Mars Cigars GH&Co Brown Pigtail Order - IT'S IN!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's neither, BC. TR.com is not a good encyclopedia for tobacco, it's rife with holes and opinions, unfortunately. It's all most people have access to, though.

I don't know much about GH&Co's Brown Pigtail, but I know I like it. It's strong, earthy, quality, and a unique form. Alfredo knows more about it than I do. I assume it's an uncased/unflavored version of something else GH&Co makes that they're willing to set aside for people that have an "in" like Mr. Rutt.

8)

Is this simalar to to G and H's happy brown boggie? How would the payment work? I'm new to group buys. :?:

I'm in for a pound. I can call Mike and pay him direct or paypal you the money. Whatever works best.

Kyle Weiss":7d6oeqo7 said:
I don't know much about GH&Co's Brown Pigtail, but I know I like it. It's strong, earthy, quality, and a unique form. Alfredo knows more about it than I do. I assume it's an uncased/unflavored version of something else GH&Co makes that they're willing to set aside for people that have an "in" like Mr. Rutt.
As far as I know neither the SG nor GH brown ropes are even significantly topped. I've been smoking Dark Flake for years and only recently do I taste a very faint Lakeland scent. As regards the GH brown ropes, and I've really only smoked them, the Brown Irish X, (Happy) Brown Bogie and Brown Pigtail are all very much the same; the only difference is the diameter, growing smaller in the order given. I've only recently been persuaded that the size of the rope makes allows some difference in taste and always preferred the B. Bogie as it seemed to have more of the same taste as Brown Irish X has. The cut of the tobacco changes as the diameter decreases and as such combusts differently, affecting taste.

I've noticed taste similarities in all the dark GH HO blends. I had this thought when preparing some Brown Bogie. The tobacco is dark except for the brown wrapper, and my experience in cigar-land where taste is decisively determined by the wrapper made me think that the taste of the brown ropes is similarly determined by its wrapper. I would love to know what it is. Anyway, following what we know about cigars, I'm thinking it is decisive and that the black tobacco provides the earthiness whereas the wrapper adds a significant cigar note. Given the smaller diameter I think the cigar flavors would be most pronounced with the rope with the smallest diameter, B. Pigtail in the same way as in the cigar world where a corona or panatela with a smaller ring gauge is more flavorful. Said another way cigars are more flavorful the larger the wrapper/binder-filler ration is. The binder/filler is the divisor; the smaller it gets the larger quotient. Dividing by a ring gauge of 38 (~corona) produces a larger number than 52 (torpedo).

In sum, if you get brown pigtail expect a largely untopped tobacco. I'm used to the strength of Dark Flake, but the brown ropes are a couple of notches more potent.

Pre-ordering here will give Mike about the interest, but I would suggest that we request that everything be done through his site. He can probably put up a Pigtail icon easily. Everyone buys and pays as normal; Mike ships as normal. No chance for miscommunication; the procedure stays the same. Everyone is responsible for their order and the coordinator on BoB and Mike are saved possible headache. I think Mike suggested this, and following the same logic Rich at 4noggins said the same last fall when I proposed the Oriental Dusk group buy. This is what we did last time we bought the Pigtail.

You're welcome! Glad that my time in HO land is helpful. I'm just getting re-acquainted with brown rope and will soon have 1000 g of Black Irish X, which tastes very different than the brown.

Don Alfie speaks. :D Thanks for that.

I flirt with the High Octanes, but there's something about this stuff that's remarkable.

Which reminds me, I may as well get some Happy Brown Bogie while I'm doing this.

So, there's nothing "to" this, it isn't a "group buy," per-se, it's merely a way to let Mars Cigars know we're serious and will buy what he orders. Unless you live in Oregon, Maryland, Washington, California or Vermont, when Mars/Mike Rutt orders this, you will buy whatever amount you said you would directly through him and he will ship it to you. If you do live in any of the five states listed above, and you and I happen to be buddies or you're an established BoB member, I'll work with you to get you your portion, and work out payment somehow.

This is just me being nice, and following through with my desperate hope watching my dwindling supply of this stuff dwindle further as I smoke it. :lol:

Finally, from Mike at Mars: "It should be around the price of the other ropes."

There you have it.

8)

I found this both on "Tamp and Puff" and "Tobacco Reviews," the below posted by ChuckMac on TP who may well be our own "williamcharles":

Brand: Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Tin Description: All our twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler is again, predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos. Black Twist, because the cooking process removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, provides a milder smoke than the brown twist. Kendal Twist - The traditional strong smoking & chewing tobacco, provides a very strong but remarkable cool smoke. Unsuitable for the beginner. The sweetened and rum flavoured variety add additional interest to the smoke Sliced Black Aromatic - Manufactured with the same tobacco as brown twist, but then put through a further process of cooking under pressure to turn the tobacco black. The cooking process does remove some of the stronger elements from the tobacco so black twist is not as strong as brown twist, but this is only relatively as it is still a very strong smoke. The twist rope is thin cut into small round segments before the addition of the aromatic top flavour Sweet Rum Twist - The main feature of this tobacco is the addition of maple sugars blended with rum to the 'filter' leaf. This is then spun into a rope form before being made into a roll which is cold-pressed overnight We also produce extra sweet Twist and are able to add a wide range of flavours, including black cherry, aniseed, liquorice and apple.

The italicized portion upholds what my palate is telling me about the same/similar tobaccos used by GH in its dark HO blends. Dark Flake is listed as having dark-fired Malawi and dark Indian air-cured. The above also says that the wrapper is dark-fired and that all of the tobacco is VA. Some respond to this last statement with amazement as the tobacco in rope tastes nothing like what they are used to tasting as VA. I agree. I've read that what we call VA is nothing other than the generic descendent of the tobacco the American Indians were growing when the Europeans came. At any rate this strain does not taste anything like rope. To call this tobacco a VA or the tobacco base in 1792 VA is vague and meaningless.

The tobacco in Royal Yacht tastes like a VA, and it is very strong; though I'm sure there are others, VA is not noted to be strong. In this sense also is it a misnomer to toss of the adjective "VA" when describing the tobaccos above.

It might be one of the myriad of urban legends that tobacco abounds with (like the Latakia is cured over smoldering camel dung), but I've read, FWIW, that Virginia tobacco is the variety native to the Carribean, which was milder than the North American gut-wrencher.

Then again, there have been so many genetic tinkerings by now that origin is probably meaningless.

:face:

From the surface research via dusty old books and modern lore, I agree that the leaf we enjoy has been selectively bred for domesticated smoking. We'll probably never know the lineage and locales the exploited mutations and preferable qualities from which they started. Who knows, maybe some filthy, leather-bound tome will surface in the basement of a Southern family that managed to write down centuries of research, what all the indigenous peoples had and how they treated tobacco, continuing what Whitey did when he got a hold of it... but usually that gets about as far back as "...the spirit of the North gave us a sacred plant, and it was tobacco--the end," to "...we have a cash crop England's gonna sh*t their pants over, plant it and harvest it quick as ye can..." :lol:

*shrug*

Thanks for sharing that, AB.

Slide":fbro9acd said:
I'm in for a pound. I can call Mike and pay him direct or paypal you the money. Whatever works best.
ditto Kyle...whatever Mike likes, no worries, but I'm down with the pound. :p

Feel free to PM if you like.

One person is unable to commit to their pound, something about finances.

It happens.

Mike Rutt hasn't gotten back to me if this is a "go" or a "no" yet, but we keep communicating, and we're still well over the four pound mark.

I'd like to get in but am having a problem getting the B. Bogie to burn. I don't remember having it before with any of the brown varieties. I started by slicing a thin piece and rubbing the slices out, but no go, burn-wise. Then I dried this down into the crunchy realm; still no go. Then I minced the dried pieces; small particles; still no go. I probably have to relight 3 Xs more than with a "normal" bowl.

My packing has evolved into drizzling tobacco to the top of the bowl, drizzle for maybe a quarter inch of overflow, and light pressure once at the end to push the tobacco down, but just a bit. I'm getting good results with this such that I get a good draw, most of the time. I'm saying this so that you can judge whether the packing is causing the problem, but I doubt it. Other tobaccos seem to like a loose pack as regards burn.

Sorry today sucked at work. Wasnt on here as much as usual. In in for eight ounces.

That's weird, AB.

My method with the pigtail has been cutting 1/8" coins with scissors, cutting each coin in half into what look like little tri-corn hats, and then rubbing out those pieces. Once they're rubbed out (sometimes the dark centers stay a little chunky) I dry 'em just a tad, load and go. Works ace, just kind of let instinct do the work.

8)

Mike said he'd like to get an order total to get things going. He said it will take a few months, so patience will be necessary; prepayment is not required. So far I have this:

KW: 16 oz
DrumsAndBeer: 8oz
Brewdude: 8oz
Slide: 16oz
soylentgreen: 8oz
peterschantz: 16oz
RonA3597: 8oz
Todd Harris: 8oz
Slartibartfast: 16oz
Somedumbjerk: 8oz

That's 6 lbs even by my reckon.

Cadfael: ? (are you still in?)

Anyone who is in the no-no states Mars won't ship to, we'll work things out when it gets here via PM.

The sooner we have a promised total, the sooner he'll get on this.

8)

Reading all the comments I think this is out of my strength league - I would have stayed in if I was needed but I do not seem to be.