Mandolin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
I miss playing an instrument. I used to play the clarinet in high school and I've been missing having something to play. I've been kicking around the idea of lessons on something of the stringed variety. I was waffling between banjo and mandolin for months now and I've finally settled on mandolin.

I'm picking up a cheap Rogue from Musician's Friend as I've read they are a decent place to start and I don't want to invest a lot until I know it's something I'm going to get serious about.

Does anyone here play?

Not the mandolin BB, but the guitar as a hobby and when the mood takes, and have also recently been learning a few chords on the uke. There is a chap on the BoB though is a v talented musician across a few disciplines - our very own Brewdude. I reckon he might have a bit of mando in him....!

Andrés Segovia - Bach: Gavotte 1 & 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eBQfHJA2Lng" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I play Guitar as well, youtube is a wealth of knowledge on that so I would imagine it would be worth looking at for Mandolin lessons.

Enjoy the experience and if your fingers get sore (which they will) keep persevering, even if it's for only 30 mins each day until your fingertips harden up!

Oh my fingers are good and calloused to begin with from knitting and general abuse in the kitchen and out in the shop. ;)

Never played the mandolin but I did play guitar and banjo for quite awhile as a teen. Learned to play chords when I was maybe 7 but stopped playing for a few years. Never could pick up chords again for some reason. Ended up teaching myself to transcribe the sheet music into something I could read and just picking the individual notes. Don't let yourself get frustrated though. As long as you stick to it and keep practicing you'll be making beautiful music before you know it.

Jim

Stick":7mnp8wq3 said:
Not the mandolin BB, but the guitar as a hobby and when the mood takes, and have also recently been learning a few chords on the uke.  There is a chap on the BoB though is a v talented musician across a few disciplines - our very own Brewdude.  I reckon he might have a bit of mando in him....!
Yes, I'm a mando guy BB. While I'll admit that I'm not as accomplished on it as the guitar I can pick it and get a decent result. I've a relatively inexpensive student model which is a "Dean" made in Korea iirc. Actually I really need to spend much more time with it since it's a way cool instrument.

Like any instrument, you need to put in the practice time to get anywhere. And studying with a competent instructor is fundamental! I taught private guitar lessons for about 15 years and the value between student and instructor is one of the primary considerations. Choose wisely.

Have you played guitar before, or any other stringed or fretted instrument? Mando is kind of in a class by itself given the tuning when compared to guitar (4ths vs 5ths). Get used to one and the other becomes a conundrum!

The skinny neck and small placement of the frets makes for fast movements, and if you have small fingers this shouldn't be a barrier. Fortunately I don't have fat fingers and can manage this well, but those with sausage fingers may have issues.

And there again I'm reminded that one of the finest mando pickers (as well as 5-str banjo and guitar) is Ricky Scaggs and he isn't exactly skinny by any means!

Best of luck on your mando journey BB.

Cheers,

RR

I love the mandolin. Never learned to play, though. Gibson Guitars originally started here in K-Town as a mandolin maker. I saw a postcard once from the turn of the last century of the "Gibson Ladies Mandolin Orchestra of Kalamazoo".
We've always been an odd town.

I've been plucking away and have fallen in love with this instrument. I recently picked up an Eastman MD515 as I've decided to take this seriously. What a lovely little gem it is! My mandolin teacher was impressed with the work I've been doing on my own and suggested giving me more challenging things to work on. Oy! Strum patterns and getting the notes right. Right hand and left hand are learning very slowly to work independently of one another. I'm thoroughly enjoying this journey, although I'm sure Andy is sick to death of hearing Oh Susanna in the key of D and Shortnin' Bread. ;)

Glad to know it's going good for you 'babe. Pretty fun instrument. Keep up those chops, and put in the practice time. There's any number of good books and vids out there to guide you on your journey.

Cheers,

RR