Mason Jar help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPcreation

Reaction score
Hello all! Great community here and I'm loving all the info available. I have a pretty silly question but I couldn't find the answer in any of the searchs. I'm going to start aging some tobacco and I was unsure how to seal the mason/ball jars. I originally assuming you'll boil the jars to get a vacuum but after reading a few threads, it seems like I can just hand tighten the jars and the tobacco will seal them naturally over time?

Thanks a lot!

LPcreation":m9ltstnb said:
it seems like I can just hand tighten the jars and the tobacco will seal them naturally over time?
Yup. It doesn't happen right away, but after a while that little button thing on the lid will depress and you're good to go.

From my experience, you don't really need tobacco to be vacuum sealed for proper aging. As long as the container has a good seal and will not allow the tobacco to dry out, you're OK. Also, pick a cool + dark place (or at least out of direct light) to keep the jars / tins.

Dave_In_Philly":yyvghxny said:
LPcreation":yyvghxny said:
it seems like I can just hand tighten the jars and the tobacco will seal them naturally over time?
Yup. It doesn't happen right away, but after a while that little button thing on the lid will depress and you're good to go.
This has been my experience over the last decade.