of the room and it's also right next to the kids rooms. Bad news if that thing goes off during bed times and then it's just a hassle to have to disarm it every time I'd want a smoke.

Well i would agree with PB on this one but i have been watching a lot of Mad Men lately...

My problem is that i live with my cousin and its hard to tell another man that i'm gonna smoke in his house, considering he was a man and put his foot down early. He does have a nice porch though.