Mason jars vs Original tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar2you

Reaction score
Whatjars is anyones opinion about long term storage of tobacco better to leave sealed in original tins or repackage into mason jars. How about insuring integrity of older tins?

Jars are definitely way better, but if you decide you want to sell a blend you no-longer fancy, you need to have them in their original tins.

As much as I love cans, I pull it out and stuff it in a mason jar,,,leave a little wiggle room and screw it tight,,,don't be afraid to crank on it, you can't hurt it,,, they're made to take a beating ,,,,throw a name on it and the age of the can,,,I don't know but I've been told the older cans are the best,,,

Personally, I only only jar the bulk, believing the tins to be quite adequate for long term storage. I live in a dry climate so rust is not much of an issue.

Muddler":psxoye58 said:
Personally, I only only jar the bulk, believing the tins to be quite adequate for long term storage. I live in a dry climate so rust is not much of an issue.
Mudd, just peered into a Solani and Butera tin........... the baccy is young, dude you should see the inside of the tins......
Scary man, I'd hate to see them after 5years, I'll show you tomorrow!!!!

I am thus all ears here for now. I too tend to agree with you tho'!!!

i recently opened a 30+ year old tin of rattrays black VA and it was perfect but after the tin was open for a week or so it started to show a little rust bear the seams so I jarred it immediately. I have 10 more tims of rattrays from this era and was just curious if I should be concerned

For long term storage I tend to leave the tobacco in the original tin if at all possible, once you open the tin whatever changes the tobacco had been going through ends at that moment, kind of like letting the Gennie out of the bottle. I do transfer all opened tins to mason jars so that the blend stay fresh and maintains proper moister levels.

Hello lads, i just recieved 1/2 pound of samuel gawiths fvf. I boiled the jar dried it out washed the lid and dried it out tightened finger tight and put jar back in boiling water for about 1 minute . Of course i didnt hold the jar under the water the water went about 3/4 the way up the outsied of jar. after all that i read some info here and there and wondered if any of that was even neccasary? What methods of jarring your tobacco are the best. I was really afraid to do much with the fvf since it is so expensive. So what is the overall consensus on the best method to jar your tobacco?
And is it the overall consensus that jarring it is better than leaving it in the tin unopened?

A new Mason jar, unopened, is sterile. I put my bulk tobacco in these. If the jar is a little warmer than the environment, when you put the lid on and tighten it, it will seal when when it cools. You'll hear the lid pop...most of the time this happens at night, when it's cooler. The oldest jar that I have is some 6 yr. old SG 1792. It's very good. Don't make it any more difficult than it is. Use a clean jar, clean hands, good tobacco, seal with hand tightly, label, keep in cool dark place.

I don't use quarts anymore because I dropped a quart full of Bayou Morning. :(

I use the half pint jelly jars. I also use these for multiple tins that I'm trying for the first time.

For the special tobacco that friends give me, I use the squat, fat and fancy half pints.

I label mine by using a Sharpie and writing the company, blend and date of tin or the date of being jared, in some cases. That way when I finish a jar, I can remove the label by wipping with alcohol. A white address type label is easier to read and find but, I don't like to scrape labels.

For what it's worth.

Bill

I leave in original tins. I do agree that some tins (especially British) develop rust inside over time. But I am not convinced that the rust actually does any harm to the tobacco. The tobacco in British tins, like those used by Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth & Company, is wrapped in foil paper or a plain paper inside, and does not contact the tin surface (probably because of the rust potential??). Last year I opened a 5 year old tin of Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake; the tin was so rusty on the inside that I could literally pour some the rust out after I removed the tobacco. But...the tobacco was great; no problem at all. The American blenders, like C&D and McClelland, seem to use tins that have a coating inside that prevents rust.

My smoking progenitor Lloyd who taught and gave me all his worldly smoking pipe possessions before he died, also gave me a few tips on how to smoke and clean a pipe, and to keep tobacco:

1.) Pack loose, smoke slow.

2.) A wadded-up piece of newspaper and a few twists in the bowl keeps the cake smooth and clean once you're done.

3.) Put your tobacco tins in zip-tight bags, because I wish I had them when I was your age.

So, I do that. It ain't pretty, but they work in combination with the tins. *shrug* I don't have problems with rusting, and I also live in an extremely arid climate.

Do all tobaccos get better with age ? I have an opportiunity to get an 8 ounce bag of penzance and wouldnt smoke all o it in near future but i like it. DO latakias age like all the rest in jars? Would the penzance get better with age in a jar as well? Hope someone answeres beforee the local shop closes toaday

Just pick it up. It won't get worse with a little age that's for sure! Jar half and smoke half 8)

The general consensus is that lat doesn't benefit too much from aging. But it will mellow a bit which may or may not be what one is looking for.