Maple pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortcircuit

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was curious if any of you have any experience smoking a pipe made from maple? Reason being is I just had two maple trees cut down from my backyard and was thinking about trying to make some pipes from the pieces they are leaving if for no other reason than a bit of practice. I'll have to let the wood dry for a while before attempting to make anything from it, but it could be fun and give me something to do. What do you guys think. Is it worth it to try and make something smokeable?

I have several maple pipes resembling corncobs. They smoke very well; especially for those few instances when I smoke an aromatic. I'd sure as heck give it a shot. I have my great grandfathers self-made cherry pipe with a footlong arched stem. Still smokes dern good!!!! FTRPLT

shortcircuit":gfencpvl said:
I'll have to let the wood dry for a while before attempting to make anything from it, but it could be fun and give me something to do.
I suggest you boiling it to get rid of resins before you attempt to carve it, it will very likely improve the taste of the final product.
Here's what I did for appletree: wood in boiling water along with salt (2-3 tablespoons of sea salt in 2 liters), changed the water when it changed the colour. Repeated until the water stayed clear. Took something like 4-5 hours. I think the salt affected the taste a little in the beginning, but a lot less than same wood without boiling. I wonder what could be done to get rid of the salt?

Doc Manhattan":aon8xgbz said:
JesseW":aon8xgbz said:
I wonder what could be done to get rid of the salt?
Maybe one or two final boils in plain water?
I was afraid to do that because I thought that the wood will split, it's a known side effect that can happen at least if you boil it completely without salt. But maybe you are right, it could be that one or two boils did not hurt.

I wouldn't risk it with good briar, but if it's just scrap maple from his lot, a little trial-and-error wouldn't be terrible.

The wood will split as it dries out after being so thoroughly soaked. Salt or no, the biggest problem with this whole idea is curing the thing afterwards and not having it check badly. Bringing the humidity down in a controlled environment over a period of years seems like a bit of overkill for a pipe presumably made from scrap lumber. :D

I would say this is an excellent way for you to hone your skills before you commit to quality briar. I wouldn't even bother with the boiling. Carve it, smoke it gently to get a cake. If it smokes like crap, who cares! You at least got some carving experience.

My vote:

Get after it!

p.s. I would try it but I surely would amputate a finger trying something like this.

Texas Outlaw":vrih5385 said:
I would say this is an excellent way for you to hone your skills before you commit to quality briar. I wouldn't even bother with the boiling. Carve it, smoke it gently to get a cake. If it smokes like crap, who cares! You at least got some carving experience.

My vote:

Get after it!
That's my vote as well, just do it.
I did this with a scrap piece of poplar once, it looked like shit and didnt smoke so well, but you could smoke it.

Not an entree-pa-manure in the bunch....

Scrap the pipe idea... Instead....

Carve Syrup Containers out of it... Set up a website with some false testimonials (just to get started mind you) proclaim from the roof tops that maple syrup will actually taste soooo much better out of the wood it came from, and don't forget its good for long term storage... Aged syrup..nectar from the gods and wharnot... Sell the containers at astronomical prices... Use that money to corner the market on a particular Danish Carver.. Give two oe three away to the big high muckety mucks of pipedom...sell the rest at astronomical prices..take that money and buy you own island.. Don't forget to plant Maple trees on it though..

puros_bran":85l8jfhu said:
Not an entree-pa-manure in the bunch....

Scrap the pipe idea... Instead....

Carve Syrup Containers out of it... Set up a website with some false testimonials (just to get started mind you) proclaim from the roof tops that maple syrup will actually taste soooo much better out of the wood it came from, and don't forget its good for long term storage... Aged syrup..nectar from the gods and wharnot... Sell the containers at astronomical prices... Use that money to corner the market on a particular Danish Carver.. Give two oe three away to the big high muckety mucks of pipedom...sell the rest at astronomical prices..take that money and buy you own island.. Don't forget to plant Maple trees on it though..
Most people have to climb to the top of a mountain, and talk to some guy in a funny hat for that kinda info. Fortunately, we have our resident omnipotent being on the forums!

+1 for PB :cheers:

My very own island. That sounds really nice. How long do you suppose it will take? A few years? Just gotta make sure I have a good business plan.

On a serious note. I'll be sure to read the articles on curing wood from pipedia. Really though, I might let some dry for a good period of time, but I'll probably start the first one within a few days of getting the wood cut. I have made a few pipes out of briar with decent results. I'll be sure to let you all know how they turn out.

Sir
you can also try after you boil it a few times to place it in a microwave and cook it yhou will see a little sap come out. I heard mr cook does this with his pipes before he sand blast them maybe it will work with maple too good luck
Best Regards
Richard