Marty Pulvers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
A year or so ago LL,Pdiddy, or Pease put me onto Marty Pulvers...

Bear over at Sp.com is a good salesman... And we all know Frenchys a good dude to buy from... But Marty is in a league of his own..

He's kinda like the stereotypical TV show spoof of a used car salesman.. I never had the honor of visiting his shop before it closed,but I can tell ya I would have loved it.. I may be wrong, but I'd almost bet he wears polyester plaid sears store suits from the 70's.. Lol.. I've yet to buy from him, so I'm not getting anything out of it, but if you've never been, you owe yourself the joy of visiting pulversbriars.com, you may have to google it...
but I promise even if you don't find a pipe in your price range that you love you will at least get a chuckle out of some of the descriptions....

Just started looking through his pipes. Seems to have some pretty good pricing. Anybody ever bought from him?

Marty is the kind of iconic figure in the world of pipes that GLP is.

:face:

I've bought from him. Marty is tops. Met the guy a couple times at pipe shows too, a gentleman and very entertaining.

He's on my top five list of pipe dealers! :cheers: He may have actually moved into the top slot now that Mike Glukler has closed up shop....

Marty's the Man!!! I keep going back for more!

I hope to meet him in person some day soon.

Four or five years ago I bought a pipe from him and found him to be honest, straight forward (yet entertaining) and down to earth type guy. I too would like to meet him in person one day.

Jim

Clueless... Although I've yet to seal a deal with him I'd trust him as much I would the other two I mentioned in the OP... As has been stated he is a Giant of the pipeworld..

And besides how can ya not trust a guy that says

'Beautiful pipe, look at that grain, it does have some sand pits, but I only see them because I have this magnifying loop straped to my head, and it usually gives me a headache, makes me quite dizzy too... Anyway the only real flaw is it has a draw like sucking on a dowel. If one of you slobs want it, $35'

Lol...

If he ever gets his 'Chinese Menu' restocked I'm going to buy some just to say I did...

Found in a Castello's description....

"Here's a good deal for you, thanks to a customer I suckered into selling this for below market value.  It's comfortable, has an open draw and is in excellent condition.  Should I tell you what such a pipe would cost if you bought it new?  It lists at $910.  Because, despite being overpaid for the pathetic quality of work you turn out, that is still well beyond your budget, you can get this pipe for only $350, plus shipping, and tax if you live in CA."

Crap... I admit I'm overpaid, and I really don't do much, but its still outta my budget......

Marty and I have been friends for a very long time, but my impressions are not biased by that fact. On the contrary, we'd never have been able to be friends for this long if he wasn't such a good and decent fellow.

His descriptions may be witty, but they're truthful. If he doesn't like something, he'll tell you. But, he'll also tell you the fact that he doesn't like it, doesn't mean you won't. And, if you find a fault that he somehow missed, it's ONLY because he missed it. Period. He doesn't try to pull the will over anyone's eyes with descriptions like "Pristine" and "Like New" unless it's absolutely accurate. Neither will he try to inflate prices.

I was in his shop once day when a customer came in asking him what he thought about a certain cigar in the humidor. His response was something like, "I think it's terrible, and overpriced. You might like it. Some guys do. I just don't understand why, when there are better, less expensive cigars in there. I'll be happy to help you find something."

THAT is the kind of service that makes it worth paying even California prices. I miss his shop, but am glad he's still doing his on-line business.

And, he wouldn't be caught dead in a plaid polyester suit. Jeans, polo shirt and a Yankees cap, yes.

pipetongue1":i1215j60 said:
If he wears a stankees hat, he's outta here! :tongue: Ken :tongue:
What, you'd rather him wear a Mets cap? ;)

Uh Greg, best just drop it...... If Ken or DPG percieve that you don't think the anti-christ will come in Yankee pinstripes they'll quit buying your stuff... Now for a normal schmuck like me that wouldn't be a huge loss, but I'm betting between the two of 'em the paid for your '76 Pinto...

On a serious note, I mean no disrespect towards Marty with my description of my mental image of him... I'm betting dude could sale a pipe at a American Heart Association rally.... And I'm damn glad he's on our side.

puros_bran":th76is2t said:
but I'm betting between the two of 'em the paid for your '76 Pinto...
The Pinto exploded real good. Now, I'm shopping for either a Geo Metro, or a pristine AMC Pacer. Now, that's a bitchin' ride.

frankluke":p8lj1aaz said:
yankees cap :x

and all this time i looked up to marty :lol:
Okay, okay. Marty is a little like Rorschach in the Watchmen graphic novel. His cap changes to that of different teams under different circumstances. Now that I think about it, I've always seen it as a Cubs cap.

-glp (Not making ANY points today)

"Look at the hand sowing on this Cubs cap, absolute beaut. If I didn't have another there's no way I'd let one of you scrubs have a chance at it. I thought the C was backwards when I priced it, but then I realized I was viewing it through a mirror, my loss, your gain $35"

glpease":96p7jjul said:
puros_bran":96p7jjul said:
but I'm betting between the two of 'em the paid for your '76 Pinto...
The Pinto exploded real good. Now, I'm shopping for either a Geo Metro, or a pristine AMC Pacer. Now, that's a bitchin' ride.
Nice rides all, but I really liked the AMC Gremlin myself.

I think it's Frency with the Yankee hat.

(my 2 pennies)

pipetongue1":c8mmsd96 said:
Hey, I had a Pinto and a Gremlin! :oops: :oops: :oops: Ken
And you're a Sox fan :shock: :x :lol:

Last time I checked, our Yankees were well out in first place :D

Not battling for a wildcard like some other teams I could mention :tongue: