mason jars versus weck or bail-top jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmw

Reaction score
I recently posted a question on a Dutch site (warning , it is in Dutch) about good addresses to buy mason jars for tobacco storage. They told me they prefer weck or bail-top jars instead (G.L. Pease mentions these in his FAQ as an acceptable way of storing tobacco, next to mason jars), which look like this:

2yx3hpl.jpg

I'm sure these will do fine for short term storage, but how do they compare technically to mason jars? My gut feeling is that mason jars might seal better and the screw-on lid is more likely to stay air tight over very long stretches of time than this kind of pressurized lid. However, I don't have any facts to back this up.

What is your experience? There seems to be a problem with questions like this, being that everyone has his own solution that they swear by (which can vary locally, apparently). So I suppose everyone thinks that what they are doing is the best thing since sliced bread. However, I've noticed that virtually everyone on this site is using some kind of mason jar, which leads me to think there might be something to it.

Your input is very much appreciated!

I do not like storing long term in Bail jars. Heard about lids popping etc. for smoking day to day storage they are good to use. Mason Jars with the screw down rings just sit a lot more solid for me. Those big pink rubber seals just don't do it for me. I have no real concrete reasons for my preference, its just my personal choice. I guess I am not helping much here.

A few weeks ago I was visiting my local B & M. While I was selecting some cigars I heard a low, hissing sound. Turning my head in the direction the sound was coming from I noticed that it originated from a bail-top jar, filled with cherries put on alcohol. Needless to say, the lid blew right off as soon as the tobacconist touched the jar to inspect what was going on, spewing purple goo all over me. So yes, I've experienced blowing lids at first hand very recently.

Of course, this was with a jar that had too much pressure from being overfilled with the fermenting cherries in alcohol and this isn't very relevant to storing pipe tobacco. Nevertheless, whenever I see a bail-top jar I take a few steps back, now.

fmw":ajisdi9h said:
A few weeks ago I was visiting my local B & M. While I was selecting some cigars I heard a low, hissing sound. Turning my head in the direction the sound was coming from I noticed that it originated from a bail-top jar, filled with cherries put on alcohol. Needless to say, the lid blew right off as soon as the tobacconist touched the jar to inspect what was going on, spewing purple goo all over me. So yes, I've experienced blowing lids at first hand very recently.

Of course, this was with a jar that had too much pressure from being overfilled with the fermenting cherries in alcohol and this isn't very relevant to storing pipe tobacco. Nevertheless, whenever I see a bail-top jar I take a few steps back, now.

:lol!: :lol!:

Don't worry. I got a free Cuban longfiller out of the incident that is now comfortably resting in the humidor waiting for a good day to be lit up. It's awesome how free smokes can placate a man ;)

fmw":r94m4bkf said:
Don't worry. I got a free Cuban longfiller out of the incident that is now comfortably resting in the humidor waiting for a good day to be lit up. It's awesome how free smokes can placate a man ;)
I'm gona start gifting cherries in booze sealed in bail jars to all my local tobacconists!
I'll keep you posted MW! :lol!:

Anyone? I'm about to receive my first bit of bulk tobacco and I have to find some storage method as soon as possible.

Some time ago, someone posted here an interesting investigation about Ball jars that concluded that they are bacteria-free when purchased. I would go for those.

fmw":wdjqsa27 said:
Anyone? I'm about to receive my first bit of bulk tobacco and I have to find some storage method as soon as possible.
You can't go wrong with Mason jars,,,fill em up, screw em down tight, done,,,,

I tried the bail top jars, but could smell tobacco coming from a few I had put away indicating leakage,,,

I also tried stainless steel bail top kitchen canisters with a silicon sealing gasket from a restaurant supply store,,,real pretty all lined up but they leaked too,,, my wife keeps rice and pasta in them now,,,

mark":n5rhuxkf said:
fmw":n5rhuxkf said:

I tried the bail top jars, but could smell tobacco coming from a few I had put away indicating leakage,,,

I also tried stainless steel bail top kitchen canisters with a silicon sealing gasket from a restaurant supply store,,,real pretty all lined up but they leaked too,,, my wife keeps rice and pasta in them now,,,
I second Mark here!

Piet Binsbergen":g9m7lffr said:
mark":g9m7lffr said:
fmw":g9m7lffr said:

I second Mark here!
Third it here. The seal never worked for me.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for some kind of scientific comparison, but in the end these personal experiences work just as well. The problem, of course, is getting these jars locally, but I have contacted a Dutch webshop selling something that looks promisingly similar to Ball jars.

Thanks, Piet! I've checked, but it doesn't look like they are available here in the Netherlands. I'm quite hopeful about the jars I've seen online at the Dutch mailorder company, but waiting for their response to some questions before I order them.

I have kept my tobacco in bail-top jars for 8 years now and I have not any bad experience. On the contrary, the tobacco has aged very well and has kept the humidity and aroma.

Around here, Indiana, we tend toward Ball jars, a cousin of Mason jars, manufactured locally(Muncie,Indiana). Originally both Mason and Ball manufactured bail top jars, but with the development of self sealing twist lids and rings, due to economy of production and better canning characteristics, the bail type are relegated to ornamental or short storage items. For this reason I recommend the self sealing twist lid and ring variety.
Why risk your tobacco to outdated technology.

The only experience I have had with bail top is two I've had for normal smoking. I stopped smoking for a couple years and came back. had some 2015 and some 1q in two separate jars. It was dry as could be and couldn't be saved.

While this possibly isn't the norm compared to some. It immediately resulted in the purchase of mason jars to prevent it happening again.

On the bright side, there was less than 2 ounces of 2015 left when it was left alone. SO not much lost, but also could be a reason why it dried out as well since it held a pound originally.

I have not had good long term luck with the bail top jars either. I think the uneven pressure that is placed on the lid causes the gasket seal to compress unevenly and eventually leak. Just my experience. Mason/Ball jars are great for long term. 8)

Nothing like a good Latakia Alfredo.