Managing the Rotation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
I noticed a discussion similar to this at The Round Table. But I wanted to ask. How many pipes are too many for a rotation? I realize there are variables involved. Right now I have 25 pipes with two on the way: one from the Canadian Bigfoot, and one from Marco Biagini. I currently rotate 15 pipes relatively easily over a 14 day period. Some obviously I smoke more than others. But I hit all 15 during that time. The other pipes were early ones that I bought or were given to me by friends, family, and students over the past 11 years. They all have vulcanite stems, which until recently had oxidized immensely, but now, since Sas has turned me on to deoxidizing stuff, my vulcanite stems are looking pretty good again. And I'm finally trying a cumberland stem from Sas here shortly.

My concern now is that I enjoy the pipes I have. But there's always more that catch my eye, and the ones I have all have some kind of sentimental value to me. So at the present I wouldn't want to give any away, nor sell them. Should I expect a time when I'll reach a point of too many pipes to smoke? I don't envision ever having enough money to spend in the four digits for pipes. So I don't think I'll be a collector like some do, though I take great pride in the ones I have.

I definitely want to get a Rad Davis or two, and several other name pipes that I currently do not have.

What do you guys do???????????

:farao:

The idea of a rotation is a pretty loose one in my mind.... I have pipes that get smoked twice a week and pipes that get smoked twice a year, depending on what they are dedicated to and how often I smoke that type of tobacco. But I never look at my pipes and think "That one hasn't been smoked since the 17th, so I better smoke it"

I have around 60 pipes. Some I smoke once a week, others once year. I have no rotation, really. I smoke the pipe I feel like smoking as long as that pipe is clean and dry. When a pipe has set idle for more than a year or so, I usually sell it, since, for whatever reason, I am not smoking it. I tend to go through phases of my collection: sometimes I smoke the large bents a lot; sometimes I smoke a particular brand a lot. I'm not too much concerned about what kind of tobacco I smoke in pipes. I only smoke English, but vary between Virginias and heavy latakia blends. I just have never noticed any problem when switching, so long as the pipes are well cleaned.

Though I'm not particularly compulsive in general, I do follow a rotation whereby I smoke certain pipes certain days. I smoke 3-4 pipes per day. My personal idea of pipe collecting is that if I'm not going to smoke a pipe regularly I probably don't need it and my own idea of regular is at least twice monthly. Most of the 40+ pipes I own I wouldn't stop smoking so counting the ones I'm willing to part with to make room in the racks, (have rack room for only about 40), I figure I only have room to add about 13 more pipes period. Keeping that in mind does at least force one to be more focused and picky about what they intend to eventually buy though. :scratch: earl

You will never have enough pipes!You will have some,none or more.But enough?
We don't know that word. :)

Winslow :sunny: