Man ! I ordered some Bright CR, and its not the same .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
:x
I had a sample of some G.H. Bright CR from the bombing, and I really really liked the stuff.
So, I ordered 4 oz's,, and it got here yesterday, but its not the same at all?

Its just a normal Va',, which is OK I guess, but its no where close to being like the sample.

I used to like Boswell's Va slice because it was sweet too, but then my last order of that Va flake wasnt the same either. Just a plain old , light Va. So, I havent ordered any more ever since.

I'm seriously thinking I'm not going to order Va flakes in bulk anymore, because they dont seem to hold up , batch by batch. .
And now this Bright CR,, Dangit man ! That sucks ! I REALLY liked the first sample!
This stuff doesnt even look the same as the original sample, its darker. :x

And I thought G H & C would be more reliable in that area. :x

Oh well, on to the next tobacco.

This is a perfect example of the little events that occur in my life that
makes me want to choke the living mud out of someone. Receiving
products ordered that turn out to be something entirely different than
expected really sets my butt on fire. Seems like it happens all the time.

I'm really sorry about your tobacco not being what you expected. Disappointment
is probably an understatement but I do relate to your dilemma.

AJ

I recall the same problem with the Dunhill bulk offerings back in the '80s as well as some other Brit bulks. I've never had this problem with the bulk offerings from US blenders though I'm sure it does at times. If the photos shown in a previous post about S.G. here are any indication I'm not surprised about the variability possible :p

Yak":smgaq8tc said:
How old were the samples ? And had they been jarred ?

:face:
This. It's crazy how different a blend can become (even in appearance) when jarred up for a few years...

Although, I have experienced variation in fresh examples of more than one blend. FVF is notorious for looking, smelling, and tasting slightly different from year to year. Haddo's Delight and some other Pease blends to a lesser extent as well.

Don't give up man. Just buy maybe 8 oz and put that and the 4 oz you already have into some jars for a while.

I tried 3 pipefuls yesterday, and in one of them , I got a hint of what I was missing.
I even tried it in 3 different pipes , to make sure that wasnt the issue.
But that hint gave me hope.

So , I think as Shane says I'll try to age it a bit.
And Yak, I asked , and I guess the first sample wasnt too old actually. so IDK?

I like'd it ALOT> so I'll try more in the future , to see if it does change more back to what it was I tasted.

Funny, just had the exact same experience with Louisiana Perique Flake. A brother sent a very generous sample of the stuff and as soon as I finished it (actually just before) I ordered more. The new stuff was a completely different animal. Just tightened the lid on the jar and moved it to the back of the shelf. I'll revisit it in the fall with my fingers crossed.

Yep, thats what Im going to do.
The more I think about it, I am so close to what I think is my favorite sweet Va .
So, If it takes time to get it , so be it.

This topic has come up before and the general consensus seems to be two fold, (1) that the tobacco is not getting any shelf time do to rabid cellaring purchases and/or supply challenges; (2) the sample you received was cellared for some time already and you got a glimpse of the magic that can happen.

Hmmm. well, I hope thats not the magic of it.
I have been trying a bowl here and there, and it seems like 10-20 % of the time , I taste what I liked about it.. but the other 80 % its just a Virginia.
The reviews stated that it had a slight "Lakeland" thing going on with it, and that it had a floral hint, especially at light up.
I really liked that part of it, and it just doesnt seem to be as strong as that first sample, heck, most of the time its not even close , if at all. with this batch.

But oh well,, Ill wait a while and order more , sometime, in the future,, amybe I'll get into a better batch

Ahhh-HAAAAAAA! So it was that little tinge of Lakeland that got you goin' on the stuff? Well, there's certainly a fix to that.

The Gawith boys have a half dozen flakes that are sort of like the rungs of a ladder...progressing upward in terms of the strength of their lakeland essence. Maybe you just need to go one or two rungs up? There's Coniston Cut Plug (which is a flake) and Glengarry Flake (which is a plug) (just kidding). Neither one has that gakky 1792 bubblegummy thing. To me, both are very light in the Lakeland stuff, but others would claim that they reek. Ask Puff Daddy about Coniston...it's one of his favorits as well. Now Glengarry Flake is pretty much the same composition as Bright CR (it might be identical) but it has a bit more scent added. Hmmm. Maybe even Sam's Flake would be a good idea.

Given the comments you've made about the CR and since I got you hooked and then things went South...I feel I need to step up and send you a couple of samples. So I will. Also...you NEED to try some of the flake I snagged in the Late Great Tobacco Selldown. It's 5 year old Bracken Flake...and it's claimed to be an 'off recipe'...but if it is, they should bottle the stuff in bond. It's an old truism that flakes that have a kind of barnyard aroma are special...and this stuff, well let's just say you'd feel right at home opening up a bag. So i'll give you that opportunity. Not a ton of it...enought for a few bowls of each and then you'll have a better feel for where you want to go.

I won't hold the fact you might like The Witches' Breath against you, Dusty. :lol: Just smoke downwind of me if we go fishin'. 8)

Dark Star, 2001 -- Like dark, silken bliss.

Dark Star, 2008 -- Waxy, a bit spicy and lightly grassy.

Time does make a difference. 8)

So it's the devil's aftershave you're missing ! That explains much. How much of that any given tobacco absorbs depends on how long it's been sitting there, stacked up where they make it while the scented stuff is being run (and permeating everything around it). (See first picture in the GH Factory thread).

That's the luck-of-the-draw that SG & GH stuff involves. They've always been like that.

I usually storage GH virginia blends for about two years or more.After that, imo ,they are ready to smoke.Before that,there is too much presence of the lakeland perfume and the deep of taste is not the same.

DustyRoundup":tso60f9b said:
So , I think as Shane says I'll try to age it a bit.
And Yak, I asked , and I guess the first sample wasnt too old actually. so IDK?
Don't overlook the fact that, while he may not have had it for long, its possible that it had been sitting on the retailer's shelf for while before he purchased it.

YAK: I checked out the other thread with the Gawith 'storage' and 'machinery' photos...OMG!

Given that those things were likely made during the "Industrial Revolution" I wondered what the seven employees that work there looked like...and after a search I actually found a photo of the lead manager at Sam Gawith. It's just as I thought!

Gringotts_Head_Goblin.jpg

LOL< too funny BH,

Hey? so out of curiosity, I read this morning where you related "Lakeland" to 1792 flake.

But I had to get to work, and all day I was thinkin about it.
I did NOT like the tin note of 1792 flake at all, and I was actually too afraid to put it one of my pipes.

So, is THAT what lakeland style is? because , not knowing , I just thought lakleland was a sweet taste , but smoking a bowl on the way home , I started thinkin I could smell the taste of that 1792 flake.???????
I guess im confused, as to what "lakeland really is ? But the bright CR flake reviews sytates it is a "lakeland " type tobacco.?????

Well...here we go. OK, my understanding is that Lakeland refers to the style of blend made famous by the Gawiths in the Lakes District, to the Northwest of London. There are any number of recipes used for the scents that characterize a Lakeland blend. One of them is what I think of as 'creosote bubble gum'...in 1792, and others. I think there are other blends that use it, plus, other scents...more or less. Many of the scents, like McClelland's VA BBQ sauce aroma, kind of goes away after a puff or two...many of the scents linger longer, some last all the way through the smoke. Strong scent does not equal strong tobacco...but it might. The thing is between the two sides of the Gawith clan they have...what? Maybe a hundred blends! Ya need a damn flowchart to figure it all out. Like there's a plug with a certain name...then the flake version of that plug (like1792)...then a broken flake or somewhat rubbed out version...then a shag cut. But there's also a flake that's like '1792 Lite' or something...little different recipe...a little less aroma. And so it goes. Someone really needs to make the flowchart or like a family tree diagram .(can't believe one doesn't exist out there already) to help us normal (well OK...semi-normal) humans figure it all out.

That scenting stuff gets all over everything in the room. And when the other tobaccos are stored out in the open like that, side by side, cross-contamination is inevitable.