Mario Grandi Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I reckon you get exactly what you pay for with MG pipes. The cheap ones are kinda cheap - the stem is I think ABS or something - very plasticy. The more expensive ones are nicer pipes and seem to have better stems. There's nothing "wrong" with any of them that I have seen, but you can't pretend that you are getting Ferndown quality silver banding on a 40 dollar pipe either - they are what they are, and that is a very quickly produced "handmade" pipe. So they are a little eccentric. If you want a perfect one-of-a-kind pipe well executed from top quality materials, well.... Jeez, you just can't get that for under 100 bucks, I'm sorry.

Sasquatch":57arbaig said:
FWIW I reckon you get exactly what you pay for with MG pipes. The cheap ones are kinda cheap - the stem is I think ABS or something - very plasticy. The more expensive ones are nicer pipes and seem to have better stems. There's nothing "wrong" with any of them that I have seen, but you can't pretend that you are getting Ferndown quality silver banding on a 40 dollar pipe either - they are what they are, and that is a very quickly produced "handmade" pipe. So they are a little eccentric. If you want a perfect one-of-a-kind pipe well executed from top quality materials, well.... Jeez, you just can't get that for under 100 bucks, I'm sorry.
You’re right! I’m under no illusions that I’m getting a $300 pipe for $77. It’s a good looking pipe and if it smokes well, I’ll be a happy camper! I don’t know whether I’ll buy another one. Just thought I’d give this a try and see what happens.

I’ve heard great things about Mario Grandi’s fast shipping. It may take two days to get from Rome to Montreal, but my experience with Canadian Customs is that it will likely sit there for a week or more. That’s what usually happens when I order from Cup o’ Joe’s and smokingpipes. My orders usually take about two weeks.

Have a great weekend!

Oh I know - I'm in Alberta. 3 days, both times. Stuff from smokingpipes is 2 weeks or more. MG has magic shipping.

Sasquatch":a8nxd8ft said:
Oh I know - I'm in Alberta. 3 days, both times. Stuff from smokingpipes is 2 weeks or more. MG has magic shipping.
Sasquatch - You were right! Two days from the time they shipped it, four days from ordering it. You're also right about smokingpipes. Usually takes me two weeks or more to get it. Says something about the postal systems of the U.S. & Canada vs. privately owned FedEx!

I haven't opened the package yet. After I smoke the MG for a while, I'll report back on its merits (or lack thereof).

14/09/2011 9:44 AM BROSSARD, PQ J4Z3V8, CA Delivered
14/09/2011 8:00 AM SAINT-HUBERT, PQ J3Z1G4, CA On FedEx vehicle for delivery
14/09/2011 7:47 AM SAINT-HUBERT, PQ J3Z1G4, CA At local FedEx facility
14/09/2011 3:52 AM MIRABEL, PQ J7N1C1, CA International shipment release
14/09/2011 3:48 AM MIRABEL, PQ J7N1C1, CA Clearance in progress
14/09/2011 3:40 AM MIRABEL, PQ J7N1C1, CA In transit
14/09/2011 2:30 AM MIRABEL, PQ J7N1H2, CA At destination sort facility
13/09/2011 10:40 PM KINGSTON, ON K7M8R7, CA In transit
13/09/2011 6:00 PM MISSISSAUGA, ON L5S1Z7, CA In transit
13/09/2011 2:34 PM MEMPHIS, TN 38118, US In transit
13/09/2011 2:27 PM MEMPHIS, TN 38118, US Departed FedEx location
13/09/2011 6:56 AM MEMPHIS, TN 38118, US Arrived at FedEx location
13/09/2011 4:40 AM NEWARK, NJ 07114, US Departed FedEx location
13/09/2011 2:36 AM NEWARK, NJ 07114, US Arrived at FedEx location
12/09/2011 7:01 PM PARIS 95705, FR In transit
12/09/2011 7:00 PM PARIS 95705, FR Departed FedEx location
12/09/2011 4:11 PM PARIS 95705, FR Arrived at FedEx location
12/09/2011 10:37 AM FIUMICINO, RM 00187, IT In transit
12/09/2011 10:30 AM FIUMICINO, RM 00187, IT Left FedEx origin facility
12/09/2011 6:25 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Zeno Marx":bpmqieg1 said:
I don't smoke expensive, grandiose pipes (though, I used to), but off-center drillings, cockeyed stem fittings, and other such hasty manufacturing cannot make up for the price or price/size. Looking down at that mess would drive me nuts. Considering I used to sell $9 bucket pipes that didn't suffer from any such shoddiness, I can't fathom why these pipes are sold like that. Are MGs factory thirds or fourths? Is the MG stamp the final stage before getting turned into sawdust or bandsawed in half?
Yea, it's one thing to have minor cosmetic flaws quite another to have sloppy drilling and fitting. I have a hard time believing MG is an offender of the latter. :shock:

Just picked a Mario up from ebay a couple days ago so I'll soon have a first hand account of the quality.

I heard that MG also makes olivewood pipes. Has anyone seen these? They don't seem to be sold on ebay.

Just received my Mario tomato in the mail. Large with a significant tobacco chamber, thick walls, an attractive and unique design, along with a beautiful finish.

However...eek, I just noticed that the drill hole really is a bit cockeyed...on second look not a big deal I hope. The hole comes out right where it should at the bottom center of the tobacco chamber. It's just that those lines in briar that lead away from where the hole was drilled and into the chamber are not coming straight out. I don't see how that should affect things but only one way to find out....

wait for it...

...filled the pipe with Carter Hall. It's smoking very cool and staying lit. No problems with the draw nor with the pipe going out. Sits comfortably in my mouth an looking in the mirror...

...yes, I'm looking quite dashing. :lol!:

My phone wasn't taking the best pics, but here is one.

20110924002007.jpg

I tried to get a pic inside the bowl to show what I was talking about in my last post, but with flash off it's only a dark hole and with the flash on it's just a bright blur.

Here's a better pic from the ebay listing I won:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120755846059&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:US:1123

Here...its really pretty easy to copy 'em...very nice pipe, I think:

$(KGrHqIOKo8E4iUW6HUiBOMIOpLi-Q~~0_3.JPG

You just right click on the photo...click on 'properties' at the bottom of the pop up screen and highlight then copy the image address. Then come over here and click on the image icon at the top of the posting area and paste the copied address in there and it magically appears at the bottom of the text you've written in. Its just that simple!

Ok guy's, based on this post I ordered one.

48 hours after placing ordering it arrived from Italy, Wow.

For the price it's a lot of good looking wood, going to break it in Saturday if I can wait.

Thanks, John

MARIO GRANDI FULL BENT STAND UP FREE HAND FREE STYLE
mario_10.jpg
[/url][/img]

Got an email on 10-25 from Italy;

Hi,sorry for my english
thank you for buying a mario grandi pipe
the shipping whit express courier.
Please, note that from the 25th of October
to the 2nd of November we won?t ship the items because of a national
holiday.
all the best Andrea
future pipes roma.

MARIO GRANDI FULL BENT STAND-UP SANDBLASTED OVAL FREE HAND FREE STYLE

Just bought one several weeks ago.....great quality, great smoker too.
MarioGrandiLHside.jpg

MarioGrandifulltopview.jpg

MarioGrandiRHside.jpg

I found my file transfer cable, so I thought I would share a few pics of my Mario Grandi's referenced earlier in this thread.

Here is my very first MG, I paid $45, plus $15 shipping. Despite it's length, it is very well balanced, a very comfortable clencher, and once I got her broken in, she really smokes as well as any pipe I have in my collection.

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

This is my second MG, a full bent rusticated Brandy with silver band. This pipe has no flaws, and has an ample bowl that is perfect to settle in with for a game or movie.

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00095.jpg