Manhattans

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puff Daddy":9vr76qbu said:
Greg mentioned a zinfandel infusion which sounds interesting but my first thought was a somewhat sweet ruby port :twisted: I could see a real depth of flavor with something like that :D
Actually, I mentioned a Zin port. Some of these are quite delicious. Not as powerful as a typical Ruby, but more like a nice LBV. I figured it would be a nice cooking juice for the dried sours.

Service of the cocktail will definitely yield differring outcomes as well and though I'm a rocks drinker with cocktails like this I wonder how many of you prefer these up?
I'm definitely an UP guy in a cocktail glass. I also, with these, feel that stirring is much better than shaking.

People talk about "bruising" the booze, which is nonsense, of course. But, shaking does bruise the ice, the drink dilutes more, and more air is introduced, reducing the silky smoothness that an exquisite cocktail can have. At Chez Pease, there's not a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

The Woodford is really good stuff at a great price. When you get to BevMo, see if they still have Ritterhouse rye.

Cheers,
Greg

glpease":2qzv4y6z said:
Actually, I mentioned a Zin port.
Ah, so you did. Forgive the misquote, I had a manhattan under my belt at the moment ;) Looks like we were thinking the same thing (or closely so anyhow) as these cherries just scream for a rich, slightly sweet port or desert wine marriage. Another one that comes to mind is a Black Muscat, but with something like that I'd likely utilize a somewhat drier vermouth as the fruit would be considerably sweeter.

I live about 45 minutes from the Montevina winery in the Shenandoah valley, we go there often as it is just a stones throw from one of our favorite places - the Amador Flower Farm, a wonderful nursery with nice gardens to roam and a huge picnic area complete with giant oaks surrounding a nice large lawn and a pair of very large koi ponds. We usually picnic there and stop at Montevina on the way back, picking up a few bottles that can be difficult to find in stores. They have a fantastic Zinfandel port (and occasionally some unique small batch libations like a zinfandel brandy that can only be found on site at certain times) that you are probably already aware of but perhaps some of the other brethren reading this are not - it's a bit pricey but well worth it. Truly delicious stuff.

Click on the image below to read:

jhuggett":2qzv4y6z said:
No bitters in your Manhattan PD?
They didn't have any at the store I went to :lol: Clearly what I made was a pseudo-Manhattan and not a perfect as I had no Rye whisky, so once I decided to go with the Woodfords (darned good stuff so it wasn't much of a concession) the rules and worries fell by the wayside. The true Manhattan is 2 parts Rye to 1 part sweet vermouth with a dash of bitters, but there are so many acceptable variations that it really is now a generic term for whisky and vermouth in some sort of formula. Take a look at the link below. Going back to bartending days - when I used to drink a bit, I seldom do anymore except on a whim such as this - my favorite Manhattan recipe was 4 parts Dickel rye, 1 part sweet vermouth and a splash of bitters served on the rocks with a twist of lemon, properly rubbed along the rim of the glass before being dropped into the drink.

http://www.esquire.com/drinks/manhattan-drink-recipe

Well I got ahold of some Rittenhouse rye at BevMo, and some Noilly Prat sweet and a bottle of bitters. I discovered that the Woodford is just too good to be mixing, it deserves to be enjoyed neat in a nosing glass and is one of the finest bourbons I've ever tried.

I didn't get the 100 proof Rittenhouse, they were out, so I went with the 80 proof. I'll give this a crack in a nosing glass as well just to get a good grip on it's personality. The Manhattans are tasting 'Right' now, with the rye and the bitters. Fine stuff. I had one served 'Up' earlier but I still prefer mine on the rocks, in a 3/1 ratio rye to vermouth with these two brands. Yum! 8)

Hah! The memories. My Grandmother used to always have a jar of full Morello cherries, pitted, submerged in a sweet port. I used to sneak to the liquor cabinet and steel a couple once in a while, not too often not to be caught. I had forgotten about that, but I think I'll start my own stash again. They can stay preserved like that for years...

Wet Dottle":naseuy0v said:
Hah! The memories. My Grandmother used to always have a jar of full Morello cherries, pitted, submerged in a sweet port. ... They can stay preserved like that for years...
Not round here, they can't. I'm figuring they'd be gone in a fortnight, depending on bottle size, of course. ;)

-glp

Puff Daddy":9lyu7rnu said:
Well I got ahold of some Rittenhouse rye at BevMo, and some Noilly Prat sweet and a bottle of bitters. I discovered that the Woodford is just too good to be mixing, it deserves to be enjoyed neat in a nosing glass and is one of the finest bourbons I've ever tried.
It's truly fine stuff. I kept a bottle in a secret place for a while, before my mate found it. "What's this? You sneaking tipples in the middle of the night, or something?"

"Well, um, no. Not exactly. Medicinal purposes, you see. Besides, you bought me this bottle, a lovely gift, I'm sure you recall it, and, um, I don't want guests to drink any of it, you know, accidentally? Such a shame if someone were to put it over ice, or something dreadful like that." The baloney stains were forming under the arms at this point, I'm sure. Bad day not to wear an undershirt.

"Is this glass for medicinal purposes, too? You need a fancy glass for medicine?"

"But, the glass was a gift at the same time the Bourbon was, don't you remember? I'd be just crushed if anything were to happen to it."

Things just weren't going right, by this point. Fact is, she wasn't buying any of it. The Woodford is in the liquor cabinet, now, and my Reidel bourbon glass is safely on the shelf...

I didn't get the 100 proof Rittenhouse, they were out, so I went with the 80 proof. I'll give this a crack in a nosing glass as well just to get a good grip on it's personality. The Manhattans are tasting 'Right' now, with the rye and the bitters. Fine stuff. I had one served 'Up' earlier but I still prefer mine on the rocks, in a 3/1 ratio rye to vermouth with these two brands. Yum! 8)
Amazing, innit? The Rye? The other night, a friend poured a High West Distillery Rendezvous Rye. Outstanding stuff. Definitely not Manhattan fixin's.

I still need to pick up a bottle of Punt Y Mes, and explore its use in a Manhattan. It comes from Carpano, though it is supposedly a bit more bitter than the Antico, but not quite Campari.

Speaking of Campari, here's a recipe for my eponymous cocktail, loosely based on the Negroni. Very refreshing, and a wonderful aperitif: (Hey, what good is it being a Dark Lord and all that rubbish, if you can't name a cocktail after yourself, right? This one is actually served in a few respectable restaurants in the area.)

The Gregorio Cocktail

In a shaker with plenty of ice, stir until well chilled:
2oz Campari
2oz Sweet vermouth
1oz Rye
Squeeze of orange

Serve in a cocktail glass with a twist of orange or lemon peel, or in a rocks glass, over ice, with a splash of Pellegrino and an orange garnish.

glpease":8hp1marn said:
...here's a recipe for my eponymous cocktail, loosely based on the Negroni. Very refreshing, and a wonderful aperitif: The Gregorio Cocktail
:!: And we're off again, Phineas :bounce: :D

............................um. What time does BevMo open ??

Shopping list:
Carpano
Campari
Noilly Prat Sweet vermouth
some kind of fancy cherries......

Ahh!!! Manhattans , my downfall. Tastes like candy to me and I dispose of them as if they were. They have been my ruination on many an occasion.

I in fact have two bottles of Rittenhouse Rye in the cabinet. Very nice stuff for the money. Makes a nice Manhattan but I really prefer Maker's Mark or WT101.

Dribble a little of the cherry juice in and an extra cherry also please!

The Zin Port sounds like a great idea!!

went to BevMo for some bitters and brought home:
4 pack of North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout
Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth
Carpano Punt e Mes sweet Vermouth
Carpano Antica formula 1786 sweet vermouth
Stirrings Blood Orange bitters
Rittenhouse Rye (80 proof)
and a really cool pint glass from Stone Brewery

I got it bad..............and that aint good...;)

rick":4wm52vf4 said:
went to BevMo for some bitters and brought home:
4 pack of North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout
Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth
Carpano Punt e Mes sweet Vermouth
Carpano Antica formula 1786 sweet vermouth
Stirrings Blood Orange bitters
Rittenhouse Rye (80 proof)
and a really cool pint glass from Stone Brewery
I'm on my way. I'll bring ice, and tobacco...

I'll anxiously await your discussion of the Punt Y Mes v. the Antica.

-glp

OK.

#1: Rittenhouse + Antica + Orange Bitters (Stirred)= FABULOSO !!!!

#2: Rittenhouse + Punt y Mes + orange Bitters (Stirred)= Pretty good but bitter aftertaste

#3: Evan Williams 1783 + Antica + orange Bitters (on the rocks in a bucket) = better than 2 but not as good as #1

Verdict:
The sweet vermouth is key.

This Carpano Antica ($27 at BevMo) is Outstanding. The Punt y Mes ($21) is a bit disappointing and Greg is right on when he says:

"I still need to pick up a bottle of Punt Y Mes, and explore its use in a Manhattan. It comes from Carpano, though it is supposedly a bit more bitter than the Antico, but not quite Campari. "

Very true..........bitter is right on, but the Antica is smoother and much more complex and I am NOT the one to try and describe all the flavors in that juice.
VYA is next on my to get list but, for my $$$$$$ moolah its
Carpano Antica
Noilly Prat will probably be my every day SV and Punt y Mes will not again be purchased.

just sayin...............

glpease":o12jmb9v said:
I'm on my way. I'll bring ice, and tobacco...

I'll anxiously await your discussion of the Punt Y Mes v. the Antica.

-glp
Brutha...........I gots a spare bedroom.
You can stay as long as ya want just bring down some BS (and I know, you know what I am talkin aboot !)

ANTICA.
nuff said.
Da bomb......but I have a friend in Fresno who will be bringing me back some Vya next time he's home......so I got that goin for me

I will also add that the Rittenhouse is good but for a cuppa bucks more Ill take the Wild Turkey 101 Rye, please.

Rick, I've been told that there is no shortage of BS when I'm about. I'm not quite sure how to take it...

The Antica truly IS amazing stuff. In fact, sip a little straight, and be amazed at how remarkable the vermouth experience can be. It's got depth and complexity in spades. The Vya is fantastic, too.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up a bottle of Punt Y Mes, and I'm out of sherry. I'm doing a scallop and crab risotto in the next couple days, and that splash of Fino just rocks the world when it hits the pan. (Not to mention a glass or two makes babysitting the risotto during the cooking just a bit easier...)

Now, I'm getting hungry AND thirsty...

glpease":13x6494q said:
Rick, I've been told that there is no shortage of BS when I'm about. I'm not quite sure how to take it...

The Antica truly IS amazing stuff. In fact, sip a little straight, and be amazed at how remarkable the vermouth experience can be. It's got depth and complexity in spades. The Vya is fantastic, too.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up a bottle of Punt Y Mes, and I'm out of sherry. I'm doing a scallop and crab risotto in the next couple days, and that splash of Fino just rocks the world when it hits the pan. (Not to mention a glass or two makes babysitting the risotto during the cooking just a bit easier...)

Now, I'm getting hungry AND thirsty...
DAY-UM !
Make sure you bring that risotto when ya come down :cheers:

I did, as I usually do with a new spirit, taste them all separately and did find the Antica to be amazing.
True story:
I was checking out and I asked the clerk about VYA.
He said he's heard of it, BevMo doesnt stock it but.......................hey ! You should try this Antica. Its great.
So I go back there and, ya know, its $27 and Im already a looooooong way from the $10 I wanted to spend on some bitters, but I say....WTH ! Lovies outta town, so Ill just git me some.
WOWZEEWOWWOWWOW, was that the pick of the week, or what ??

You should still be able to enjoy the Punt e Mes as a refreshing mid day relaxer by pouring 2 ounces of it over ice in a bucket, adding either soda water or tonic and a thick, juicy orange slice. Low in alcohol content, a nice palate freshener and a good way to let the vermouth express itself. Often a drink like this can be as effective as a nosing glass for exploring a libations nuances 8)

been researching all week long................

come to find out, the Punt y Mes aint half bad with the right rye (bourbon).
I like it best with Evan Williams 1783 and a few drops of the orange bitters.
Didnt care for it much with the Rittenhouse and when poured over WildTurkey 101 (not rye) made me feel ashamed I had wasted perfectly good WT.
Lousy.
Still want to get some Rittenhouse 101 and need to restock the WT101 Rye, as well.

sidenote:
Ive been making them a bit differently this week.
Chill a glass (bucket) with ice.
Pour ingredients into shaker full of ice and stir until frozen.
Strain back into chilly glass full of fresh ice.

Wonder if I'll ever order them that way if I go out ? :lol!:

So in my desperation last night, whilst not having all of the ingredients to make a proper manhattan, I grabbed for my bottle of Gentleman Jack and decided I was going to have a drink after a particularly stressful day. Typically I would never use this to make a manhattan, as this happens to be a sweeter variety of Whiskey, and not quite dry enough to mix well with vermouth, but like I said, I was desperate. Looking around for an alternative to sweet vermouth, I remembered I had a bottle of Sandeman Founders Reserve Port. Yes. I did what you are thinking. A dash of port into the already chilling whiskey, and I poured that into a martini glass that I had chilling in the freezer.

I must say, this was really quite tasty. I would suspect that with a drier whiskey, or more so, a proper rye, this would be quite delicious.