Margate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayhackel

Reaction score
I like Penzance, but have not tried Margate. Penzance seems to get a lot of press, but I see no comments about Margate. Can anyone comment on Margate, how it compares to Penzance and perhaps what marks from other brands are similar? Many thanks in advance.

A middle-of-the-road English shag, with more of a Latakia edge than Penzance. O.K., although the fine cut can be annoying if you prefer your English blends in ribbon (or for that matter crumble cake) format. Also, it is soaked with a fairly good deal of humectant (due to the cut, I suppose) - much more than I have noticed.in the other ET offerings. I currently have a tin which has been open for over six months, and it is still fairly moist.

I haven't smoked Penzance in a long time, but I opened a can of Margate several days ago, and I've been smoking that and McClelland Jubilee. Margate is similar to Jubilee, but heavier on Latakia, and to my buds (and nose) it doesn't have the satisfying complexity of Jubilee - comparatively flat in fact. Its a fast-burning cut that delivers pretty much the same taste from top to bottom. I couldn't even tell that it has humectant - I haven't detected any goopiness when it burns.

Steve

I was reading these descriptions and wondering if there is two different Margate's out there. I haven't smoked any this winter, but went though several tins last winter. A fine ribbon cut, but not a shag. Similar to Dunhill Standard Mixtures and London Blend. Similar also to Red Rapparee and F&T Waterloo #2. Basically a Medium to full English or better yet a Balkan, with plenty of orientals to my taste. Good enough for me to put 20 or so tins in the cellar. A bit moist in the tin, it drys quickly to perfect smoking moisture.

Penzance is a crumble cake and heavy on latakia. More creamy than Margate. More English than Balkan. Very different blends.

Thanks for the information and perspectives. It sounds like I need to try a tin. I like Balkans and they seem they seem to be more rare than latakia English type blends, which I also like.
I probably ought to try Pembroke as well. I've normally stayed away from flavored tobaccos on principle, but those principles are based on little experience, so I ought to challenge them a little.
I'm also glad Carlos mentioned Red Rapparee. I tried it and a couple of other Rattray's blends in the Eighties and didn't like them, but should probably revisit them after 25 years.

I couldn't love Margate more than I do. It is a benchmark tobacco for me. It is one that I think calls attention to itself. It keeps "waving at you" as you smoke it. Great flavor, and burns really well in classic shape pipes. In my exp.

Cheers!

Mikem":qrm6bk4v said:
Wet Dottle":qrm6bk4v said:
I prefer Pembroke, which is Margate with cognac. Truly delicious.
I too put in a vote for Pembroke.
I like my cognac on the side, or up front...or where ever, just somewhere, anywhere, soon. No matter how much of Pembroke I smoke, it doesn't give me that warm bacchanalian glow that a snifter does…

Margret on the other hand, I thought was sort of thin after the lushness of Penzance. I know they are different blends, but it’s like drinking coffee all day, then sipping a weak cup of tea. It’s a good blend, but more of a introduction to English blends in my opinion than a benchmark.

My only Margate purchase - bulk, one month ago - is shag cut.

Prefer Pembroke, but neither is a desert isle blend for me.

Buddy

Just smoked my first bowl of Margate tonight while watching the SOU Address. I've only had one bowl, but am impressed. It seems to me to be a middle type English. There was a little bite, but that could just be from smoking too fast due to the excitement of the SOU. <g> Mikem is right that it seems light after Penzance, but thats not always a bad thing. Actually, I thought it had great flavor, and the lightness was more of a texture thing. Not sure what I mean, but that's my impression. My first thought is that Penzance is for the end of the day while Margate may be an all day mix for me. We'll see what I think after smoking the rest of the tin. Thanks again to all for their thoughts.

Margret on the other hand, I thought was sort of thin after the lushness of Penzance. I know they are different blends, but it’s like drinking coffee all day, then sipping a weak cup of tea. It’s a good blend, but more of a introduction to English blends in my opinion than a benchmark.
I'd like to retract my previous statement. In hindsight, when I tried Margate for the first time I was alternating between Old Ironside, Penzance and a few high octane "Lat-bombs." I remember thinking Nightcap was starting to taste a little light at the time. Last night, I dug around in my "cellar" because I have some Margate that I received in a trade a few years ago. I popped it open, and packed a bowl into my latest love, the Cavicchi, and had a very satisfying smoke. It almost has a cedar taste to it now, with a few years on it, still a touch of sweetness, spice and campfire, I'd say it is a benchmark English blend.

Carlos":n14q9mo4 said:
I was reading these descriptions and wondering if there is two different Margate's out there. I haven't smoked any this winter, but went though several tins last winter. A fine ribbon cut, but not a shag. Similar to Dunhill Standard Mixtures and London Blend. Similar also to Red Rapparee and F&T Waterloo #2. Basically a Medium to full English or better yet a Balkan, with plenty of orientals to my taste. Good enough for me to put 20 or so tins in the cellar. A bit moist in the tin, it drys quickly to perfect smoking moisture.

Penzance is a crumble cake and heavy on latakia. More creamy than Margate. More English than Balkan. Very different blends.
I really kind of agree with Carlos' description here. While I am very inexperienced in pipe tobacco, I always felt English blends would have a deeper smokier flavor, but higher concentrations of Orientals would give it more zest and that perfume \ floral touch. To me Margate falls more into the latter category. I find significant perfumey notes with Margate and it will bite if smoked too fast.

Penzance was more of an English blend to me. Deeper heavier flavors more smokey in nature without the perfume \ floral notes. While I like Margate very much, I did perfer Penzance.

Or do I have it totally backwards?